Possibility of having different Public IP address on Linux, installed on Vmware player

Boopalan

Reaction score
Credits
With Vmware player, I installed CentOS, on my Windows PC.

On checking, could see Public IP address of my Windows PC and CentOS are same.

In Windows PC, could see DHCP is enabled. So I might have dynamic IP.

Is is possible to have a different Public IP address on CentOS, than Windows PC?

If you had a 2nd internet connection and a 2nd adapter, I'm pretty sure VMWare will let you bind it to one or the other.

You can also just use a VPN on the VM and give it its own public IP address (from the VPN onwards).

All devices on the same router will (typically) have the same IP address anyhow, so you'd need a completely different setup to go the true hardware route. But, you can kinda fake it - or make it appear so on first blush - by using a VPN on the VM side of things.

If you use a VPN on the host OS, the VM might pick up that same (altered) IP address - I'm not really sure. If it's just on the VM, you should be all set and not have to worry about that.

Got your point. I thought, public IP addresses belongs to the respective computer systems.

If you have one router that handles DHCP and whatnot, your standard router, you have one public IP address.

If you connect three devices to that router, you have one public IP address and three private IP addresses. The router manages this with DHCP and NAT.

--- more ---

I'm not even sure if the free VMware products will let you bind your VM to a specific piece of hardware, but they might. If you can do that, you can have two ethernet adapters and two *individual* connections to the internet.

Now, if you had fancy networking gear AND paid for multiple IP addresses,,, Then you could do so, though you will indeed need an additional NIC.

So, assuming you're fairly normal in your circumstances and don't operate a data center of your own, then you're probably going to need to use a VPN for this.

I suppose I could do it from my house. I have three separate DSL connections, each with their own IP address and router. That's fairly abnormal.

Staff online