network name resolution loop?

feintp

Reaction score
Credits
got a pretty strange error message on my mint 21.3 xfce system. when i start up and press crtl+alt+f1 i see that 'network name resolution' is starting, then failing to start after about a minute of waiting. theres this askubuntu thread on the exact issue i'm having but with no answers. this issue is preventing me from loging in, and i can't get to the console login either. anyone know what the problem could be? i also had some issues connecting to my network lately despite working on other devices.

Last edited:

G'day feintp. Welcome to linux.org

Sounds like a dns issue.

Which browser are you using?

Also/.....have you rebooted your pc?......and reboot your router as well

rebooted my pc several times. still doesn't work. i can't login so it's not a browser issue.

It's not clear... You can't log into your own computer?

If you're at some screen where you can't log in, what happens if you press CTRL ALT F3?

Any chance you have ssh server running on this pc. Maybe you can just login via ip. I'm assuming that authentication is local. If you can get on the box you could do a bit more troubleshooting

It's not clear... You can't log into your own computer?

If you're at some screen where you can't log in, what happens if you press CTRL ALT F3?
CTRL ALT F3 brings me to the service starting screen (see the askubuntu link in my post to see what i mean). pretty much CTRL ALT F* brings me to that screen where it starts the services. is there a way i can get to the recovery mode?
Any chance you have ssh server running on this pc. Maybe you can just login via ip. I'm assuming that authentication is local. If you can get on the box you could do a bit more troubleshooting
i have wifi, no server running. how would i log in via ip?

I'm guessing you don't have ssh server running so what I was suggesting wont help. Did you make any modifications to your system before this started happening? You might be able to boot using installation CD or USB flash drive so you can look at your log..etc Maybe someone else here will have some ideas

I'm guessing you don't have ssh server running so what I was suggesting wont help. Did you make any modifications to your system before this started happening? You might be able to boot using installation CD or USB flash drive so you can look at your log..etc Maybe someone else here will have some ideas
just booted from a usb. was able to get to the desktop with no issues. where would the logs be? should i use timeshift?

Last edited:
logs would be under /var/log . As far as timeshift. I don't know how you would do a restore from a live cd/usb. Will do a bit of research but maybe someone else here has done that

well that was fast. First article I read showed me how to use a usb to restore via timeshift. Assuming that timeshift was installed before the failure and a snapshot taken you should be able to restore. look at the article(see link below) The relevant instructions are in the bottom half of the article. Good luck

update: back to the desktop through snapshot. the network shows its connected. got to be some reason why network name resolution is a problem. cant update either. cant resolve to any update packages. could the wifi card be busted?

Look at the time/day the Timeshift snapshot was taken....and then look at your history of updates ....in update manager under 'View'

Are there any updates since the Timehsift snapshot was taken?....if so, what were they ?

Also after doing that, if there are no clues in there, click on the network symbol.....down beside the clock....select network settings and then click on the gear icon in the bottom right hand corner.
Then IPv4 or IP v6.....whose numbers are being used there?.....if you don't know whose they are, they may belong to your isp.

If IPv4, delete whatever is there, and type in as below: be CERTAIN to click on APPLY after doing that
1712357757669.png

If IPv6.... copy and paste the below to avoid errors...and again make sure to click on APPLY

• 2620:fe::fe
  • 2620:fe::9

So, to summarise, the numbers are:: (copy and paste them for accuracy)....if unsure which your setup uses, put them both in...it will do no harm.
IPv4

IPv6
2620:fe::fe

2620:fe::9

update2: using eth cord now. desktop is still accessible. tried updating packages and changing the dns server. network still doesn't work. my guess is that the wifi card is busted. might just backup my data and do a fresh install.

It is good that you are willing to take that step of reinstalling. Well done.!

Let us know how you get on.

update3: rejoice! the dns resolv.conf file solved the issue. edited it to include the ip addresses @Condobloke gave in the thread and everything now works.
a clue i found that solves the issue: if you can ping google's .com ip address and not "google.com", that means there is a resolver issue. one question for @Condobloke : why was there multiple local addresses in the resolv.conf file commented out? any guesses?

As usual, I am ever so slightly clueless re 'multiple local addresses in the resolv.conf file etc etc.....I will ask a few better minds than mine by putting their names here. They will definitely have more of a clue than myself (they will receive an alert)

@osprey
@GatorsFan

On the matter of the /etc/resolv.conf file, without seeing its exact contents, it's going to be speculative, but it's a fairly straight forward file that enables access to the internet's dns system resolving domain names into ip numerical addresses.

The file needs a nameserver, e.g.
Code:
nameserver 192.168.0.1
In this case, this ip address is an address used in private networks which are not on the internet, and this particular one is the address of the router that the computer is connected to. The router then uses it's connection to the Internet Service Provider to run the dns resolutions.

A entry in the /etc/resolv.conf file like the following:
Code:
nameserver 8.8.8.8
nameserver 8.8.4.4
accesses the google nameservers that do the resolving. If the first one fails, the networking system tries the second one. There can be three such nameservers.

The other main configuration is the search or domain option which basically tells the networking system on the host where to look for dns lookups. A common example:
Code:
search gateway
nameserver 192.168.0.1
where the search option is saying "look for the machine with the gateway" which is the gateway, or default route, to the internet, and the nameserver is the router, as mentioned above in the first example.
To find the address of the gateway, run:
Code:
[tom@min ~]$ route -n
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
0.0.0.0         192.168.0.1     0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 enp3s0
192.168.0.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 enp3s0
192.168.0.1     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.255 UH    0      0        0 enp3s0
where the G flag in the first line signifies that 192.168.0.1 is the gateway in this case. The search config can also specify a fully qualified domain name of the machine for the networking system to access e.g. mydomainname.com.

Other than the above there is the man page on resolv.conf and plenty of online examples and explanations.

Last edited:
Generally I can only think of 3 things that can cause this - 1) a miss-configured resolv.conf file 2) a really crappy internet connection 3) bad or wrong permissions on the resolv.conf file itself
This is mine below the first one is the generated one by NetworkManager the two below it I added - I think you can have 3 of them at max, but I am not entire sure about that

# Generated by NetworkManager
nameserver 192.168.0.1
nameserver 8.8.8.8
nameserver 1.1.1.1

Last edited:

Members online