Setting up a VPS?

Loosewired

Reaction score
Credits
Played with Linux for a while now and quite impressed. Worlds apart from Windoze.
I have paid for a VPS and am trying to learn how to assess a remote desktop running Bodhi Linux on an old laptop with Remmina installed. Have a regular wired DSL Router/Modem and Mango router after that with VPN installed.
Trying to figure out what to do with ports and so on all the way from the server to me, I would like to do this without getting unnecessary attention and leaving my system open.
I looked up some videos but they dont quite seem complete, as apparently I ought to do be doing something with port 22.
Being a basic user, is there a complete guide to setting up a VPS, or someone who knows how?

Being a basic user, is there a complete guide to setting up a VPS, or someone who knows how?

That is too generic a question. There are a zillion possible ways to answer that, depending on your actual goals with the VPS.

That is too generic a question. There are a zillion possible ways to answer that, depending on your actual goals with the VPS.
The goal is to get Ebay accounts for hobby trading after being suspended without reason or explanation after 15+ years of clean account. Should I put exact providers names and so on?

So, you just need email?

You can do that with any control panel, easily enough. You'll want that to keep things simple.

I'd look for free web hosting control panels and pick the one you like best. It's possible to do this all in the terminal, but that'll be more of a learning curve than simply installing some control panel and running with it.

Your VPS provider may have ready-made images ready to roll out that have various control panels, saving you the time of manually installing them. Many VPS providers have something like that.

The goal is to get Ebay accounts for hobby trading after being suspended without reason or explanation after 15+ years of clean account. Should I put exact providers names and so on?
You can just create a new Gmail or Outlook account to use to create a new Ebay account?

You can just create a new Gmail or Outlook account to use to create a new Ebay account?
No, nope. Not anymore. I tried that. This appears to be happening to a lot of people. Apparently the 'suspension' is done by AI to sniff out vpns/proxy, bank details, address. You are treated like a scammer with no explanation leaving you as to guess why, and you can never appeal or get a new account. The only option I can see is an undetectable browser (costly) or vps. Even BIN without an account is trouble, as an account is set up automatically when you buy, and then immediately cancelled if detected even with tor and a temp email. That wouldn't be so bad if you get refunded, I am owed by Ebay, not the seller. It's a real mess and will have to go through written complaints procedure. In the meantime , got to think smart.

No, nope. Not anymore. I tried that. This appears to be happening to a lot of people. Apparently the 'suspension' is done by AI to sniff out vpns/proxy, bank details, address. You are treated like a scammer with no explanation leaving you as to guess why, and you can never appeal or get a new account. The only option I can see is an undetectable browser (costly) or vps.
Hosting your own mail server is not as easy as it sounds, especially for someone without any Linux experience or someone has never setup any running services on Linux. There are easier options, you could get a payed Proton mail account or you could host your emails on another paid provider where you could use your own domain name for your email if you have one and if you don't have your own domain buy your own domain. But if you still want to run your own mail server there are containerized solutions but even that you will probably not be able to do as you no experience running services on Linux and you get bots hammering your ports.

Last edited:
The mail part of it is not so much the problem as a regular free email account should work as long as its fresh from the new IP, fresh bank ect with no VPN that side of it. Then surf for a few day to collect cookies and finally open new ebay account in relatives name and address.
I have actually managed to establish a connection via Remmina to bring terminal up, but I dont see a remote desktop upon connection so I presume no GUI is actually installed in the Ubuntu VPS. Watched a few videos and everyone elses remote desktop appears right away. There is obviously something missing but not sure what to do now. What should be on the server to get an actual desktop?

Members online