lost my wifi connections list!

johnny306

Reaction score
Credits
I recently installed linux loki on my notebook. It has been working great until today. I can not connect to the Internet using wifi. The wifi connect list has disappeared. How can I fix this problem? I am a new linux user....Thanks, johnny306

G'day johnny306, and Welcome to Linux.org

Do you have a wifi button on your keyboard ?...if you do press it off and on and toggle the wifi switch in network settings at the same time ....not a certain cure, but worth a try.

no luck..?...read on...

THESE instructions appear to be pertinent.

Likewise G'day @johnny306 , this from another Aussie ;)

See how you go with Brian's (@Condobloke 's) stuff. In Brian's linked material, if your WiFi has been detected during your Linux install, then its name will be revealed under the following command, from Terminal

Code:
iwconfig

The first line of mine shows as follows:

wlp13s0 IEEE 802.11 ESSID:"TP-LINK_E5568C"

... so I would type in TP-LINK_E5568C within the quotes.

See how you go, and we've got your back with other ideas, if needed.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

About loss of WIFI : I use Xubuntu Linux 16.04 on a laptop and I lost the WIFI after kernel update from 4.13.0-45 to 4.15.0-24 on july 2 2018. My provisional solution is to boot using kernel 4.13.0-45 selected with grub menu.( maj key depressed at start-up. I will do that until next xubuntu kernel update.

G'day johnny306, and Welcome to Linux.org

Do you have a wifi button on your keyboard ?...if you do press it off and on and toggle the wifi switch in network settings at the same time ....not a certain cure, but worth a try.

no luck..?...read on...

THESE instructions appear to be pertinent.
Thanks for the help. I have discovered that my problems happens when Linux Loki updates.

SO....when Loki attempts to update....the update fails ?....more detail please..

About loss of WIFI : I use Xubuntu Linux 16.04 on a laptop and I lost the WIFI after kernel update from 4.13.0-45 to 4.15.0-24 on july 2 2018. My provisional solution is to boot using kernel 4.13.0-45 selected with grub menu.( maj key depressed at start-up. I will do that until next xubuntu kernel update.
Thank you for the information. My problem also happens when Loki updates.

Upon reading further I discover that loki has no update manager installed, and also does not have Timeshift installed to roll back your system if something goes wrong.

There fore I think it best if you follow Wizards advice at post #3

He will have Loki installed somewhere on his myriad of HDD's, and will be more able to guide you through

Can i ask....what are the specs/model number etc of the laptop you installed this on ?

hard drive size, how many gb of ram, etc etc

Upon reading further I discover that loki has no update manager installed, and also does not have Timeshift installed to roll back your system if something goes wrong.

There fore I think it best if you follow Wizards advice at post #3

He will have Loki installed somewhere on his myriad of HDD's, and will be more able to guide you through

Can i ask....what are the specs/model number etc of the laptop you installed this on ?

hard drive size, how many gb of ram, etc etc
I am using a older dell laptop. It has a 500gb hd and 4 gigs of ram installed. The intel processor is a dual core 1.6 ghz. Linux Loki is the only thing installed on the hard drive. I have plenty of free space. Thank you kindly for trying to help.

After you have played around with Loki for a while, and hopefully solved the wifi problem, ....load up your usb with Linux Mint 19 (Cinnamon) , and take it for a practice run. Or maybe Lm 19 XFCE or maybe even Lm19 MATE. Just a suggestion. Wiz will no doubt expand on my suggestion.

I am using a older dell laptop. It has a 500gb hd and 4 gigs of ram installed. The intel processor is a dual core 1.6 ghz. Linux Loki is the only thing installed on the hard drive. I have plenty of free space. Thank you kindly for trying to help.
I have been thinking about trying another distro of Linux. It seems as if Loki has too many bugs. I like things simple and easy to use. I use the laptop daily for just basic computing.

Thanks for your help. I have tried to use Linux lite os in the past but good with.I could not get my wireless adapter card configured right, so I just gave up. I need auto config on some things because I have older computers. Some things I am good at with computers and some things I am not so good at.....Thanks johnny 306

Hi all and regrets for the delay :p

Actually, not so, Brian :D. Hence a part of the delay, have Loki installed now, and have run a few tests.

My last excursion with EOS was about 3 years ago, when I used v0.3 codenamed "Freya" - their Devs name releases after Roman and Norse gods.

I'll give a few insights on what I have found, and any further advice will be partly focused on whether the OP, that's you @johnny306 , plans definitely to change Distros or not. Which is not to say that what I have found may not be of benefit to other users of EOS.

Personally, I think the Dell sounds like a great test environment for Linux :D. If I were you, with a 500GB HDD, I would be inclined to install another Linux, see if you like it, and if you do, you can always blow away the Loki and reclaim the space.

If you wish to consider a possibility whereby you might wish to multi-boot Linux, then your best bet is to reformat your HDD to GPT, and we can tell you about that. Your current environment will have a restriction called "the 4 partition rule", which is a restriction of MS-DOS, not Linux. We can remove that restriction with GPT and you can have as many Linux as you like.

To that effect, and for advice on other Linux, we could really do with your specs, as Brian has asked previously. A command called "inxi" will reveal all we need for now, and rest assured there is no privacy compromise. Inxi does not ship by default with Loki, so try the following at Terminal, the # part is my comment/s.

Code:
sudo apt install inxi

#or

sudo apt-get -y install inxi

The -y option with apt-get simply bypasses having to approve changes, and is useful for installing software that is already in your Distrs repositories (Repos).

Following that, run

Code:
inxi -Fxs

and post us the output.

I have tried to use Linux lite os in the past but good with.I could not get my wireless adapter card configured right, so I just gave up.

So, again, we could do with the output of

Code:
iwconfig

Mine looks like this, but note that I have placed asterisks in one part, for security purposes, you could do the same?

chris@Loki:~$ iwconfig
lo no wireless extensions.

enp14s0 no wireless extensions.

wlp13s0 IEEE 802.11 ESSID:"TP-LINK_E5568C"
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.412 GHz Access Point:**:**:**:**:**:**
Bit Rate=150 Mb/s Tx-Power=15 dBm
Retry short limit:7 RTS thr:eek:ff Fragment thr:eek:ff
Power Management:eek:ff
Link Quality=53/70 Signal level=-57 dBm
Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

This will tell us whether your wifi has been properly captured, and its details still current despite the "indigestion" you may have suffered with updates.

Finally for now, what was said at #4 by @alain K (& welcome to linux.org, Alain :p, thanks for the input!) has relevance I will describe further, in my tomorrow.

Since installing Loki - it shipped with Linux Kernel 4.13.0-32, and its latest is v. 4.15.0-24 ... we can roll you back to the 4.13 series, where your wifi worked, and it need only be a temporary workaround if you wish to change Distros, but also allow you to capture your wifi details that can be used, if necessary with almost any other Linux install :D

More tomorrow my time, and ask away, with any questions.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

I recently installed linux loki on my notebook. It has been working great until today. I can not connect to the Internet using wifi. The wifi connect list has disappeared. How can I fix this problem? I am a new linux user....Thanks, johnny306
I may have fixed my problem connecting with my wifi. If I do not turn off my wifi connection in the taskbar when I shutdown, upon restart i do not lose my wifi connection list. Maybe this bit of information might help someone else. Thanks everyone for the help and advise.....johnny306

I never turn off my connection in the taskbar.....never

If I do not turn off my wifi connection in the taskbar when I shutdown, upon restart i do not lose my wifi connection list.

Now the penny drops :p. No need to turn the wifi off, Johnny. Linux is not Windows.

Take a look when you get time at this article here, it will give you an idea, focus on the "systemd"" parts -

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/NetworkManager

Ubuntu 16.04, upon which Loki is based, uses (as do many Linux, now) systemd.

You will likely have had a System tray that either looks like this

EurX0Py.png

or like this

MAw6N0B.png

Doesn't matter which, it will remain that way until you switch on the WiFi again.

Effectively, you have performed the equivalent of this command

Code:
sudo systemctl disable NetworkManager.service

So if that is all that's wrong with Loki, well and good.

If, however, you choose to replace it, or add an additional Linux to try, then consider all I said above, and it would be a good idea to take a note of all your WiFi settings, by clicking the Connectivity icon in the System Tray, going in and checking Settings and getting the data from all tabbed pages.

Cheers

Wizard

Staff online

Members online