Minimal BASH --- Grub --- error 17

It recognizes the usb and shows Ubuntu-16.04.2-desktop-amd64.iso

I don't know exactly what to do now

Hmmm, you might not have properly made the USB bootable. You can't just copy the .iso file to the drive, it won't boot like that. Is that what you did?

Hmmm, you might not have properly made the USB bootable. You can't just copy the .iso file to the drive, it won't boot like that. Is that what you did?

Not sure...... How about I do it again..... Tell me how

Oh, you are a glutton for punishment, huh? :D

First off, if you have anything else on the USB besides the .iso file, you need to save it somewhere else. Making it a live bootable Ubuntu will erase everything on it.

Next, there are many ways to do this! But we'll stick with the command line (until you're an expert!).

Copy the Ubuntu .iso file to your desktop. That's as good a place as any.

I'll be back in a few to finish (and give you time to save anything if you need to).

Oh, you are a glutton for punishment, huh? :D

First off, if you have anything else on the USB besides the .iso file, you need to save it somewhere else. Making it a live bootable Ubuntu will erase everything on it.

Next, there are many ways to do this! But we'll stick with the command line (until you're an expert!).

Copy the Ubuntu .iso file to your desktop. That's as good a place as any.

I'll be back in a few to finish (and give you time to save anything if you need to).

Do I need the folder that says System Volume Information too?
And yes, I am a glutton for punishment lol

Gosh, I have kept you all day...... I did not realize that..... We can do more tomorrow if you wish, I will have to go chore and cook soon lol

Gosh, I have kept you all day...... I did not realize that..... We can do more tomorrow if you wish, I will have to go chore and cook soon lol

I'm okay if you are. Not much more to go, I think.

OK, if the .iso is copied to the desktop, we'll try to step through this (not too many steps).

Leave the USB plugged in.

Open a terminal and enter "LSBLK" (lower case, no quotes)
The response should show many partitions, stuff like /sda and /sda1, but probably at the bottom will be another letter at the end... mine is /sdf and /sdf1 ... but the last letter may be differerent on yours.

Enter "SUDO UMOUNT /DEV/SDF (no quotes, use lower case, use your drive letter if different)
And do sudo umount /dev/sdf1 and any other number if there are moe than one. This is "unmounting" the USB drive, even though it is still plugged in.

Enter "cd Desktop" (no quotes, lower case as shown except capital D is probably needed)

Enter "LS" (lower case, no quotes)
This should list everything on your Desktop, including the Ubuntu .iso file you copied earlier

If there are problems with any of this, let me know.

The next step should be:

sudo dd if=inputfile.iso of=/dev/sdf bs=4m && sync

But you need to replace "inputfile" with the full name of the Ubuntu-Desktop- .iso -- and you can use the TAB to complete that like before as you start to type the filename. Be sure that the /dev/sdf matches your drive letter if not an "f".

If you get all this going correctly, it will take some time to finish... and it won't show you anything while its happening. The thing you'll notice is that your command line "prompt" did not come back. When the "dd" operation is finished, then the command line prompt comes back and you know its done.

If all that goes well, you should be able to boot on the USB stick. :D

OK, if the .iso is copied to the desktop, we'll try to step through this (not too many steps).

Leave the USB plugged in.

Open a terminal and enter "LSBLK" (lower case, no quotes)
The response should show many partitions, stuff like /sda and /sda1, but probably at the bottom will be another letter at the end... mine is /sdf and /sdf1 ... but the last letter may be differerent on yours.

Enter "SUDO UMOUNT /DEV/SDF (no quotes, use lower case, use your drive letter if different)
And do sudo umount /dev/sdf1 and any other number if there are moe than one. This is "unmounting" the USB drive, even though it is still plugged in.

Enter "cd Desktop" (no quotes, lower case as shown except capital D is probably needed)

Enter "LS" (lower case, no quotes)
This should list everything on your Desktop, including the Ubuntu .iso file you copied earlier

If there are problems with any of this, let me know.

The next step should be:

sudo dd if=inputfile.iso of=/dev/sdf bs=4m && sync

But you need to replace "inputfile" with the full name of the Ubuntu-Desktop- .iso -- and you can use the TAB to complete that like before as you start to type the filename. Be sure that the /dev/sdf matches your drive letter if not an "f".

This is the first:
christina@christina-K53U:~$ lsblk
NAME MAJ:MIN RM SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
sda 8:0 0 298.1G 0 disk
├─sda1 8:1 0 294.5G 0 part /
├─sda2 8:2 0 1K 0 part
└─sda5 8:5 0 3.6G 0 part [SWAP]
sdb 8:16 1 1.9G 0 disk
└─sdb1 8:17 1 1.9G 0 part /media/christina/
sr0 11:0 1 1024M 0 rom
christina@christina-K53U:~$

What do I use for the unmount

This is the first:
christina@christina-K53U:~$ lsblk
NAME MAJ:MIN RM SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
sda 8:0 0 298.1G 0 disk
├─sda1 8:1 0 294.5G 0 part /
├─sda2 8:2 0 1K 0 part
└─sda5 8:5 0 3.6G 0 part [SWAP]
sdb 8:16 1 1.9G 0 disk
└─sdb1 8:17 1 1.9G 0 part /media/christina/
sr0 11:0 1 1024M 0 rom
christina@christina-K53U:~$

What do I use for the unmount

OK, yours is sdb... and its umount (not unmount) in the command. But do both:
sudo umount /dev/sdb
sudo umount /dev/sdb1

And go from there...

OK, yours is sdb... and its umount (not unmount) in the command. But do both:
sudo umount /dev/sdb
sudo umount /dev/sdb1

And go from there...

Ok, all done. Now what? Do I close the terminal and remove the usb?

Ok, all done. Now what? Do I close the terminal and remove the usb?

Yep! You can try to just let it boot on it... without any intervention (that would tell you that the BIOS is set to do this if it works).

If it boots to your regular Ubuntu, reboot again with the "hold the ESC key" method, and choose the USB when you reach the boot menu there.

Yep! You can try to just let it boot on it... without any intervention (that would tell you that the BIOS is set to do this if it works).

If it boots to your regular Ubuntu, reboot again with the "hold the ESC key" method, and choose the USB when you reach the boot menu there.

Thanks for all the help! Sorry to keep you so long.....

Thanks, Paul. But I hope we hear back from @Christina soon to know everything is now working okay, and hopefully booting on the USB also.

Cheers!

Back again lol Had a failed update and when I try to restart it goes nuts and ends with a kernel panic hahaha I can boot an older version which I am using now but want to make sure I update correctly to fix the boot problem. Said it could not boot, something about missing file I think.....

Members online