Looking for Music player which plays from folders

Donosuar

Reaction score
Credits
Does anyone know of a Linux music player which can play mp3s from folders in order? i.e plays song from folder 1, then from folder 2, then from folder 3 etc, then goes back to folder 1 and plays through sequence again. I have checked most current options, but cant find one which uses folders. Am currently using Mint, also investigating Linuxlite.

I love Clementine. Make a playlist from Folders. Look at the menu at ICECAST.. lots of free internet radio stations no sub needed. Load your folders save the playlist.

Thanks, Ive tried Clementine, and Audacious and most other players usually suggested but they don't do what I'm looking for. I'm looking for a player which will play lists of songs in order by folder.

The player I use is DeaDBeef (no typos...that is the correct name)

Under edit , you can elect to sort by title, track number, artist, date, random, custom, If you were to organise the songs in folders into 1, 2, 3 ......and then go to sort by folders, it will arrange the folders/songs in that order.
Then go to Playback, and click on repeat and then on All Tracks.

DeaDBeef is available in the Linux Mint Software Manager
last updated 28th June 2020

Thanks, Ive tried Clementine, and Audacious and most other players usually suggested but they don't do what I'm looking for. I'm looking for a player which will play lists of songs in order by folder.
Clementine can do that, I think(I don't use that feature), you just have to sort the files by folder(or some similar wording). You can try cmus too, it's a ncurses(terminal)music player, you can add the folders one by one, and they'll be sorted that way, I think. I use it, and it's a great player; lightweight, fast and playback quality is great. https://cmus.github.io/ Make sure to read the docs, as it contains lots of good info. Even if cmus can't do exactly(which I think it can, I just don't use that feature)what you want, I suggest you give it a go, if you don't like it, at least you'll learn something new, but I think you will :)

EDIT: I just checked in Clementine, and if you sort the playlist by source(last column), it'll do what you want. :)
I also tried in Cmus, but it seems you might need to edit its configuration file to achieve what you want, if you just add the folders, it'll sort the files by artist :)

Last edited:
I do it for videos. Highlight the folders, right click and select open with, then select VLC. You may need to browse for VLC's binary, depending on your desktop environment. It happily plays the videos in order, starting with the first folder and then going through them in order. I would expect the behavior to be similar with all media files.

Clementine can do it by folders, alphabetically, you arrange whatever then save the playlist. I loaded it and tried just that before I commented.

As I said ICECAST in the menu is filled with free radios from all over. I found an awesome Heavy Metal/Hard Rock Instrumental station.

I guess I must be being dense, I cant see any option to sort by source, or by folders. Is there any sort of online guide to Clementine which which details how? Ive found one guide but it doesnt have enough detail.

On the left side it has Libraries, Files, etc... If you have not set it up it kind of helps. When you have it the way you want you save a Playlist. I have 4 so far. Folder wise it starts at the first song in the folder. You can number the songs it will play that way by Artist, Alpha, you can Group songs.... it works for me.

I guess I must be being dense, I cant see any option to sort by source, or by folders. Is there any sort of online guide to Clementine which which details how? Ive found one guide but it doesnt have enough detail.
I can see it here
clementine_sorce.png

I do it for videos. Highlight the folders, right click and select open with, then select VLC. You may need to browse for VLC's binary, depending on your desktop environment. It happily plays the videos in order, starting with the first folder and then going through them in order. I would expect the behavior to be similar with all media files.
I dont usually use VLC for audio,but if you open the playlis,you can drop any file or folder into it and it will play them in that order.With folders,you have to open them, select all in the edit tab,then drop into playlist.I do this with mixed video and jpeg slideshow and it works well.There is a continuous play setting in VLC.This should work for any combination of media that VLC recognizes.

Left side. under search. Library for me is alphabetical. Files you click then point it to folders and it will do its thing. Not top menu but Left side.

Members online

Latest posts