Screensaver for Pi OS + wayland?

abmvk

Reaction score
Credits
I know there is a screensaver for X11, but does anything exist for wayland, that also works on Pi OS?

Wayland does not support screen savers: it does not have any provision that allows screen savers to even exist in any meaningful way. If you value screen savers, that’s kind of a problem.

Adding screen savers to Wayland is not simply a matter of “port the XScreenSaver daemon”, because under the Wayland model, screen blanking and locking should not be a third-party user-space app; much of the logic must be embedded into the display manager itself. This is a good thing! It is a better model than what we have under X11.

But that means that accomplishing that task means not just writing code, but engaging with whatever passes for a standards body or design committee in the Wayland world, and that is… how shall I put this… not something that I personally feel highly motivated to do.

That doesn’t sound very appealing indeed. But if I just want something like an aquarium-app, in the GUI, would that be available? I found an aquarium for X11, but nothing for wayland.

dumb question but why are you wanting a screen saver? those went out with the CRT monitor. LED and LCD monitors do not burn the way the old CRT did so there really is no need for a screen saver. Probably why you are having a problem finding one.

If you are looking for something pretty on the screen while you are away you can always have a video play in a loop. or something to that effect. Most systems just blank the screen after a while which does the job of conserving energy, remember that a computer running a full screen graphic like that uses more power and creates more heat.

Not a dumb question at all. I want it just for the fun of it. I don’t even need it to be a screensaver. An app with a good aquarium would be nice as well. Or anything like it.

There are nice aquariums on YouTube, if you have enough data bandwidth:

great, those may do what you are looking for and you can download them and run them with VLC fullscreen.

This thread might be worth reading:

I've read that XWayland supports screensavers.

I also read about someone that went so far as to install Wine and use Windows screensavers but that seems way over the top to me.
I am one that WILL NOT use wine. something about allowing windows programs to run on linux makes me very very very nervous. Consider that windows viruses are actually windows programs. I prefer to us alternativeto.net and get a proper linux program that is an alternative(better) to windows version.

I am one that WILL NOT use wine. something about allowing windows programs to run on linux makes me very very very nervous.

I'd probably use it if I had a reason to. I don't actually need any Windows software, so there's no reason for me to use it. I do miss Crimson Editor, but I'll survive. I've survived without it since 2007, I suppose.

tbh: there is no way I am going to use Wine :)

Oh, me either. It does look like you can use XWayland (while using Wayland just fine) and have a screen saver.

Also, now that I think about it...

OLED monitors suffer from burn-in. I wonder if screen savers would be appropriate for those? Well, assuming you showed the same content on your system long-term, such as a system tray.

When Mint 18 came out...the screen savers were removed of cause some people had a big whinge
t2309.gif
without knowing why.

It's funny how people still want them as CRT Monitors haven't been around for a very long time.
1710368063999.gif

Oh, me either. It does look like you can use XWayland (while using Wayland just fine) and have a screen saver.

Also, now that I think about it...

OLED monitors suffer from burn-in. I wonder if screen savers would be appropriate for those? Well, assuming you showed the same content on your system long-term, such as a system tray.
My real usecase is I like to have something nice to look at on one screen when working on another :)

When Mint 18 came out...the screen savers were removed of cause some people had a big whinge
t2309.gif
without knowing why.

It's funny how people still want them as CRT Monitors haven't been around for a very long time. View attachment 18807
It’s funny how people assume to know why other people like something. I am not worried about burn-in at all.

My real usecase is I like to have something nice to look at on one screen when working on another :)

Your reason is just fine by me. I'd look into XWayland which should run just fine with real Wayland and may already be available for those things that are still on X11.

Members online