Reuters is reporting 240 Million computer may end up in landfills.

kc1di

Reaction score
Credits

e-waste-640x427.jpg

With a bit of forethought, there could be an absolute bonanza in store for people keeping their eyes peeled for 'throwaways'

Google tells me that 40 million computers are thrown away annually. There's another 100 million phone chucked into the trash.

They've got cost effective ways to recycle much of that stuff. It still ends up in landfills. It often ends up in impoverished nations.

I don't really mind the waste if we recycle it AND we're replacing less efficient parts for more efficient parts.

There's a tiny chance that this will do some good. They will be discarded, shipped to a third world nation, and still be useful enough to be used by their populous. I'd say that is unlikely, but it could happen.

I don't mind people sending their old P4 to the recycling center. Yes, it only has a 200 watt power supply but it takes four times as much energy to perform the same work as a modern CPU. Recycling that stuff makes good sense to me.

Man, I hate typing on a phone. I need a BT keyboard and mouse. I also need some USB C external monitor. TV

@Condobloke :-

I don't know what things are like in the part of Oz where you live, Brian, but some of us were discussing something along these lines in a thread on the Puppy Forums a few years back.

Barry K. was saying about having found an almost brand-new Dell Optiplex on the kerb-side one trash collection day, near where he lives. We then got talking about how things "worked" at the local recycling centres. He was saying that if you took summat to the centre to recycle - and changed your mind at the last moment - to NOT make the mistake of allowing it to touch the ground. Because if you DID - and I concurred with this, because it's exactly the same at our recycling centres, here in the UK! - once it's made contact with the ground, it instantly becomes "their" property. If you change your mind at this point, and put it back in your boot, in "their" eyes, you're committing theft.......you're stealing "their" property.

So if, for instance, somebody else likes the look of "your" trash, and thinks they could do summat with it, it's fine if it goes straight from your boot into their boot.....so long as it doesn't touch the ground in the process. Mostly, this has to do with the fact that OUR local councils over here make a bit of money on the side by operating a "shop" on the premises, and selling good-condition 'trash' that they think somebody else might be prepared to pay good money for. Essentially, they see your 'removing' something that's made contact with the ground as cheating them out of revenue.....

Laws around this kind of thing vary greatly from country to country.......and even from one area to another within the SAME country. It's worth checking the local bye-laws if you're planning on going dumpster-diving!

It CAN be a bit of a minefield.

Mike. ;)

Basically kerbside dumping in Oz looks to be a form of recycling:

My like adopted son works for a non profit company called PCs for people. They take discarded computers wipe the drives and refurbish them. They then provide them to people who otherwise could not afford to buy a new computer. They will install Windows or Linux for the individual. The computer from witch this is coming came from them. It is a Dell Optiplex 3020 with Linux Mint 20.2 installed.
Always,
Wildman

LOL We don't have it in my area because we don't have centralized trash services. There are literally zero local municipal entities at my house and in the surrounding area. I realize this sounds weird, but we're in an 'unincorporated township'. (I've pondered the effort to incorporate it and it's not that difficult and it's not expensive to actually do the incorporation bit, assuming the people around agree.)

Anyhow, the other areas have what they call 'bulk pickup'. This is when you can put items larger than you'd have hauled away weekly. You can even through a freezer out for bulk pickup.

People use this as a shopping spree. (We're not a very rich state.) People also come through looking for things that will be good scrap value and take that. I'm convinced that less than 50% of what makes it out for bulk pickup is actually picked up by the company that provides the services.

I may have politely asked the locals if I could put stuff on their bulk pickup pile.

NOT make the mistake of allowing it to touch the ground. Because if you DID - and I concurred with this, because it's exactly the same at our recycling centres, here in the UK! - once it's made contact with the ground, it instantly becomes "their" property. If you change your mind at this point, and put it back in your boot, in "their" eyes, you're committing theft.......you're stealing "their" property.

Here in northern nsw, things are not quite as hard as that....if you were to remove said item from the boot or the trailer and put it in the ground.....then ponder for a minute or two....do i really want to part with that?.....and pick iy bakc up and chuck it back in the cat etc.....99/100 there would be no drama at all.
if on the other hand you dumped....and came back later.....a short friendly "discussion" with the tip guy would be in order. A couple of beers may change hands
Or ...if you can drive to the tip face and you can see it...just pick it up and straight to the boot without further ado. If it is a tip where you have to pay....that could be a problem.....so you would then revert to the "discussion" method.
But the tip guy becoming all territorial and giving you a hard time....Generally no.
He could easily find himself in a "cold" position at the local pub, were he to come the raw prawn in that manner.

It's all about karma....what goes around, comes around.

@Condobloke :-

Yah; generally, I'd agree with you. Trouble is over here, there's too many "little Hitlers" either in - or working FOR - local government. Small people with a little bit of power, and it goes to their heads. "It's more than my job's worth...."

You find 'em everywhere.

(shrug...)

Mike. :p

In Australia, generally, the further you get from the cities, the friendlier the people are....and that includes the 'guy at the tip'

Where I live recycling is a joke.

There are so many BS rules now that the system has about what they will take and not take.

I don't care anymore I just toss it in the trash bin on trash day and off it goes.

Set the junk out on the curb big trash day the junk vultures pick through it and toss it everywhere.

I don't care if it goes in the land fill I'm tired of the system making everything a big PITA.

Our What we call a Transfer station (what you over pond call a tip) Actually has a swap shed where people occassionally put things like old computer bicycles household Items that are still useful for anyone who wants them to take. My son has got several bikes for his kids this way and with minor repair they get a bike that useable and sometimes would be quite expensive. But Once in awhile they will be a complete computer system there also. So we have it good in some respects. They leave the stuff in there for about 2 weeks and if it does not go it's recycled of trashed. I've gotten a couple fairly modern computers out of it and loaded linux on them and given them away.

So looking forward to seeing what systems may appear in the next couple years :)

@kc1di :-

Now that sounds like a sensible system, Dave. I'm surprised it hasn't been more widely adopted.....especially once the locals get to know about it.

Mind you, I wouldn't like to say where our lot are concerned. Councils over here - who are generally responsible for local trash-collection - DO love their "red tape"..... :p

I don't think anybody over here who works for government - local OR otherwise - truly does so with the express intention of helping others. Oh, they might have lofty ideals when they first start out, but at the end of the day, it boils down to one thing.....lining their own pockets. (That, and the fact that most seem to be the type that LOVES throwing their weight around.)

Mike. ;)

Last edited:
@kc1di :-

Now that sounds like a sensible system, Dave. I'm surprised it hasn't been more widely adopted.....especially once the locals get to know about it.

Mind you, I wouldn't like to say where our lot are concerned. Councils over here - who are generally responsible for local trash-collection - DO love their "red tape"..... :p

Mike. ;)
Well I'm Glad that it is like this here. But not every town or village does this. Some are more like yours and see the items as a cash cow, mind you we do have to pay a yearly fee to access the transfer station , they give you sticker to place on you vehicle so the attendants know you paid.

We used to have something similar to a swap shed but it didn't last seems that most want new stuff.

I'll stop and grab stuff from the curb on big trash day if it looks worth the effort.

I to have gotten a few good desktops from the curb that worked when connected.

I figure thrift stores and garage sales will have some good computers with Windows 10 EOL.

Must be a slow news day...not the first time this has been thrown around and wont be the last.
m19066.gif

Our What we call a Transfer station (what you over pond call a tip) Actually has a swap shed where people occassionally put things like old computer bicycles household Items that are still useful for anyone who wants them to take. My son has got several bikes for his kids this way and with minor repair they get a bike that useable and sometimes would be quite expensive. But Once in awhile they will be a complete computer system there also. So we have it good in some respects. They leave the stuff in there for about 2 weeks and if it does not go it's recycled of trashed. I've gotten a couple fairly modern computers out of it and loaded linux on them and given them away.

So looking forward to seeing what systems may appear in the next couple years :)
Are the disks wiped? If not one could hack that discarded computer.
Always,
Wildman

Are the disks wiped? If not one could hack that discarded computer.
Always,
Wildman
Some have had the drives removed, others not. So I wipe them before install linux.

Members online

Latest posts