Pros and Cons of Kubuntu

I have seen terms used in the forums that looked like coding of some type.
Programming is the writing of the code to run an app or a driver, what you see us ask people to do is use the terminal and the command tools to find quickly and fix problems

That happened in the past, so it's not something current and even then when it came pre-installed it was something the user could undo not that it makes it right. I would go for Linux Mint as there are more Linux Mint desktop users than there are Debian desktop users since Debian is mostly advertised as a service distribution because of having stable software.
That is helpful, thank you.

Problem is that it did happen, and when such thing happens it's loss of trust that is hard to recover, especially when a company is behind it, so it's not just random mistake.

From what I know the feature is still present except it's not enabled by default, a casual user who doesn't understand the implication might end up enabling the feature without understanding what it means.

If the company behind ubuntu decided to remove the feature entirely that might change my mind but they didn't, they made it optional which is not enough to restore trust.
Thank you for the additional clarification. It is good to see the nuances of different feelings towards distros. Very helpful.

Programming is the writing of the code to run an app or a driver, what you see us ask people to do is use the terminal and the command tools to find quickly and fix problems
Command tools I am somewhat familiar with, as a moderately advanced DOS user. But that was 50 years ago and there's been a *uva lot of water under the bridge.

Terminal will become clear hands-on.

Somewhere command tools are listed? For LMDE. What is Faye?

I'll tell you later why I now feel pretty certain to go with LM Cinnamon.

Problem is that it did happen, and when such thing happens it's loss of trust that is hard to recover, especially when a company is behind it, so it's not just random mistake.
Do people still bug you for mistakes that you made almost 10 years ago?

From what I know the feature is still present except it's not enabled by default, a casual user who doesn't understand the implication might end up enabling the feature without understanding what it means.
Not true, check this forum topic from 4 years ago.
Specifically this reply.
That 'data collection, amazon thing' was a search provider for the desktop which would search amazon for products related to searches on your desktop. It was installed by default in Ubuntu 12.04 and was removed after a lot of users complained about it. So it's basically ancient history.

Somewhere command tools are listed? For LMDE. What is Faye?
Linux mint comes in 2 flavours, Mint Ubuntu based and Mint LMDE which is Debian based, this is the 5th edition of LMDE and F is the fith letter of the English alphabet, so members of the development team decided to call it Fayer [mint Ubuntu based 21,3 is called Virginia]

As for Newbe freindly Distros I would list them something like this. (others may have different views)
1. Mint (offers Cinnamon,Mate & XFCE DEs) Either Mint 21.x or LMDE6 Both are good!
2. MX-Linux (they offer a nice KDE version also)
3. Kubuntu (KDE DE)
4 Debian (offers KDE among others, Defaults to Gnome)
5. Ubuntu (gnome DE)
6. PCLinux OS (offers KDE,XFCE, Mate and others.)
Thats just my opinion as I said others will differ.
With any of the above you do not need programming experience.
Though not expressly needed today eventually you'll want to learn some Terminal use. It opens Linux up to so much. Though with today's modern DE's you will not need to use the terminal if you don't want to.

You really have a talent for being helpful!

Don't know how you or anyone here feels about using oracles for decision making, I use it judiciously along with reasoning and intuition.

Divination clearly told me from higher aspects of consciousness that LMDE Cinnamon is the 'highest, best, and most supportive' distro for me. I stop looking now and go with Mint Cinnamon.

Do people still bug you for mistakes that you made almost 10 years ago?
People do not bug me, but police does bug people with "dossier", when ever there is a problem the police will search dossier in an attempt to find suspects.

But ignoring the tactics of the police, the same pretty much applies to people, when there is a problem in society and no suspect, the people will first think of bad past to try pin-point who the bad guy might be. :)

Not true, check this forum topic from 4 years ago.
OK, didn't know, thanks for letting me know.

People do not bug me, but police does bug people with "dossier", when ever there is a problem the police will search dossier in an attempt to find suspects.
I believe companies who's main business isn't data collection should have the chance to redeem themselves if they make a mistake. So I'm not going to hold a mistake from over 10 years ago against Canonical, but that doesn't take away that I still dislike other decisions they have made in the recent years but luckily there is still freedom of choice of what to install and uninstall on Ubuntu.

Somewhere command tools are listed
now to continue, terminal tool are common to almost every Linux distribution, If you cant sleep, here is some not so light reading, and remember what i told you before don't go into over load, you will pick up most of what you need to know by osmosis, not cramming

EDIT sorry forgot the link

Last edited:
Divination clearly told me from higher aspects of consciousness that LMDE Cinnamon is the 'highest, best, and most supportive' distro for me. I stop looking now and go with Mint Cinnamon.
LMDE is a fine choice!

The reason I have suggested Kubuntu in you other thread is because you said you thought you wanted KDE DE.
It's no better or worse than many other distros. And is easier for a new user to install. Mint is very good If you like the Cinnamon DE. It the one I return to most often and have used it for many years. Mint used to have KDE DE but discontinued it a few releases ago. Debian is also a favorite though it might be slightly harder for new user to install and get running. All that said.
you won't go wrong starting with Mint or Debian. With Debian you can get KDE at install time. If you choose to go the Debian route I would use the net install to install it not the live version. Good luck with what ever you end up choosing and know we will be here to help if you get stuck.
No blame ever.... I was actually turned onto Ubuntu first by the Cardano developer who likes GNOME. Kubuntu because I like Plasma.

Does Plasma go with LMDE?

LMDE only come with Cinnamon DE. It's possible to install KDE but would not say it's easy.

now to continue, terminal tool are common to almost every Linux distribution, If you cant sleep, here is some not so light reading, and remember what i told you before don't go into over load, you will pick up most of what you need to know by osmosis, not cramming

EDIT sorry forgot the link

Got the link and added it to list.

LMDE only come with Cinnamon DE. It's possible to install KDE but would not say it's easy.
I like to stay as simple as possible.

DISTRO CHOOSER
"Linux Mint is a Ubuntu based distribution with pre-installed proprietary components, such as multimedia codecs...."

Ubuntu? Thought it's Debian?

DistroChooser says:

We cannot recommend this distribution for you because:

Closed source programs are installed by default

When is that an issue?

Though I made myself clear

""
Linux mint comes in 2 flavours, Mint Ubuntu based and Mint LMDE which is Debian based, this is the 5th edition of LMDE and F is the fifth letter of the English alphabet, so members of the development team decided to call it Fayer [mint Ubuntu based 21,3 is called Virginia]

""

I like to stay as simple as possible.

DISTRO CHOOSER
"Linux Mint is a Ubuntu based distribution with pre-installed proprietary components, such as multimedia codecs...."

Ubuntu? Thought it's Debian?

DistroChooser says:

We cannot recommend this distribution for you because:

Closed source programs are installed by default

When is that an issue?
Closed source Packages are quite dependant on your Hardware. some Wifi and other drivers are closed source. Debian used to be closed source completely and it was a real problem to get the drivers needed installed. but since version 12 was released that is no longer an issue as they include them now. I wouldn't pay too much attention to that site. It's run by someone who has a hang up on proprietary packages. To be honest almost all modern machines need some of those , plus codecs to run video, ETC. In mint you have a choice during install to include the closed source stuff or not.

Closed source Packages are quite dependant on your Hardware. some Wifi and other drivers are closed source. Debian used to be closed source completely and it was a real problem to get the drivers needed installed. but since version 12 was released that is no longer an issue as they include them now. I wouldn't pay too much attention to that site. It's run by someone who has a hang up on proprietary packages. To be honest almost all modern machines need some of those , plus codecs to run video, ETC. In mint you have a choice during install to include the closed source stuff or not.
Thanks. I need to review my notes. Thought LMDE is Debian based ... well I guess since UBUNTU is Debian, it makes sense. But Kubuntu is Ubuntu and also GNOME and Plasma. Holy moly, I'd better focus on LMDE with blinders on!

Though I made myself clear

""
Linux mint comes in 2 flavours, Mint Ubuntu based and Mint LMDE which is Debian based, this is the 5th edition of LMDE and F is the fifth letter of the English alphabet, so members of the development team decided to call it Fayer [mint Ubuntu based 21,3 is called Virginia]

""
Ah, I didn't catch that distinction!

Since you run it, guessing you recommend LMDE 6.

Sorry to repeat myself, did you say you have been running LMDE and recommend LMDE6? I don't have hang ups that I know, just with Windows controlling the user, security issues, constant updates, etc.

UPDATE: Read your signature. Can you give me a link to website showing Apps which install with Linux Mint 21.3 "Virginia"?

Last edited:

Members online