Microphone not working ZenBook Pro Duo UX582LR

cyph3r

Reaction score
Credits
I'm new to Linux and recently bought a ZenBook Pro Duo UX582LR. I'm running Zorin OS 16 Pro and having audio issues. The audio appears to be working. In settings you can see feedback from output meter and the input meter on the microphone but can't hear anything on the speakers. I found this thread https://www.linux.org/threads/solved-asus-zenbook-15-ux534f-realtek-hd-audio-problem.27384/ and the below commands work to get audio playing from the speaker but it causes the microphone to stop working. Any help would be appreciated.

sudo hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D0 0x20 0x500 0x1b
sudo hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D0 0x20 0x477 0x4a4b
sudo hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D0 0x20 0x500 0xf
sudo hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D0 0x20 0x477 0x74

I don't know if this will help you, It's from the Zorin

I'm new to Linux and recently bought a ZenBook Pro Duo UX582LR. I'm running Zorin OS 16 Pro and having audio issues. The audio appears to be working. In settings you can see feedback from output meter and the input meter on the microphone but can't hear anything on the speakers. I found this thread https://www.linux.org/threads/solved-asus-zenbook-15-ux534f-realtek-hd-audio-problem.27384/ and the below commands work to get audio playing from the speaker but it causes the microphone to stop working. Any help would be appreciated.

sudo hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D0 0x20 0x500 0x1b
sudo hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D0 0x20 0x477 0x4a4b
sudo hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D0 0x20 0x500 0xf
sudo hda-verb /dev/snd/hwC0D0 0x20 0x477 0x74
The reason you have no output through your speakers is because there is no program linking the microphone input to any outputs.
You'll be able to monitor the levels in the sound options, to see what sort of levels your microphone is picking up, but you won't hear anything.

If you open up a program like audacity - you can set the microphone as the input and then record from the microphone and then play back the recording to listen back.

Likewise, if you start a call with a SIP client, or something like Jitsi, Zoom, or Skype - those applications will stream audio from your microphone to whoever you're talking with. But again, you won’t hear your voice through the headphones/speakers.

Off the top of my head - if you just want your voice to come straight out of the speakers, you could perhaps open a terminal and try this (using alsa):
Bash:
arecord | aplay
That will work. That will record audio from the default input device and will pipe it directly to aplay, which will play it back immediately through the systems default output device.

To stop the process - simply press ctrl + c to kill it.

Just be careful with how loud your speakers are and with how much gain you have on your mic, because you could end up with a lot of screechy feedback!
The only way to prevent the feedback would be to keep the microphone away from the speakers, or perhaps plug in some headphones (especially if your mic is internal) - that way the mic won't pick up any of the audio from the speakers and cause a feedback loop.

It's also worth noting that this method will have a bit of latency to it - so there will be some delay between your mic picking up a sound and it coming out of your speakers.

Another way I can think of, to connect the mic directly to the speakers would be to install pavucontrol (mixer for the pulseaudio system) and then run:
Bash:
pactl load-module module-loopback latency_msec=10
That will load pulseaudio's loopback module and will allow you to set up which device to route through the local loopback interface. I've just arbitratily set the latency to 10 milliseconds, which should reduce the delay between speech and playback.

However, if that value is too low for your system - you could end up with underruns, or drop-outs. In which case, you should increase it a little bit.

Once you have the loopback module running in pulse, you should be able to run pavucontrol and open the "Recording" tab to set up which microphone should loop-back into your default output device. As soon as that is set up - that should directly route voice input to your speakers.

And again - be careful with your speaker levels and the mic gain levels, or you could end up with a lot of feedback.
If you have an internal mic that cannot be kept away from the speaker output - the only way to avoid feedback is to use headphones!

To stop it, use the command:
Bash:
pactl unload-module module-loopback
That will unload the loopback module and stop your microphone audio from going directly to the speaker.

NOTE: When you run pactl load-module module-loopback - you will see a number output to the terminal.
If you want to shut the module down with less typing, you could use pactl unload-module {number} - where {number} is the number that was displayed when you loaded the module. So for example, if loading the module outputs 22, then to unload the module, you would use:
Bash:
pactl unload-module 22

Another even more advanced method of routing your audio would be to install and use JACK (Jacks Audio Connection Kit) and qjackctl - But I'm not going to go into that here. I don't have time to discuss all of the ins and outs of using JACK. But if you're a musician and want to record audio - then JACK is pretty much a necessity!

So it IS possible to route microphone input directly to the speaker, as I have demonstrated. And there are several ways of doing so.

There are times when monitoring voice input is desirable. However - generally speaking - you don't want to do it all of the time because it's going to feed back, unless you are extremely careful with your setup!

I hope this helps!

Last edited:
Hey guys, really appreciate the help here. @brickwizard thanks for the reference thread. I've taken a look at it but it seems to be mostly about alsamixer settings which I have spent a fair amount of time with already to no avail. I think my problem is deeper than alsa settings. @JasKinasis thanks for such an in depth walk through although perhaps I should have been more clear with my original post. My issue isn't that I'm trying to get the mic to route out to the speakers its that the mic isn't working at all. I've tried using Zoom and Audacity but the mic isn't receiving any input from my voice. Its been essentially turned off by the previous series of commands from my first post. If I don't run those commands my mic works but the speakers don't. For example I was able to do a zoom call and the other person could hear my voice but I couldn't hear them. Once I run that series of commands though the opposite happens; I can hear them but they can't hear me.

Hey guys, really appreciate the help here. @brickwizard thanks for the reference thread. I've taken a look at it but it seems to be mostly about alsamixer settings which I have spent a fair amount of time with already to no avail. I think my problem is deeper than alsa settings. @JasKinasis thanks for such an in depth walk through although perhaps I should have been more clear with my original post. My issue isn't that I'm trying to get the mic to route out to the speakers its that the mic isn't working at all. I've tried using Zoom and Audacity but the mic isn't receiving any input from my voice. Its been essentially turned off by the previous series of commands from my first post. If I don't run those commands my mic works but the speakers don't. For example I was able to do a zoom call and the other person could hear my voice but I couldn't hear them. Once I run that series of commands though the opposite happens; I can hear them but they can't hear me.
Ah, OK. I completely misinterpreted your original post.
I'm not familiar with hda-verb. It looks like it's doing really low-level re-tasking of different ports/pins on the sound-card. I've never really messed with things at that low a level before. I'm not sure how you'd go about resetting everything to the default settings after re-tasking like that either.

I'd need to do a bit of reading and have a play on one of my own systems. But that would only be helpful for whatever sound cards I have on my machines. It might not apply to yours. Hmmmm..... Not sure what to suggest offhand. I'll try to take a detailed look at some point in the next few days!

Last edited:

Members online