Purchase Linux CDs / DVDs / Flash Drives at OSDisc.com

Welcome to Our Community

While Linux.org has been around for a while, we recently changed management and had to purge most of the content (including users). If you signed up before April 23rd please sign up again. Thanks!

No sound after upgrading to mint 18.1

Discussion in 'Linux Audio / Video' started by davyng, Jun 23, 2017.

1. davyng

davyng New Member

I have tried the alsamixer ver 1.1 but it does not change anything. At one stage I had sound through my earphones from radio channels, but it now has stopped.

2. JasKinasis

JasKinasis Active Member

I had a similar audio problem a year or so ago when I used to use Kubuntu - Sound was working when I installed the OS, but when I tried to set up Ardour to work with a USB Audio interface - after I'd finished setting everything up, I shut down and removed the audio interface. The next time I booted I had lost all sound, nothing through the headphone jack or the speakers. In the KDE audio settings, I could see that the OS had somehow routed all audio to a virtual device - which provided no audio whatsoever, but there was no entry for my built-in sound card. If I plugged the USB audio interface in - I could route audio through the audio interface, or the dummy device - but again there was no entry for my built-in sound-card.

After many hours of messing with JACK, ALSA and PulseAudio - I was getting close to giving up and re-installing the OS.
    Then I discovered something in the documentation for Alsa which fixed the issue for me:
    Code:
    sudo alsa force-reload

I'm not a Mint user, so I don't know how you'd go about getting to the audio settings, but if your audio is being routed through a dummy device - you could try issuing the "alsa force-reload" command (as root - so don't forget sudo!) and see if that fixes the issue.
    And even if it is not being routed through a dummy device - try "alsa force-reload" anyway. It might fix the problem.

Otherwise if that doesn't work - run this command:
    Code:
    sudo lspci -vvv > hardware_info.txt

That will list all of the hardware devices on your machine (and their capabilities and driver modules) in a file called hardware_info.txt. We don't need to see all of the hardware information. But if you open that file in a text editor and search for Audio, that should take you to the block of lines containing detailed information about your sound-card, the drivers it uses etc. If you copy and paste the entire block for the sound-card into a post here - hopefully one of us will be able to offer further assistance.

atanere and Rob like this.
  3. wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz Well-Known Member

Hello davyng

... are you still with us?

I'll throw in my two cents worth to add to what Jas has suggested above, but will stand in line ... hopefully the OP (original poster) will come back to us with output as was suggested.

I personally find the Terminal command "inxi" to be very useful in my travels, it ships by default installed with many Distros, if not, it is usually in their repositories.

I most frequently use

Code:
    inxi -Fxs
    or

Code:
    inxi -Fxz
    ... you can see the options with, typed in at Terminal

Code:
    man inxi
    I'll give you an example of why:

The Audio section from my circumstances says

Audio: Card-1 Intel 8 Series/C220 Series High Definition Audio Controller
    driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
    Card-2 Intel Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor HD Audio Controller

Note that part that says "intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0"

I can then Google up eg "linux snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:03.0" (which was my original search a couple of days ago)

and get articles such as follows:

https://forum.manjaro.org/t/no-sound-after-fresh-install-of-manjaro-i3-16-10-3/14090

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=240561

... The latter one being of particular interest, of course. You can see what I mean?

A number of the entries found include the output of inxi as well as that of lspci.

Hope this helps, rather than hinders.

avagudweegend all

Wiz

ShowMeRon, Rob and atanere like this.