Mint 21.1 Vera, looking good for Christmas

Was that 'internet established' wifi or ethernet cable ?

Internet Established was wired cable to my Tower from the Modem...booted to my Laptop and WiFi works fine from the same Modem...have no internet problems with Cinnamon 19.1 or 20.3. and never have.

At first I thought the internet was down which happens but my Laptop's WiFi works great as does 19.1 on the other SSD...so problem is mint 21.1...maybe I should wait till the next Kernel comes out. :rolleyes:

Mint 21.1 looks good but without the net it's useless.
t9403.gif

Last edited:

Reboot the router and the pc ?

I've got good news...Deleted Cinnamon 21.1 and installed Cinnamon 20.3...problem solved...running it now.
m1211.gif

Reboot the router and the pc ?

Done all that...made no difference...I even re-set the Modem to no effect...even added another connection...problem was 21.1 for sure.
t1935.gif

I couldn't create an image to save for later...maybe in 6 months time when all the "Bugs" are fixed I might give it another go...then maybe not...who said Linux Mint was a beginners Distro.
m0103.gif

I did (said it is a beginners distro)

I cannot find another topic online where anyone has had internet connection problems with 21.1. Quite a few with 19.1 etc etc

perhaps another install may be in order.

Do you tick the box for nonfree stuff when you install ?

If I remember correctly, the "internet connected ' message came up just before the install finished.

Did your usb stick have internet connection when you ran it 'Live'...before installing ?

Internet Established was wired cable to my Tower from the Modem...booted to my Laptop and WiFi works fine from the same Modem...have no internet problems with Cinnamon 19.1 or 20.3. and never have.

At first I thought the internet was down which happens but my Laptop's WiFi works great as does 19.1 on the other SSD...so problem is mint 21.1...maybe I should wait till the next Kernel comes out. :rolleyes:

Mint 21.1 looks good but without the net it's useless.
t9403.gif
What is your wireless card?
Code:
Inxi -Nn
please.
Also have you tried entering the fix ip address of your server?
Am I right in thinking your not getting internet via Ethernet cable also?

What is your wireless card?
Code:
Inxi -Nn
please.
Also have you tried entering the fix ip address of your server?
Am I right in thinking your not getting internet via Ethernet cable also?

I installed Cinnamon 20.3 yesterday and no problems with internet on the same SSD and Modem in the same Tower...I've never had this problem before.

When I installed 21.1...I noticed only 4 folders in Home which I thought strange...20.3 and 19.1 have 8 by default. I installed all updates and internet worked fine for 3 days until yesterday then it stopped.
m1135.gif

When I looked at Kernels it had only one and said...this Kernel is not supported...but it came with 21.1 and I can't roll back as it's the only one...I do think this Kernel is the problem as it does run everything including connecting to the net.

Why would Mint ship 21.1 with an unsupported Kernel ? I also had problems with 21.1 recognising my Flash Drives as they didn't show in the boot menu but do in 19.1 and 20.3...anyway it's been deleted.
m1213.gif

I noticed only 4 folders in Home
That has to be a sure sign of a dud install/dud iso

The gremlins took charge.

1672102189604.png

The 5.15.0-56 kernel is most definitely supported...pic above shows mine

Dud download etc etc...something went south...somewhere

I did download from Mint...https://linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=302

Downloaded from Australian link AARNet or internode can’t remember which...the same place I got Cinnamon 19.1 and 20.3.

I never get it anywhere else but you could be right because something is terribly wrong...I do have a spare HDD so I might download it again and try it because I'm stupid.
t1827.gif

Far from stupid, Bob. Bright enough to give it another go.

I wonder if the thumb drive is playing up? Just a thought

I would say you have a bad iso download or burn. Would try it again.
21.1 has 9 folders. in home.

21.1 has 9 folders. in home.

Ditto from this Aussie - the new one over Vanessa is that for Warpinator.

Downloaded from Australian link AARNet or internode can’t remember which...the same place I got Cinnamon 19.1 and 20.3.

They are fine in my books, very reliable. Even used to be with Internode as an ISP and Telco a few years ago.

I am not convinced it is to do with Vera, but I understand your angst and your reasoning.

I am running updates and Timeshift snapshots this week so I am in and out, but I can use Vera as my main daily driver in between to get to know it. If I learn anything, Bob, I'll come back here.

Cheers

Chris

BTW
When I installed 21.1...I noticed only 4 folders in Home which I thought strange..
... sounds strange to begin with. o_O

Great Minds Think Alike.

@bob466 ....just a late thought........when you boot to the 'burned' iso........have a quick look around in the 'Live ' session.

In particular for the contents of the home folders, and also to see if you have internet connection there.

I downloaded 21.1 from a USA link...burnt to a Flash Drive with etcher and booted to it...9 folders in Home and connected to internet...this is on my Tower.

I'll install it on a spare HDD...got a few of them and I'll see what happens.
m0103.gif

I'll be interested to hear how it burns out turns out, Bob. ;)

I installed Cinnamon 21.1 last night on my spare SSD...was going to put on a HDD but I created an image of Cinnamon 20.3 instead.

This ISO from the USA link...has 9 folders in Home and the Kernel is supported till 2027...unlike the shoddy ISO I downloaded. It's been running a full day and so far so good with the internet still working fingers crossed.
m1213.gif

How the Hell can you download a shoddy ISO from Mint's home page and I ran the checksum which said ISO was ok...Cinnamon 20.3 ISO came from the same site and link and it works fine on both my Laptop and Tower.
t1949.gif

I used the same burning software...etcher and the same Flash Drive for both...I've been running Linux Mint Cinnamon for 7 years and never had the problem...had I been a beginner and this happened I'd be running back to you know where as fast as I could.
t3612.gif

I haven't decided if I'm going to keep it yet might go back to 20.3...time will tell as I have only till April 2023 for my wonderful solid Cinnamon 19.1.
m1510.gif

So glad it is working for you now. :) Brian and I were going nuts (well, I don't need a lot of help there) trying to figure out what was happening.

How the Hell can you download a shoddy ISO from Mint's home page and I ran the checksum which said ISO was ok...Cinnamon 20.3 ISO came from the same site and link and it works fine on both my Laptop and Tower.
t1949.gif

Happened to me, once only, in 2014. I was going for my first multibooting experience, had Ubuntu 14.04 on and was looking to install Mint (17.0 'Qiana' MATE).

The download ended up being an overnight job, and the end result was crap as you might guess.

Put on Zorin OS 9 in the meantime, then got a good Mint onboard. Didn't know enough then to search for a reason.

Many many moons ago, I wrote an article here on how to check hashsums after you have already burned an iso to a stick, it is here.

https://www.linux.org/threads/hash-checking-rare-tips.13544/

I don't know if you want to go to those lengths or just write it off as one of life's mysteries.

Anyway, enjoy.

Chris

Well done Bob. Glad that little saga has ended for you.

How the Hell can you download a shoddy ISO from Mint's home page
I wonder if there was a 'pause' in the power..which would introduce a similar pause in the internet....maybe resulting in the loss of some of the data....but not showing up as a corrupted download in the sense of infected data

Whatever...we will probably never know.
Stick it in the "experience" box and move on.

Just for something to do, I changed the software sources back to default and got a fairly large download of updates at the time I installed. That got everything up to date, pronto ! It was a nice clear night without any storms etc around,,,I find that makes a difference sometimes.

Onward & Upward.

As I couldn't remember which link I used...AARNET or Internode...so tonight I downloaded 21.1 from AARNET..no problem.

Then I tried to Download it from Internode and got this...
2022-12-28-19-18.png

This never appeared when I downloaded it a few days ago...of cause I didn't download it again when I saw that this time...I wish this came up a few days ago...I would have myself a lot of grief.
t1943.gif

Members online

Latest posts