Second monitor detected but displays "no signal" - Output HDMI-0 has no monitor section

Aicha28

Reaction score
Credits
Hi,

I'm trying to connect my Laptop (Mint 19.1) to a second monitor (EIZO) with a VGA (for the monitor) - HDMI (for the laptop) cable. The monitor is detected in the Display panel but it's showing "no signal" no matter which resolution I use.
This is the output of my xrandr

Code:
Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 2646 x 1024, maximum 16384 x 16384
LVDS connected primary 1366x768+1280+256 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 0mm x 0mm
   1366x768      60.02*+
   1280x720      59.97 
   1152x768      59.95 
   1024x768      59.95 
   800x600       59.96 
   848x480       59.94 
   720x480       59.94 
   640x480       59.94 
HDMI-0 connected 1280x1024+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 376mm x 301mm
   1280x1024     60.02 +  75.02*
   1280x960      75.04    60.00 
   1152x864      75.00 
   1024x768      75.03    70.07    60.00 
   832x624       74.55 
   800x600       72.19    75.00    60.32    56.25 
   640x480       75.00    72.81    66.67    59.94 
   720x400       70.08 
VGA-0 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)

According to what I read, I need to add the monitor section in the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file, but I couldn't generate this file no matter what I did !

The other issue, is that the monitor is detected but I get only one provider :
Code:
$ xrandr --listproviders
Providers: number : 1
Provider 0: id: 0x58 cap: 0x9, Source Output, Sink Offload crtcs: 6 outputs: 3 associated providers: 0 name:TURKS @ pci:0000:01:00.0

Can anyone help, please?
Thank you.

Attachments

• second monitor.png
    second monitor.png
    23.8 KB · Views: 694

Ordinarily - I don’t think you can plug your laptop into two external monitors at the same time.

Your graphics card probably only allows you to output to one external monitor using either the HDMI, or the VGA port.

So you have the choice of simultaneous output via LVDS and HDMI, or LVDS and VGA. Not all three - sadly!

That’s been my experience with my last couple of laptops anyway!

Unplug the hdmi monitor and the vga one will probably work!

That is strange.. so you're just trying to attach one monitor to your laptop - I thought you had laptop, two monitors and the 2nd external monitor wasn't working correctly.

Any issues i've ever had w/ external monitors, it ends up being the cable. Is there another cable you can try, or another ext monitor you can try temporarily?

Also, you said hdmi laptop side, vga monitor side? Are you using an adapter on the cable?

That is strange.. so you're just trying to attach one monitor to your laptop - I thought you had a laptop, two monitors and the 2nd external monitor wasn't working correctly.

Any issues I've ever had w/ external monitors, it ends up being the cable. Is there another cable you can try, or another ext monitor you can try temporarily?

Also, you said HDMI laptop side, VGA monitor side? Are you using an adapter on the cable?

Thank you for your answer.
I have only one monitor. I ordered a VGA cable, I'll try it and tell you.
I'm not using an adapter, one side of the cable is VGA and one side is HDMI.

Ordinarily - I don’t think you can plug your laptop into two external monitors at the same time.

Your graphics card probably only allows you to output to one external monitor using either the HDMI, or the VGA port.

So you have the choice of simultaneous output via LVDS and HDMI, or LVDS and VGA. Not all three - sadly!

That’s been my experience with my last couple of laptops anyway!

Unplug the hdmi monitor and the vga one will probably work!

Thanks for your answer.
The LVDS is the monitor of the computer. I'm trying to connect my computer to only one external monitor.

Thanks for your answer.
The LVDS is the monitor of the computer. I'm trying to connect my computer to only one external monitor.
Yes, I know LVDS is your laptop screen.
Sorry - I misunderstood your post a little. I thought you were trying to connect two external monitors to your laptop. I thought you had one working (HDMI) and were having problems with the second one (via VGA).......

In that case - it sounds like a problem with the HDMI->VGA cable.
AFAIK HDMI and VGA are incompatible I don't think you can just plug a cable that goes from HDMI->VGA without some kind of adaptor to convert the signal from HDMI to VGA.

There are HDMI->VGA cables available that have the adaptor circuitry built in. And if your cable IS one of these - then I can only assume that the cable is faulty somehow.

But if your laptop has a VGA port - it's probably cheaper and easier to just use a standard VGA->VGA connection between your laptop and your monitor.

Otherwise, you'd need to plug a HDMI->VGA adaptor into your computers HDMI port and then use a standard VGA cable to connect the VGA output of the adaptor to the VGA port on the monitor.

If your cable/adapter are okay, don't forget that you may need to use a "hotkey" on your laptop to redirect the video from your laptop's display to the external port. I have 2 Lenovo laptops, and they use the F10 key, but an HP laptop I have uses the F4 key, and yours may be something else. You may need to use the Function key (Fn) along with the hotkey to make the switch. The F-keys have icons to help show you... look for the one that looks like a monitor, or check your instruction manual.

F8 on a dell inspiron

the place where /etc/X11/xorg.conf is stored differently with some distros, and in rare cases has to be built

i'll look into LM 19.1

and welcome to the site :)

chris turner
wizardfromoz

Both my monitors are plugged into discrete graphic processor unit. No solution found, only a workaround being to switch between virtual terminals until it powers on

$ while true; do printf '%b' "Changing VT..."; sudo chvt $(($RANDOM % 64)); read; printf '%b' "Changing VT..."; sudo chvt 2; read; done

Members online