Partion related query.

If you ever need to reinstall your system and you have a separate home partition, then you can just tell the installer to not format that but to reuse it.
I'm curious if that's applicable only to cases where you install same system version?

For instance, if I have /home partition made in Debian 12, can I safely reuse it in next release, ex. in Debian 13?

I'm curious if that's applicable only to cases where you install same system version?
Yeah same distribution and version as you originally had installed, because there are differences between configs between versions and if you had one version and save your home and then install a higher version it corrupt your configs. In that case better to do an in place upgrade from 12 to 13 and then see if everything works, after which you could then to a reinstall on your new home because with the in place upgrade from 12 to 13 your configs in your homedir will have been updated. When I talk about configs I am talking about DE specific configs, that are store in your homedir.

Last edited:
It's fine. If you don't have a seperate partition for /home it just lives happily in the same partition as / , 50G will probably be plenty unless you start saving lots of videos, getting large programs like modern games or something. But if it starts to fill up, that's what flash drives are for. Or you reinstall with a larger partition or seperate /home. Once you do it a few times, it's really no big deal to wipe, re-partition, re-install, and so forth. You can't screw up Linux really, you can only keep learning.

For instance, if I have /home partition made in Debian 12, can I safely reuse it in next release, ex. in Debian 13?
It's entirely possible to keep a /home partition with a later version of a new installation. It's possible for both a new installation of the same distribution, as you mention from one debian to another debian, and also the new installation of a different distribution, e.g. from fedora to debian, but in this latter case, there may be some work to do to make things compatible.

Some time ago on a machine here with a separate /home partition running fedora, the operating system on the /root was changed to debian, leaving the /home partition intact. Most of the configurations in the dotfiles of the /home partition were fine for the debian versions of the programs. For those few that gave trouble, the dotfiles in /home were deleted so that they could be recreated by the debian programs as they were brought on to run.

The main "clean up" that was required was in relation to fedora's use of selinux and debian's use of apparmor. With the original filesystem in fedora, the whole filesystem had been labelled by selinux into it's categorial system and files on /home had dots on them in the long listings to show they'd been categorised by selinux. Since there was no selinux database on the new debian system, the dots had no meaning, but still appeared. The issue was handled by not running apparmor for a time (to avoid confusions, if indeed that would happen, about which I can't say), and over time as the debian system was upgraded several times, and with the files in /home being amended by the user over time, the dots began to disappear. There was no observable effect on functioning despite any of this.

Make a separate /Home. It is so easy there is no excuse not to. Also, /Home serves a completely separate purpose than everything else. It is good to have it set aside. If you break /Home it can be restored without messing with /. If you break / your /Home is safe. Just do it. You will never wish you didn't. If you keep them together and one day you need to make / larger you will have a good chance of breaking your /Home and it is GONE, GONE, GONE.

Good post charlie.
m1212.gif

For some it's easy to make the transition but no so for others...if they want to learn they will.

I keep things simple and should anything happen...I just put the created image back with nothing lost. At the end of the day in Linux you're free to do whatever you like.
m1213.gif

@Chrisgayle
Welcome to the forum!
As a former Windows user {from about 1993 until about 2016} I can understand why you are asking the questions you ask.
WOW you are VETERAN Sir,
Please do not take offense at what I am going to write here.
Most Windows users, when they move to Linux, do not understand why Linux does things the way they do. That includes me, you and most others leaving Windows and going to Linux.
It takes time, and learning the system, to actually leave Windows behind.
The good news is; that once we learn how Linux works, we can see how much better it is than Windows.
I know that it is difficult to make the transition from Windows to Linux. However, once you stop trying to use Linux the same way you do Windows, you will make the transition much smoother and easier.
Yes sir, the more I know, the more I like Linux. And by your and this awesome community help and guidance its lot lot easy, thankyou sir.
Please believe me {I'm 89 years old} when I say that, once you learn how Linux operates, you may never see the need to look at Windows again. {It would take me as long to learn Windows 11 as it did Linux at first}.
There was a time in past I actually hate Linux and mock it, and now here I am completely switch to Linux, please don't angry at me, that was past me, I am not the same.
Once again, welcome to the forum. There are lots of fine people here who are willing to help.
Old Geezer,
Tango Charlie
Thankyou VETERAN SAMA :)

That way you won't have to copy back and forth all your personal data when doing a reinstall
Yes you are right, actually I always move my all personal data to other drive and doesn't put anything in system partition except system files only, it's a habit created due to long use of windows.

Make a separate /Home. It is so easy there is no excuse not to. Also, /Home serves a completely separate purpose than everything else. It is good to have it set aside. If you break /Home it can be restored without messing with /. If you break / your /Home is safe. Just do it. You will never wish you didn't. If you keep them together and one day you need to make / larger you will have a good chance of breaking your /Home and it is GONE, GONE, GONE.
Thanks @sofasurfer I keep this in mind.

50G will probably be plenty unless you start saving lots of videos, getting large programs like modern games or something.
Thanks @trawglodyte ,
In windows 100gb is more than enough for me as c:drive (/ in case of linux) that's why I think 150gb I give to root right now is sufficient for me, but still if it cause low memory problem, I reinstall it completely and give /home another partition too, so I think it's ok

@Chrisgayle just a heads up on the following

apt update && apt -y upgrade && apt -y install curl wget sudo

You don't need to install wget and sudo, they are already in your Ubuntu.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

It does not matter what OS, you can always keep separate home partition. Partitioning works similarly under Linux, Windows, BSD (e.g. UFS but not OpenZFS). The only time where manual partitioning is not advised is if you plan to use ZFS or BTRFS because of intrinsic properties of file system e.g. you would generate pools but not partitions.

Why I don't create partitions...it's very simple.

Back in the old days before External HDDs...before Cloning and Imaging software not forgetting Timeshift there was nothing.
You installed windoze (XP) etc and hoped nothing happened because you would lose all your files and data when you had to Re-Install and many things happened as we all know.
t1935.gif

Someone had this idea of creating partitions to save your data...so you wouldn't loose everything...was a good idea at the time.
Then Cloning software appeared...you now could clone one HDD to another. At that time External HDDs were very expensive so weren't an option. Some time later External HDDs became much cheaper an Imaging Software appeared...you could now create an image of your whole Drive (used space) of cause.
m1213.gif

You can create an image of your system and store it on an External HDD/SSD...should anything happen even HDD/SSD failure...you loose nothing...so for me there's no need to create partitions for anything especially for Home or anything else.
I mentioned HDDs because SSDs weren't around back then but they are now and are much better than HDDs and more reliable too. At the end of the day the choice is yours...I've been doing this for years (Cloning and Imaging) mostly Imaging now so I know what's good.
m1212.gif

Why I don't create partitions...it's very simple.
You mean you don't yourself, but use the default the installer setups for you?

You mean you don't yourself, but use the default the installer setups for you?
Yes, I am quite certain that is what he means.......I do the same.

Works for me

Here's my partition setup, the volumes listed under luksdev are btrfs subvolumes.
Code:
NAME        MAJ:MIN RM  SIZE RO TYPE  MOUNTPOINTS
zram0       253:0    0 31.4G  0 disk  [SWAP]
nvme0n1     259:0    0  1.8T  0 disk 
├─nvme0n1p1 259:1    0    2G  0 part  /efi
└─nvme0n1p2 259:2    0  1.8T  0 part 
  └─luksdev 254:0    0  1.8T  0 crypt /home/maarten/Qemu/images
                                      /var/log
                                      /var/cache
                                      /home
                                      /

Mine is tiny by comparison !