Solved Network wifi/ethernet minipc/laptop

Solved issue

s4vb21

Reaction score
Credits
Hello Today
Being new to Linux, a minipc is running Ubuntu with a wifi dongle since I could not find any drivers for the hardware. My laptop of 8 years has Lubuntu installed (WIndows had to go). An ethernet cable is connecting my laptop to the minipc for internet access.

Network setting on minipc:

_Wired (details)
connect automatically - yes
make available to others - yes
_Identity
cloned address - random
MTU - automatic
_IPv4
Automatic (DHCP)
DNS - automatic
Routes - automatic
_IPv6
automatic
_Security
none selected

The minipc has a VPN, does the laptop benefit from the mini's VPN?

From the information provided (setting,etc..), is there any modification's recommended?

Thank you for any feedback you wish to share.

Ok you are running Ubuntu
from the terminal, run inxi -Nnz and copy/paste back the result [you may have to install inxi from the software manage]

Just had to install inxi. Thank you.

Network:
Device-1: Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX201 driver: iwlwifi
Device-2: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet
driver: r8169
IF: enp3s0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Device-3: Realtek RTL88x2bu [AC1200 Techkey] type: USB driver: rtl88x2bu
IF: wlx347de4402227 state: up mac: <filter>
IF-ID-1: ipv6leakintrf0 state: unknown speed: N/A duplex: N/A
mac: <filter>
IF-ID-2: proton0 state: unknown speed: 10000 Mbps duplex: full mac: N/A
IF-ID-3: pvpnksintrf0 state: unknown speed: N/A duplex: N/A mac: <filter>

Device 2 [ethanet controller] has the correct drivers and is up and running ok
Device 3 is I assume your usb wi-fi dongle is also up and running with the correct driver

is device 1 the onboard wi-fi for the mini box? it shows the correct drivers.
Remove the dongle and run the command again if the intel then says state up, the problem is elsewhere, if it says state down that will need further investigation

thank you.

Network:
Device-1: Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX201 driver: iwlwifi
Device-2: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet
driver: r8169
IF: enp3s0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
IF-ID-1: ipv6leakintrf0 state: unknown speed: N/A duplex: N/A
IF-ID-2: pvpnroutintrf0 state: unknown speed: N/A duplex: N/A

when performing a deep dive, it appears the driver hasn't been loaded; result from # dmesg | grep iwlwifi is empty.

possibly a distribution error?

Depending on your distribution [you haven't told us which] iwlwifi can in many cases be installed from the software manager by using iwlwifi in the software manager seach box

true. I can live with using the dongle.
however
when looking into the previous situation, for some reason my laptop will not connect through my minipc now.
rebooted both systems but problem remains. laptop keeps trying to connect with 0 success.
any advice would be greatly welcomed.

Maybe try blacklisting the onboard nic. Reboot and then see if the wifi dongle works.

I'm thinking that by the process of elimation you'll find out if it's the driver for the onboard that's faulty or if it's the driver for the wifi dongle that's not functioning properly.

What version of Lubuntu are you running and is your minipc a 32-bit or 64-bit architecture?

thank you.
ATM I am attempting to get the laptop connected to wifi through Ethernet cable to minipc working (again).
everything was working fine about 1.5 hours ago. I unplugged the dongle to check the status of minipc NIC but that's really not an issue due to using the dongle in the minipc.
Now working on getting the laptop connecting to network via Ethernet cable to minipc. (minipc is connecting to wifi via dongle.)

Lubuntu (64-bit) is on laptop. Ubuntu (64-bit) is on minipc.

thank you.
ATM I am attempting to get the laptop connected to wifi through Ethernet cable to minipc working (again).
everything was working fine about 1.5 hours ago. I unplugged the dongle to check the status of minipc NIC but that's really not an issue due to using the dongle in the minipc.
Now working on getting the laptop connecting to network via Ethernet cable to minipc. (minipc is connecting to wifi via dongle.)

Lubuntu (64-bit) is on laptop. Ubuntu (64-bit) is on minipc.
You're welcome-

Which driver is it that's not loading?

You're welcome-

Which driver is it that's not loading?
if the laptop is not connecting, my guess would be the laptop.
I am puzzled as to why it (laptop) was connecting (through ethernet to minipc) to internet successfully before today, then about 2 hours ago it will not connect.

if the laptop is not connecting, my guess would be the laptop.
I am puzzled as to why it (laptop) was connecting (through ethernet to minipc) to internet successfully before today, then about 2 hours ago it will not connect.
Maybe the onboard nic pooped out?
Is your ISP down?

Maybe the onboard nic pooped out?
Is your ISP down?
ISP is up. minipc connected to internet.
onboard nic on laptop pooped out today? it's possible.
will try to reinstall Lubuntu on laptop, reinstall driver for dongle that is in minipc, reconnect ethernet cable, & see if that provides a fix.

great news.wired connection successful on laptop.

How was this fixed?

on Beelink-DEiPro11 -> Network->Settings-->Wired->IPv4/Shared to other computers->IPv6/Shared to other computers

I did a clean install of both Ubuntu and Lubuntu thinking this might work.
Good news I have clean installs and everything is working nice.

Last edited:
Good
if you're now happy, please go back to your first post and edit with solved [click on box left of title and select solved]

Staff online