NordVPN working from terminal but not from Network Manager

**NOW reboot your system. Login (via terminal of course) with nordvpn login and fill in your registration credentials.
Not needed bro. Once you "login" the first time, you're already logged in.
after reboot just:

Code:
nordvpn connect

Have never needed
Code:
sudo usermod -aG nordvpn $USER

After the reboot you're all set without the usermod.
Less steps to messup ;)

Last edited:
Not needed bro. Once you "login" the first time, you're already logged in.
after reboot just:

Code:
nordvpn connect

Have never needed
Code:
sudo usermod -aG nordvpn $USER

After the reboot you're all set without the usermod.
Less steps to messup ;)
Actually........I didn't know that and will try that one.

If the above will show to be so then I will scream. :cool:

Actually........I didn't know that and will try that one.

If the above will show to be so then I will scream. :cool:
lol a few hundred installs of NordVPN and I've always done it EXACTLY the way I described bro.
I wouldn't bullsh!t you ;)

Thanks again @PuppyHome and @xlbooyahlx. This is really great. I used @PuppyHome's last approach with nordvpn connect "whatever country" and it works beautifully. However, I also tried enabling the Kill Switch but with discouraging result. Terminal became extremely slow and could not resolve my public IP address so I disabled it. With active switch I was also unable to connect to internet.

lol a few hundred installs of NordVPN and I've always done it EXACTLY the way I described bro.
I wouldn't bullsh!t you ;)
I'm sure you are right. I just wasn't aware of "your" way as I've always installed as per Nord's instructions on their site. And stuck with it. :cool:

Thanks again @PuppyHome and @xlbooyahlx. This is really great. I used @PuppyHome's last approach with nordvpn connect "whatever country" and it works beautifully. However, I also tried enabling the Kill Switch but with discouraging result. Terminal became extremely slow and could not resolve my public IP address so I disabled it. With active switch I was also unable to connect to internet.
Glad things are working for you and you're welcome.
Can't help you on the kill switch thing as I never use it.

Now I come to think of it though.

I think I remember to use the Kill Switch in combination with "Auto Connect".

The Kill Switch is designed to cut your internet access as long as you are not connected to your VPN so after each reboot VPN won't start if it doesn't auto-connect.

(PuppyHome logic applied and may or may not be useful) :eek:

Yes that seems to be correct. Everything works with kill switch after activating auto connect. Here are some speed tests.
My connection is 250/250 Mbit/s down/up and this is what I get without VPN
With NordVPN I get 240/240 from the recommended server
With Network Manager (OpenVPN) i get 230/235 from the same server

I'm sure you are right. I just wasn't aware of "your" way as I've always installed as per Nord's instructions on their site. And stuck with it. :cool:
I copied those instructions directly from their site, as that's how I've always done it bro.
They don't tell you to reboot after install though, and neither do they tell you to usermod.
I found out that a reboot after inistall, and you're ready to go, And their instructions state:
Which leave out both, and you'll get the error. So much for complete instructions from the vendor lol

2. Log in to your NordVPN account:

nordvpn login

3. Connect to a NordVPN server:

nordvpn connect

OT here, I know your name is Puppyhome, are you well versed in PuppyOS?
If so I might like to pick your brain on a couple things sometime if you would?
Thanks ;)

Last edited:
Yes that seems to be correct. Everything works with kill switch after activating auto connect. Here are some speed tests.
My connection is 250/250 Mbit/s down/up and this is what I get without VPN
With NordVPN I get 240/240 from the recommended server
With Network Manager (OpenVPN) i get 230/235 from the same server
You'll find those will vary depending on what server you're connecting through on your VPN, and which server youre using for your speedtest, as there are multiple servers for both, and you're only as fast as your weakest link. Glad you finally have everthing working to your satisfaction ;)

I copied those instructions directly from their site, as that's how I've always done it bro.
They don't tell you to reboot after install though, and neither do they tell you to usermod.
I found out that a reboot after inistall, and you're ready to go, And their instructions state:
Which leave out both, and you'll get the error. So much for complete instructions from the vendor lol

OT here, I know your name is Puppyhome, are you well versed in PuppyOS?
If so I might like to pick your brain on a couple things sometime if you would?
Thanks ;)
As for the usermod thing:
Additionally, if you receive the following issue: Whoops! Permission denied accessing /run/nordvpn/nordvpnd.sock, all you need to do is write the following command: sudo usermod -aG nordvpn $USER and then reboot your device.
Link

If there's anything I could help you with anything related to Puppy ask away. :) If I can help I will directly or point you into a direction which also will be of help. And of course there is always Mike Walsh in case anything else would fail. :D

As for the usermod thing:

Link

If there's anything I could help you with anything related to Puppy ask away. :) If I can help I will directly or point you into a direction which also will be of help. And of course there is always Mike Walsh in case anything else would fail. :D
Thanks bro, I don't want to hijack a thread, so when I'm ready, I'll call you and Mike into it, I appreciate ya!

First time I got that error, I just rebooted, and error was gone, which I've been doing ever since.
Not sure how I missed that line in their directions, but I did lol
;)

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts