Security on different distributions?

Dibunom

Reaction score
Credits
hi, looking for Linux distributions, I found, for example, Puppy Linux, I find it very interesting that there are different options.

How to know if a linux distribution is reliable to work with?

That is, can you know if it may contain malicious code that can send files without the user's consent?

Puppy Linux distribution, being only a few MB, can it be safe as standard Ubuntu? What do you think of that distribution?

I had such concerns when I decided to move to Linux and I figured out that my best bet was Debian, their work goes under a lot of scrutiny because many distributions are based on it, but that just me, none can know for sure, we just betting

You can look at things like reviews, taking into consideration how many people use the distro. Others will have gone before you and not noticed anything malicious. The source code is open and available for you to read, and others have gone through it at some level.

A smaller distro might actually be more secure, as it has less software. That's less of a chance for vulnerabilities to be present. Everything is pretty much insecure, which is why we get tons of security updates every month. (That's not a bad thing. It means we're finding and fixing security holes.)

The NSA and Military, typically use Redhat based Distro's.

Members online

Latest posts