Solved Printer Not Working on LMDE 6

Solved issue
@Angelsong7 - do you want to fasten your seat-belt and we'll take a trip to Thailand?
Why?

Canon Asia hold the secrets for better support for older printers, more so than Canon USA, and in this case, your best chance is with their Thailand branch, I have found users at other forums having success with this.

I would be inclined to go for the .deb package install, but if the following does not work, it may be back to the drawing board with finding a .ppd, CUPS and so on.

First up

Did you delete the Printer from the Cups website?

If you had got so far, I suggest you revisit there and delete the printer.

Then - the following step may be unnecessary, given you have said you can use this printer on Windows, but be sure you have checked at the printer display itself for something like the following

https://ij.manual.canon/ij/webmanual/Tutorial/MX490 series/EN/TRL/trl-9100.html

Once that is done, have a good read of the following page at Linux Mint dot com, it is a few years old but seems to be still current.

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=259251

Once you have digested the guide by "Jim" there, you could start at where he says

Anyway, here's what I did...

and work through from there to the Thai site to download the two sets of drivers and two sets of documents.

Note that he says

PIXMA MX497 --> Mine is the MX490, but the important thing is to match the first two digits of the number part.

Once you have done that, you can open your File Manager, Nemo, and navigate to where the downloaded packages are, whether that be in Downloads, or a Canon folder such as Jim chose.

There, you can right-click a package and choose "Extract here" and watch new folders appear.

I don't have a Canon, but I have followed the steps so far, and I placed the tarred folders and extracted in my ~/Downloads

1pD7Qna.png

SCREENSHOT 1 - Canon Tars and their extracted contents

(I haven't extracted scangear one, no point for me)

Where my cursor is pointing at cnijfilter... double-click that, and again with "packages" choose the one on the right, and right-click and use GDebi to install it

mxXBrXM.png

SCREENSHOT 2 - GDEBI TO INSTALL

Repeat the process for the Scangear software.

Once completed, you would then go into your Linux Mint Menu, Administration-Print Settings and work from the popup window.

If it shows at top right "Unlock" click to unlock and enter your password.

Then click the Add Printer icon and try for Network Printer/find network printer to identify your Canon Pixma.

Hope this helps.

Wizard

Last edited:

Alex and I posted same time, we crossed beams.

I'll leave the choices to the OP, and hope something works.

Wiz

Results for find /usr -name '*.ppd':
/usr/share/cups/model/canonmx490.ppd
and
/usr/share/ppd/canonmx490.ppd

I ran lpinfo -v and the output was:
file boomaga:/
file cups-brf:/
network http
network beh
serial serial:/dev/ttyS0?baud=115200
network ipps
network socket
network ipp
network https
network lpd
network smb
network dnssd://Canon%20MX490%20series._ipp._tcp.local/?
uuid=00000000-0000-1000-8000-84BA3BB2EFF1
network ipps://Canon%20MX490%20series._ipps._tcp.local/

Then I ran lpinfo -m and came up with:
gutenprint.5.3://bjc-PIXMA-MX490/expert Canon PIXMA MX490 - CUPS+Gutenprint v5.3.4
gutenprint.5.3://bjc-MX490-series/expert Canon MX490 series - CUPS+Gutenprint v5.3.4
canonmx490.ppd Canon MX490 series Ver.5.10
lsb/usr/canonmx490.ppd Canon MX490 series Ver.5.10
driverless:ipps://Canon%20MX490%20series._ipps._tcp.local/ Canon MX490 series, driverless, cups-filters 1.28.17
everywhere IPP Everywhere

"Okay, now what?" says the somewhat less stressed Angelsong7.

Results for find /usr -name '*.ppd':

and

I ran lpinfo -v and the output was:

Then I ran lpinfo -m and came up with:

"Okay, now what?" says the somewhat less stressed Angelsong7.
Ok-
This is your network dnssd which is the Bonjour DNS-SD protocol back end name.

Code:
network dnssd://Canon%20MX490%20series._ipp._tcp.local/?
uuid=00000000-0000-1000-8000-84BA3BB2EFF1

There's a problem.
Without the printers URI it makes it very difficult for me to assist you and I'll explain why.

On this page in the link below it says:

The network class of backends is used for all network protocols. The Using Network Printers help document describes how to use the standard CUPS network backends. The direct class of backends is used for directly-connected printers such as USB and Bluetooth. Because these backends use a system-specific identifier, you should only use the reported device URIs.

Once you know the correct URI for the printer, set it using the lpadmin command's -v option:

Our moderator, @wizardfromoz posted alternative instructions for you in post #21.:)
You should try those instructions.

I'm sorry Angelsong7 my hands are tied. Without the URI I can't show you how to use the lpadmin command to set up your printer.

Last edited:
Alexzee, the printers URI is cnijbe2://Canon/?port=net&serial=00-00-85-AB-C1-23
I tried @wizardfromoz's alternative, which got me to my original problem. 1)The printer is installed. I 2)select "Print Test Page." 3)It goes to the print queue. 4)It stops. The message that is given varies - "Held," "Processing," "No printer found." etc.
Angelsong7

EDIT:
Updated URI - ipp://..*.69:631/ipp
Ran with that and installed the driver from the dropdown list.
Output:
Printer State: Stopped - Rendering completed.
Queue Status: Pending
Notification: There was an error sending job #13 to the printer.

Last edited:
Alexzee, the printers URI is cnijbe2://Canon/?port=net&serial=00-00-85-AB-C1-23
I tried @wizardfromoz's alternative, which got me to my original problem. 1)The printer is installed. I 2)select "Print Test Page." 3)It goes to the print queue. 4)It stops. The message that is given varies - "Held" "Processing" "No printer found." etc.
Angelsong7
If you are certain that's the uri then*

Once you know the correct URI for the printer, set it using the lpadmin command's -v option:
Code:
lpadmin -p printername -v device-uri

So something like this:

Code:
lpadmin -p canon -v cnijbe2://Canon/?port=net&serial=00-00-85-AB-C1-23

It will either work or it won't.

Printing Troubleshooter:
There was a problem sending document 'Test Page' (job 15) to the printer.
Diagnosis:
The queue 'Canon-PIXMA-MX490" is not enabled. The reason given is: 'Rendering completed.'

????????

Well, I am out of Ideas. I've been working on this problem for about 10 hours now. I am now back to banging my head on my glass desk. I still think that it has something to do with one of the firewalls.
Mark.

Well, I am out of Ideas. I've been working on this problem for about 10 hours now. I am now back to banging my head on my glass desk. I still think that it has something to do with one of the firewalls.
Mark.
When I had the UFW enabled on other Linux distro's I was running I couldn't go anywhere and had to disable the firewall.

Until I did that the boot up process on the Linux distro I was running at that time was being held up by the firewall I enabled and my browser wouldn't take me to places I needed to go.

Mark, this may be a long shot, but can you share with us the outputs of the two commands?

Code:
groups

and

groups <yourusername>

For example, mine for groups chris shows

Code:
chris@LMDE6-Faye-SSD:~$ groups chris
chris : chris adm dialout fax cdrom floppy tape sudo audio dip video plugdev users netdev lpadmin bluetooth scanner

If you are not a member of lpadmin, that might account for some of the problems that you are experiencing.

If that is so, it can be addressed by issuing the following command, substituting your own username for mine, and followed by a reboot

Code:
sudo usermod -a -G lpadmin chris

Cheers

Chris

On my Debian 12 install-

Code:
~$ groups
alex cdrom floppy sudo audio dip video plugdev netdev bluetooth lpadmin scanner

Tried the groups thing. It's already listed.

I want to try another track. I have three printers listed. #1 shows an error - no connection made. #2 goes to the print queue and gets stuck there - processing. And #3 goes to the print queue and disappears - job completed. What I want to do is to trace exactly where these print test jobs are going. It's either that or disable the firewall, which I have no idea how to do. Also, how do I determine what port the printer is using?

Last edited:
Tried the groups thing. It's already listed.

I want to try another track. I have three printers listed. #1 shows an error - no connection made. #2 goes to the print queue and gets stuck there - processing. And #3 goes to the print queue and disappears - job completed. What I want to do is to trace exactly where these print test jobs are going. It's either that or disable the firewall, which I have no idea how to do. Also, how do I determine what port the printer is using?
CUPS uses ports so the firewall can allow traffic for printing. This article will give you an education at the very least.

How To Check If Port Is In Use On Linux

In regard to the firewall read my signature line. It's saved me headaches many times.

With Christmas being so close I'll be away from the desktop a day or so.
I'll check in after Christmas dinner.

It's either that or disable the firewall, which I have no idea how to do.

Being on Linux Mint, chances are you are using UFW - The Uncomplicated FireWall.

You can check its status with

Code:
sudo ufw status

If it says it is active and you wish to switch it off to test things

Code:
sudo ufw disable

When you want to switch it on again

Code:
sudo ufw enable

Cheers

Wiz

The firewall that was installed is firewalld - A service daemon with D-Bus interface. I'm going to spend the next couple of days reading up on it and see if I can figure out how to use it instead of taking the easy way out.
Merry Christmas, Wiz & Alexzee

Same back at you, Mark - hope the research bears fruit.

Chris

Merry Christmas Mark.

My LMDE6 has Firewall (GUFW) it's not set up as I'm not keeping this distro, just testing it.

Attachments

• Firewall 2.png
    Firewall 2.png
    180.4 KB · Views: 66
Well, I have thoroughly read the documentation on firewalld and am more confused than ever. I want to uninstall it and try GUFW, which I have installed. How in the world do I uninstall firewalld? I entered in the first command:
dnf install iptables-services ebtables ipset-service
and this is what I got:
Unable to detect release version (use '--releasever' to specify release version)
Error: There are no enabled repositories in "/etc/yum.repos.d", "/etc/yum/repos.d", "/etc/distro.repos.d".
Now what? What am I missing?

Well, I have thoroughly read the documentation on firewalld and am more confused than ever. I want to uninstall it and try GUFW, which I have installed. How in the world do I uninstall firewalld? I entered in the first command:

and this is what I got:

Now what? What am I missing?
Do you have a subscription with Red Hat?

If you are running Linux Mint or LMDE you would use 'apt' <or> dpkg.
The 'dnf' command line utility is for Red Hat based systems.

Alexzee, thanks for directing me to the right documentation. The printer is now working. Firewalld was blocking any access to the printer. See you all on my next post .
Mark

Members online