See all installed pakages/software in GUI

Chrisgayle

Reaction score
Credits
Hello,
Is there any way to see all installed pakages/software in GUI, not in terminal/CLI.
If not there is only way to see installed packages is in terminal only. then is there any package which make it display. Like what system monitor app did it shows system detail in gui not in terminal.

It's one of the menu options if you install "Stacer".

That'll show you what the system knows is installed. If you manually compiled something and it's not from a repository, it may not show it.

there is also gnome-software

1.png

Hello,
Is there any way to see all installed pakages/software in GUI, not in terminal/CLI.
If not there is only way to see installed packages is in terminal only. then is there any package which make it display. Like what system monitor app did it shows system detail in gui not in terminal.
Despite your preference for a GUI view, a simple and efficient way of seeing all the packages you have installed is to create a file with the list of packages with a terminal command such as:
Code:
apt list --installed > pkgsInstalled
and then you can simply open the file pkgsInstalled with a GUI program that can open text files since the output file pkgsInstalled is a text file list of the packages installed.

If you want a more detailed listing of packages installed, you can create a file similarly with the command:
Code:
dpkg -l > pkgsInstalledDetailed
and similarly open that file with a GUI program such as a word processor or text editor.

It's also possible to view the files in the terminal itself with a command such as:
Code:
less pkgsInstalled
less pkgsInstalledDetailed
Use the up and down arrows and q to quit. Simple and efficient.

Th
It's one of the menu options if you install "Stacer".

That'll show you what the system knows is installed. If you manually compiled something and it's not from a repository, it may not show it.
Thanks sir, actually I slowly seeing things in Linux, that's why I try to find answer in internet and in internet mostly I found command to see installed app, which is also ok for me, but still I think maybe there some app which shows this installed pakages and I didn't find it, now I get it.

Despite your preference for a GUI view, a simple and efficient way of seeing all the packages you have installed is to create a file with the list of packages with a terminal command such as:
Code:
and then you can simply open the file pkgsInstalled
Thanks sir,
Yes I did the same apt list --installed > install.txt

Still i wanted to know is there any gui way to see this and I find it.

Thanks sir,
Yes I did the same apt list --installed > install.txt

Still i wanted to know is there any gui way to see this and I find it.
Yes, there is a GUI that will provide a display to view the installed packages. It's the synaptic package.

You can install synaptic if it's not installed. It can then be started from a terminal, or a menu item from the Desktop Environment, or can be run from a configured icon on the desktop.

Once synaptic is opened, to see the installed packages, use the mouse thus:

On the lower boxes on left side panel choose "Status'
On upper menu items on the same left side panel choose "Installed"

The output in the main window to the right then shows the installed packages which you can page through. That's how it works on this debian machine.

Synaptic has a detailed help manual inside itself so there's a good chance one can learn about all it's functions inside the program.

Yes, there is a GUI that will provide a display to view the installed packages. It's the synaptic package.

You can install synaptic if it's not installed. It can then be started from a terminal, or a menu item from the Desktop Environment, or can be run from a configured icon on the desktop.

The output in the main window to the right then shows the installed packages which you can page through. That's how it works on this debian machine.

Synaptic has a detailed help manual inside itself so there's a good chance one can learn about all it's functions inside the program.
Ok I check it, thanks again to explain the overview of synaptic.

This is great. I didn't know this, or had forgotten about it. If only there were a way to export the results to a text file.

Code:
and then you can simply open the file pkgsInstalled with a GUI program that can open text files since the output file pkgsInstalled is a text file list of the packages installed.

If you want a more detailed listing of packages installed, you can create a file similarly with the command:
Code:
dpkg -l > pkgsInstalledDetailed
and similarly open that file with a GUI program such as a word processor or text editor.

It's also possible to view the files in the terminal itself with a command such as:
Code:
less pkgsInstalled
less pkgsInstalledDetailed
Use the up and down arrows and q to quit. Simple and efficient.
@osprey
Thanks for this. Clearly written and easy to understand.
I did it and in 3 minutes I could see the list in either LibreOffice Writer or my text editor. Great job!
OG
TC

Regarding to packages installation.
What are these flatpak, snap, and appimage.
I read that these are packages installer and packaging format.
But then what I use now, when I install any pakage by running command "apt install" what is running did I use any of these mentioned installer which I don't know, or I use something else. I install some software from official repository and some I download from internet then run apt install.
Can anyone tell me what is these in simple way please.

flatpak and snap are distro independent package mangers (installers) you can use them to install software instead of classical apt .
Ok so you are saying there are many package manager/installer in Linux some are inbuilt comes with os and some are 3rd party like this flatpak and snap. (Like Android)
Am I guess it right?
Then which is best or which is mostly used. Can all work same means install every package which os can handle?

Hi Chrisgayle,
When I saw this the thought occurred to me that maybe the best way for you to learn about Linux is to download one of the distros, install it on your computer, and then explore it to see what is where. In other words, get acquainted with Linux by using it.
My personal preference is Linux Mint MATE. {That's just my preference, not everyones.} One of the reasons is that I found it to be comfortable to work with. My transition from Windows was pretty easy, using Mint.
Hope this helps.
OG
TC

Chris is actually already using Ubuntu.

t'other Chris (Wiz)

Ok so you are saying there are many package manager/installer in Linux some are inbuilt comes with os and some are 3rd party like this flatpak and snap. (Like Android)
Am I guess it right?
Then which is best or which is mostly used. Can all work same means install every package which os can handle?
There are a few basic distros like debian, readheat, arch and so on. Which have its own package manager/installer apt(debian),yum or dnf (redheat), pacman (archlinux) . The most distros use this distro as base and to up her changes drivers and so one. All distros have her own package tree and need dependencies for every single software. flatpak for example build his own package tree inside the distro so its the same on debian and arch for example. I hope I have explained it correctly. :)

My personal preference is Linux Mint MATE. {That's just my preference, not everyones.} One of the reasons is that I found it to be comfortable to work with. My transition from Windows was pretty easy, using Mint.
Hope this helps.
OG
TC
Thanks but I already started using ubuntu. I view some videos about mint and I find that very much look like windows/Mac interface which is good for person like me. But I still choose ubuntu because I find most of tutorial links related to ubuntu and many packages support debian distro much easy. So that why I choose this. Also I install gnome so gui interface wise it's got easy.

There are a few basic distros like debian, readheat, arch and so on. Which have its own package manager/installer apt(debian),yum or dnf (redheat), pacman (archlinux) . The most distros use this distro as base and to up her changes drivers and so one. All distros have her own package tree and need dependencies for every single software. flatpak for example build his own package tree inside the distro so its the same on debian and arch for example. I hope I have explained it correctly. :)
Thanks I get it, but I still say it's similar concept to Android installer, or more accurately say Android is similar to this concept. :D

Thanks I get it, but I still say it's similar concept to Android installer, or more accurately say Android is similar to this concept. :D
Yes and no. Android is based on java so you have the most dependencies solved by the core system and you are only install scripts. On debian for example you have trees of libarys that must be solved to run a final application and there are not installed by default.

Latest posts