Mindless (and pointless) drivel...

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
So, I'm watching a 24 hour long race (Le Mans, first run 100 years ago), and was doing some security stuff in the background. This means that I skipped my sleeping meds. (I have severe insomnia issues.)

The following is a screenshot of just a single point of defense for my linux-tips.us site...

N0PnFRI.png

If that number looks like a big number - that's actually just the attacks in the past 72 hours.

Yeah...

That's just one layer of defense. I use multiple layers of defense.

When the site was less popular, I wouldn't see that many attacks in a month. I guess this is a 'benefit' of a site that's fairly popular (compared to many).

Still, I can't imagine what the results would be without these defenses? I also know that many WordPress "admins" don't take any steps to secure their site. They simply don't know better and it's trivial to start a WordPress site. Like 30% of the public facing web is powered by WordPress!

It makes me think... How insecure is all this stuff out there? I've aged out of my 'curious' years - those years when I'd go probing servers to see what I could find. So, I have no idea.

Those of you running publc-facing corporate stuff, how much of your traffic is legit traffic?

(I posted this in off-topic as it doesn't really fit a topic and this type of material lends itself to off-topic replies.)

Seriously! That's just the last 72 hours!

By the way... That's my tiny site (when compared to linux.org).

Imagine how many attacks this site gets. I don't know what goes on behind the curtain (as I am not a server admin, nor a regular admin) but I bet this site gets tenfold the attacks. I don't know if there's a generic way to get that data with XenForo. I don't recall seeing such while running a test instance, so you'd probably have to be a server admin and have some WAF enabled.

Members online