Need help with GNU/Linux Distro to put on a CD to sell..... :)

B

blackneos940

So a friend gave me a new CD, you know, those Colourful ones.....? :) It's Blue, and has about 700 Megs on it....... :) I might start a business selling cheap CDs at around 5 bucks a pop, and USBs with GNU/Linux Distros on 'em (and finally be able to have some cash on the side to donate!.... :3)..... So, anyway..... :) Distro choice doesn't have to be SUPER specific, just something that will:

1. Work on most PCs, since the buyer might not have an brand spankin' new PC.....

2. Is reasonably easy to set up..... (Unfortunately, no Arch, ryanvade, even though I would like to do that..... :)) But isn't there a less Geeky Arch that you told me about.....? :) People like you, most of our friends here, and I could handle the extra setup, but, (unless they take the time), not the non-Geeky people....... :(

3. It MUST be 700 Megs or less ('cuz that's ALL I have room for [for NOW..... :D])

It also might be a good idea for this Distro to be easy for a Windows user, current or former, to set up and use..... :) But, coming from Windows 7, I can say that there's a lot of User-Friendly options....... :3

So, any ideas.....? :3 Thanks!..... ^^

Last edited:

Probably something Debianish due to wide support for different Computer Architecture.eg x86,Arm etc.

Probably something Debianish due to wide support for different Computer Architecture.eg x86,Arm etc.
Thank you..... :) Except that when I try to burn ISOs or create test files to diagnose this trouble, it won't let me do it..... :(

This can be Debian itself, either netinst or cd with one environment like Xfce or LXDE, they also offer Live CDs that fit into 700mb drive. Also Ubuntu netinst would be fine I suppose. Puppy works from the box and is very small.

Debian doesn't include non-free firmware on default install, so mates will probably have some problems with e.g. in my case Intel wireless cards.

You know, you can also burn several parts of system, and sell them together. Slackware offers several CDs, Debian too.

Actually, things like Gentoo, OpenBSD, NetBSD easily fit on one CD, so I would offer them too:D

You can dig some other systems that offer net install, it's not really hard even for newcomers, also saves a lot of bandwidth
:rolleyes: but probably Ubuntu is the best one:)

Maybe you are being too restrictive by looking for one distro to sell. You might offer X, somebody might want Y and somebody else might want Z.

Have a look at ebay. Have a look at a service like http://linux-man.co.uk/shop/.

If you offer what people want you will build up a collection of ISOs that you can use over and over...

Here is an example of a site that sells a range of Linux Cd's, may give you some ideas
http://www.copyleft.co.nz/

It is correct that Debian itself doesn't include non-free firmware. There are however good Distributions which do include it:
LinuxBBQ, Semplice etc. I think it is a good idea to have a range of different distros for different levels of experience.

Thanks for all the help you guys..... :3 I'd be too stressed out trying to reply to you all (because Autism), but I read ALL of it..... :D But I LIKE the idea of just having a collection of ISOs lying around, (that people would WANT) particularly on my Inspiron with a bigger Drive, as my Chromebook is not enough for those, AND my Music, Videos, Games, Programs, IDEs, etc., etc..... :) Also, I like the idea of including BSDs as well........ :)

Members online