Problem installing Wine

manin1952

Reaction score
Credits
Hello,

I can't install wine...I run Ubuntu 20.04.
I have tried many guides...Always the same.
I have deleted everything before installing again, but....

Please help

Code:
manin@manos-PC:~$ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID:    Ubuntu
Description:    Ubuntu 20.04.5 LTS
Release:    20.04
Codename:    focal

Code:
manin@manos-PC:~$ sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386

manin@manos-PC:~$ sudo mkdir -pm755 /etc/apt/keyrings

manin@manos-PC:~$ sudo wget -O /etc/apt/keyrings/winehq-archive.key https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/winehq.key

--2024-03-31 12:09:11--  https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/winehq.key

Resolving dl.winehq.org (dl.winehq.org)... 146.75.2.217

Connecting to dl.winehq.org (dl.winehq.org)|146.75.2.217|:443... connected.

HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK

Length: 3220 (3,1K) [application/pgp-keys]

Saving to: ‘/etc/apt/keyrings/winehq-archive.key’

/etc/apt/keyrings/wineh 100%[=============================>]   3,14K  --.-KB/s    in 0s  

2024-03-31 12:09:11 (6,23 MB/s) - ‘/etc/apt/keyrings/winehq-archive.key’ saved [3220/3220]

manin@manos-PC:~$ sudo wget -NP /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/dists/focal/winehq-focal.sources

--2024-03-31 12:15:54--  https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/dists/focal/winehq-focal.sources

Length: 163

Saving to: ‘/etc/apt/sources.list.d/winehq-focal.sources’

winehq-focal.sources    100%[=============================>]     163  --.-KB/s    in 0s  

2024-03-31 12:15:54 (3,73 MB/s) - ‘/etc/apt/sources.list.d/winehq-focal.sources’ saved [163/163]

manin@manos-PC:~$ sudo apt install --install-recommends winehq-stable

Reading package lists... Done

Building dependency tree    

Reading state information... Done

Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have

requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable

distribution that some required packages have not yet been created

or been moved out of Incoming.

The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:

winehq-stable : Depends: wine-stable (= 9.0.0.0~focal-1)

E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

ADMINISTRATOR'S NOTE TO MEMBERS CONSIDERING POSTING - If you do not have any input that will help the OP further his goals, please do not post here, and I want no input that is derogatory to other Operating Systems. TIA - Wizard

Last edited by a moderator:

@manin1952 :-

There IS an "alternative" way you could try this, but I don't know if it would work for Ubuntu; it doesn't involve repositories & established sets of commands, it involves using a WINE AppImage, and making a number of manual sym-links. This would need to be done in the terminal; are you confident with terminal use?

Even if you are, there's no guarantees this would work for you, so.....the
choice is yours. I can't give links to "how-to" guides, because they don't exist, except for the very brief "how-to" on the Github page where these AppImages are hosted.

Do bear in mind there's an outside chance this MIGHT "brick" your system.....but this often works for me where the "regular procedure" doesn't. I run 'Puppy' Linux - a lightweight "hobbyist" distro - and these AppImages work well for us, since we don't use the normal package management systems.

Are you up for it? It's entirely up to you; others here might be able to suggest more appropriate solutions for you.

Mike. ;)

Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

You may have to deal with that first. The fix depends on what's broken, I suppose.

Also, why not just use sudo apt install wine?

The fix depends on what's broken
You can try and fix via terminal(if possible) held packages
Screenshot from 2024-04-01 00-22-09.png

If not.. try via recovery mode

If non helps do a update and upgrade or installing another kernel(a custom one, why not) can be a solution.
Then wine, as @KGIII said via apt.
With Play on Linux you can, with Lutris or directly.

Just open a Terminal and type...
Code:
sudo apt install wine

Works fine...remember not everything works with wine...that's why I have a w7 VM.
m1212.gif

Works fine...remember not everything works with wine...that's why I have a w7 VM.
m1212.gif
What doesn't work with wine? They used to say the same about Photoshop CC2019 and yet I used it for nearly a month before I discovered a native linux way for what I needed it.

What doesn't work with wine? They used to say the same about Photoshop CC2019 and yet I used it for nearly a month before I discovered a native linux way for what I needed it.

I have had a hit and miss affair with trying to run windoze software with...Wine...Bottles...Playonlinux to name a few.

In the end I gave up and starting a w 7 Virtual Machine not connected to the net...I've found this the best way.

These work with wine and have used them for years...
1711946725870.png
1711946804421.png
1711946753796.png

I also found Linux software that was the equivalent of windoze.
m1212.gif

1. That free audio converter works just fine with Wine but you don't need it because there is soundkonverter: https://store.kde.org/p/1126634
2. You don't need this mp3gain either cuz it's an old crap that does things wrong and yes, it also works just fine in linux. There's the native easymp3gain: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/easymp3gain-qt4-bin which requires mp3gain as a backend.
3. I'm not sure what the third one does but if it's what I think it is, Audacity will do the job just fine. Audacity can change the gain levels of mp3 files as well, if you need it for a single file. For bulk tasks easymp3gain is better. Not to mention that ALL converting programs use FFMPEG for that which means you can do it yourself without an external program.

Hello,

I have tried many guides...Always the same.
I have deleted everything before installing again, but....

Please help

Code:
manin@manos-PC:~$ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID:    Ubuntu
Description:    Ubuntu 20.04.5 LTS
Release:    20.04
Codename:    focal

Code:
manin@manos-PC:~$ sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386

manin@manos-PC:~$ sudo mkdir -pm755 /etc/apt/keyrings

manin@manos-PC:~$ sudo wget -O /etc/apt/keyrings/winehq-archive.key https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/winehq.key

--2024-03-31 12:09:11--  https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/winehq.key

Length: 3220 (3,1K) [application/pgp-keys]

Saving to: ‘/etc/apt/keyrings/winehq-archive.key’

/etc/apt/keyrings/wineh 100%[=============================>]   3,14K  --.-KB/s    in 0s  

2024-03-31 12:09:11 (6,23 MB/s) - ‘/etc/apt/keyrings/winehq-archive.key’ saved [3220/3220]

manin@manos-PC:~$ sudo wget -NP /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/dists/focal/winehq-focal.sources

--2024-03-31 12:15:54--  https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/dists/focal/winehq-focal.sources

Length: 163

Saving to: ‘/etc/apt/sources.list.d/winehq-focal.sources’

winehq-focal.sources    100%[=============================>]     163  --.-KB/s    in 0s  

2024-03-31 12:15:54 (3,73 MB/s) - ‘/etc/apt/sources.list.d/winehq-focal.sources’ saved [163/163]

Reading package lists... Done

Building dependency tree    

Reading state information... Done

Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have

requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable

distribution that some required packages have not yet been created

or been moved out of Incoming.

The following information may help to resolve the situation:

Before you go making windoze work on linux and introducing security threats..... what are you attempting to run that you need wine? you may find an alternative that works better but until we know what you want wine for, we can't help in that part.

The software I showed...I used in windoze xp over 20 years ago and still works today under wine in Mint Cinnamon 21.1.
m0104.gif

Attachments

• 1712045761323.gif
    1712045761323.gif
    162 bytes · Views: 109
Locking this thread while the matter is considered.

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Thread open for business again, it has been reduced from 26 to 13 posts that are relevant.

Please do not post here unless you have input that helps the OP resolve his problem, or further his progress in that regard. I am placing a warning to that effect in the OP's OP.

Any postings failing that requirement will be deleted without warning and without explanation, as per the rules you all agreed to on joining.

Thank you

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Try updating your sources and updating your system first.
Code:
sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade -y
Then try installing winehq-stable again
Code:
sudo apt install --install-recommends winehq-stable
I tried it on a vm running Ubuntu 20.04 and before I updated my sources it could not find winehq-stable. So I would think that would go for you as well.

The Official WineHQ instructions mentioned what OP is using.

When adding a ppa you can normall run something like this.
Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:aslatter/ppa
Looking at the deprecated ppa of Wine, stable.
The new instructions are the following to add the official winehq repo.
Code:
wget https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/Release.key
sudo apt-key add Release.key
sudo apt-add-repository 'https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/'
The last command automatically updates the sources, after which you should be able to run either of the following without issues.
Code:
sudo apt install winehq-stable
sudo apt install --install-recommends winehq-stable

Last edited:
Last edited:
This is not always the case highly specialized software sometimes does not exist for Linux
Not only highly specialized stuff, though yes, that too.

I run WINE primarily to keep a very old Windows calendar (WinDates) running. Yes, just a "simple" desktop calendar. There are many Linux calendars, so what's my problem? The answer: birth dates and anniversaries.

Most Linux calendars do not store the original year of a recurring event. So they cannot tell you how old someone is on their birthday. Yes, you can be reminded on a repeating yearly schedule, but they can't tell you the age. I've been frustrated for many years over this. I know, waah-waah! And yes, I would like some more whine with my cheese. Thank you. ;)

I know of one: Rainlendar. But I do not like it. I've tried it many times.

WINE is a good solution for cases just like mine. I do not calculate the "risk" of using WINE as particularly worse than anything else. It is a safe tool, used by many, like your web browser or password manager.

But if anyone knows of a native Linux calendar that can calculate birth dates, please post a link, or PM me. I'm always interested! Thanks!
EDIT: here's another I just found: Remind. This looks bare bones and clumsy, but very powerful, like a Linux terminal! It will do birth dates and much more. But I'm afraid the configuration (all the birthdays, etc) will have to be manually configured instead of importing a .ics file. I have hundreds of dates stored, so this may not work. There's a long (52 min) Intro video to help explain how Remind works.

Also, why not just use sudo apt install wine?
That will install an older version, but that's often good enough. But too late now that the install is hosed up. If --fix-install is not helping, then probably purge everything related to WINE and start over again. The instructions on winehq.org have always worked for me with Debian, Mint, and Fedora... but you have to follow them very carefully. Good luck!

Last edited:
But too late now that the install is hosed up.

Yup. That's why I mentioned that they'd probably have to fix their mistakes before they can go further.

Also, I figured WINE would be one of those packages that gets updates regularly. So, it probably wouldn't be a much older version.

Members online

Latest posts