Pros and Cons of Kubuntu

Ubuntu and their flavors have privacy issues to address.
It's the only reason I would never install or recommend any [*]ubuntu.

edit:
Source:

You may have mentioned, but what distribution do you use?

I am a low-tech user and don't need/want to do any more coding than minimal.

What would you recommend?

"
Since Ubuntu version 16.04, the spyware search facility is now disabled by default. It appears that the campaign of pressure launched by this article has been partly successful. Nonetheless, offering the spyware search facility as an option is still a problem, as explained below. Ubuntu should make the network search a command users can execute from time to time, not a semipermanent option for users to enable (and probably forget).

Even though the factual situation described in the rest of this page has partly changed, the page is still important. This example should teach our community not to do such things again, but in order for that to happen, we must continue to talk about it."

You may have mentioned, but what distribution do you use?

I am a low-tech user and don't need/want to do any more coding than minimal.

What would you recommend?

I'm using Debian and would recommend it because of:

1. Stability - Debian is stable system, you won't encounter what ever software or OS issues using it, so far I had zero issues that would require me to troubleshoot anything other than if I screw something myself
2. Large package repository - Debian's repo is huge, what ever software you need it's there and ready to be installed, very rarely will you need to resort to 3rd party repositories to install software.
3. Privacy - there is no spyware running on system of any kind and there is clear statement about software and release cycle

Major complaint from users is out of date packages and slow release cycles but that's what makes Debian stable, software available undergoes testings to minimize bugs as close to zero as possible and that's more valueable than new shiny software that contains bugs.

But you can always install newer version of a software yourself if you really need it.

If I have to chose or recommend distro other than Debian I would chose Kali as long as you're interested in security or programming.
But almost anything that makes Kali is available in Debian as well, except is not as updated.

I'm using Debian and would recommend it because of:

1. Stability - Debian is stable system, you won't encounter what ever software or OS issues using it, so far I had zero issues that would require me to troubleshoot anything other than if I screw something myself
2. Large package repository - Debian's repo is huge, what ever software you need it's there and ready to be installed, very rarely will you need to resort to 3rd party repositories to install software.
3. Privacy - there is no spyware running on system of any kind and there is clear statement about software and release cycle

Major complaint from users is out of date packages and slow release cycles but that's what makes Debian stable, software available undergoes testings to minimize bugs as close to zero as possible and that's more valueable than new shiny software that contains bugs.

But you can always install newer version of a software yourself if you really need it.

If I have to chose or recommend distro other than Debian I would chose Kali as long as you're interested in security or programming.
But almost anything that makes Kali is available in Debian as well, except is not as updated.

I need an OS with no programming required.

I'm low tech and my senior Asperger's brain is getting slower.

Can you give a link for Debian to check it out?

Linuxmint is an excellent distribution for getting started with Linux, especially if you come from the Windows world.

Linuxmint is an excellent distribution for getting started with Linux, especially if you come from the Windows world.
I come from years ago the Windows world but recent years iPad. I'm a senior with no programming experience neither ability to learn programming.

I come from years ago the Windows world but recent years iPad. I'm a senior with no programming experience neither ability to learn programming.
I think there is misunderstanding, you don't need to be developer to use any Linux distribution and no distribution is geared toward development or requiring you write programs or learn programming.

The only difference between distributions you need to know about is that some distros are more geared toward "do it yourself" while others are less of "do it yourself" where "do it yourself" does not refer to programing but system administration.

Keeping to the easy newbie distributions, then ...Mint LMDE is based directly on Debian [without the Ubuntu bloat it also a tad quicker]

I think there is misunderstanding, you don't need to be developer to use any Linux distribution and no distribution is geared toward development or requiring you write programs or learn programming.

The only difference between distributions you need to know about is that some distros are more geared toward "do it yourself" while others are less of "do it yourself" where "do it yourself" does not refer to programing but system administration.
Probably it's also my misuse of the term programming. I have seen terms used in the forums that looked like coding of some type.

Keeping to the easy newbie distributions, then ...Mint LMDE is based directly on Debian [without the Ubuntu bloat it also a tad quicker]
I am sure adjustments will be required on my part. I am okay with stretching myself some.

At your link:

Cinnamon Edition​

"On this page you can download Linux Mint either directly or via torrent as an ISO image. Make sure to verify your image after downloading it."

I don't know what torrent is (downloading tool?) or ISO or how to verify but realize much will become clearer when I am hands-on with an install. What is LMDE? (realized Linux Mint Distribution E something.)

What's a recommendation for way of install for me?

Didn't I see LM 6 has bug issues?

Mint Cinnamon was my first choice. Kubuntu came in strong after. Had to consider MX as was told others have issues of privacy and security.

Thank you all for continuing patience.

Last edited:
What is LMDE?
Linux Mint Desktop Environment

Linux is kernel, ex. core of a system that interacts with the hardware, an intermediate between hardware and software.
Desktop Environment is GUI software running on top of the kernel, that which you click with mouse, windows etc.
Desktop environment is not Linux (the kernel)

There are several desktop environments where LMDE is the one used by Mint distribution.

Last edited:
The reason I have suggested Kubuntu in you other thread is because you said you thought you wanted KDE DE.
It's no better or worse than many other distros. And is easier for a new user to install. Mint is very good If you like the Cinnamon DE. It the one I return to most often and have used it for many years. Mint used to have KDE DE but discontinued it a few releases ago. Debian is also a favorite though it might be slightly harder for new user to install and get running. All that said.
you won't go wrong starting with Mint or Debian. With Debian you can get KDE at install time. If you choose to go the Debian route I would use the net install to install it not the live version. Good luck with what ever you end up choosing and know we will be here to help if you get stuck.

Didn't I see LM 6 has bug issues?
"LM 6" LM6 is nearly 18 years old do you mean LMDE6?..,,
I have been using LMDE since LMDE4 apart from the normal find and fix driver problems [which you can get with any distribution] I have not had a problem, it is my main daily drive on the desktop and one of my drives on the laptop.
I don't know what torrent i
Torrent is a p2p user share app I don't bother with it, go to the download page of your chosen distribution [we will stick with LMDE for this quick tutorial]. On the download page you will find several links, the first one to open and read is the installation notes then the release note [which will tell you of known problems]
then select the AMD64 [or it may just say 64 bit] download now with mint its a bit different to some distributions, in that you scroll down the download page to a list of national mirrors, find the closest to you select and it should start to download.

Ubuntu and their flavors have privacy issues to address.
It's the only reason I would never install or recommend any [*]ubuntu.
That happened in the past, so it's not something current and even then when it came pre-installed it was something the user could undo not that it makes it right. I would go for Linux Mint as there are more Linux Mint desktop users than there are Debian desktop users since Debian is mostly advertised as a service distribution because of having stable software.

As for Newbe freindly Distros I would list them something like this. (others may have different views)
1. Mint (offers Cinnamon,Mate & XFCE DEs) Either Mint 21.x or LMDE6 Both are good!
2. MX-Linux (they offer a nice KDE version also)
3. Kubuntu (KDE DE)
4 Debian (offers KDE among others, Defaults to Gnome)
5. Ubuntu (gnome DE)
6. PCLinux OS (offers KDE,XFCE, Mate and others.)
Thats just my opinion as I said others will differ.
With any of the above you do not need programming experience.
Though not expressly needed today eventually you'll want to learn some Terminal use. It opens Linux up to so much. Though with today's modern DE's you will not need to use the terminal if you don't want to.

Last edited:
Your friendly manner has always been appreciated. As a side note, my being new and pre-install, from this perspective I would not recommend to a newcomer to test several distros. You haven't but I've seen it around.

That would drive me mad!

Each person is different and for me, what I've been doing seems the best approach, to research like this and get a feel for it. Good thing my setup hasn't arrived yet!

Of course I can only lean one way or the other based on appearances. Actual experience could be another thing.

Plasma is attractive to me. But now I have to review notes to fine tune my whole understanding of Linux choices. What are net install and not live?

You're in Maine? I lived there too. Whereabouts are you?

That happened in the past, so it's not something current and even then when it came pre-installed it was something the user could undo
Problem is that it did happen, and when such thing happens it's loss of trust that is hard to recover, especially when a company is behind it, so it's not just random mistake.

From what I know the feature is still present except it's not enabled by default, a casual user who doesn't understand the implication might end up enabling the feature without understanding what it means.

If the company behind ubuntu decided to remove the feature entirely that might change my mind but they didn't, they made it optional which is not enough to restore trust.

Members online