Need help transferring files from Linux to Windows.

Jessee

Reaction score
Credits
Hello
I am a first time poster, but a long time user of Linux, you may be wondering why I am transferring from Linux to Windows as if I am leaving Linux or something, but no that is not the case!
What happened was I am my families resident IT employee and my nanas 10 yr old computer hard drive has started to show signs of slowing down and decay. It has eventually got to the point of wear the Windows OS has been corrupted but all of her over 20,000 pictures are still accessible through booting into Ubuntu from a USB drive.
She has purchased a new windows laptop and wants me to transfer all of this data over to the new laptop. I have transferred Windows to Windows before but never from Linux to Windows. I watched a few youtube tutorials and followed the steps of setting up the IP on one to 192.168.1.1 and the other to 192.168.1.2 and Subnet to 255.255.255.0 and the gateway the mirror of the opposite and have had no luck establishing a connection between the two or transferring any data.
Is their something I am missing? Is their some other way to do this without using SSH or something internet based as their internet speeds leave a lot to be desired.
Thanks for the help!

Last edited by a moderator:

my nanas 10 yr old computer hard drive has started to show signs of slowing down and decay.
the hd could be on the way out but it is more likely windows is clagging up, when was the last time you cleaned it? [in safe mode in this order, run a full AV scan, run a registry cleaner,re-boot in safe mode run disk de-frag] reboot into windows and check the start up registry for non essential programs and black list/block them from startup]
Is their something I am missing? Is their some other way to do this without using SSH
the lazy way,, get a Hard drive to usb 3 adapter [make sure you get the right one] take the old hard drive out switch on the new machine connect the old hard drive with the addaptor , then you can open the files in both drives and drag/drop,

Bwiz

the hd could be on the way out but it is more likely windows is clagging up, when was the last time you cleaned it? [in safe mode in this order, run a full AV scan, run a registry cleaner,re-boor in safe mode run disk de-frag] reboot into windows and check the start up registry for non essential programs and black list/block them from startup]

the lazy way,, get a Hard drive to usb 3 adapter [make sure you get the right one] take the old hard drive out switch on the new machine connect the old hard drive with the addaptor , then you can open the files in both drives and drag/drop,

Bwiz
Windows has now stopped booting alltogether, says Windows ran into a problem and cannot fix it, I tried to troubleshoot that for about an hour and could never come of anything.

and back to the HDD thing... they are both laptops.

Hard drive to usb 3 adapter

^ this

It doesn't even *need* to be USB 3, though that'll make it oh so much faster. You can get an external drive along with it, and move to that - which also ensures there are backups of these precious pictures. I'd go that route, personally.

Also, stop using the drive until you're ready to transfer the data.

This is a good idea unless this device is one of those crappy laptops where the drive is soldered to the board. That's fairly unusual and more unlikely in a laptop that's 10 years old.

It doesn't even *need* to be USB 3,
agreed but he says there are a lot of picture files and the new machine should be USB3 and its about 5 times faster than USB2
[i alway back up my personal files to a large capacity pendrive that's kept lock away.]

and back to the HDD thing... they are both laptops.
not normally a problem on a machine under 15 yrs old my guess would be a 5v 2.5" SATTA drive [there is a slim chance it may be a 5V IDE drive], either way they are fairly simple to remove you only need a non powered adapter,
like this for SATTA ebay.co.uk/itm/164639832451?epi
OR this for both SATTA & IDE
ebay.co.uk/itm/124092081266?_trkparms

of her old lappy is only 10 yr old it will make a great Linux box for somebody

Bwiz

Last edited:
Can't say it's the best way, but if it were my problem, considering how fragile the existing corrupted system is, I'd just plug an external drive into a usb port and copy the files to that. Then you can copy them from the new drive to her new computer. And leave them on the new external drive as a backup and then you can back up Nana's future work on it from time to time, too. You can buy a 1Tb external drive for >$50 on amazon. Can't ever have too many backups!

Windows has now stopped booting alltogether
Another possibility: If your Linux box is a desktop, you might try installing the dying hard drive into it to try copying the photos to your hard drive (if you have enough free space). Once you have them recovered into a safe environment, you can choose how to get them onto the new laptop, via USB or network. The number of photos is not really relevant... it's how much space on disk they need. 20,000 photos at 4 MB each = 80 GB, but I'll bet it will be way less than that unless your nana is a professional photographer.

I am my families resident IT employee
You might want to look at remote desktop program TeamViewer to help with family tech support. It's free for personal use and available for Windows, Mac, and Linux. It has built-in file transfer capability, so no need to configure Samba or NFS to tranfer between different operating systems. TeamViewer is extremely simple to use... nothing needs to be configured. The only caution I have is that when the remote desktop session is ended, TeamViewer keeps running (visible on panel/taskbar)... I recommend closing that too (and teaching the family members to close it).

Last edited:
2.5" IDE than something like this
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction as I have an old box with IDE for the HDD. Well it is a '90's job and off hand I think the processor is a 386 of the Intel range.
Just reading the post to learn.

I have an old box with IDE for the HDD. Well it is a '90's job
I take it to be a tower/desktop! with 31/2" drives in which case you will need a powered version.. this one dose all ebay.co.uk/itm/124092081266?_trkparms

Staff online

Members online