Solved Linux vs hp

Solved issue

ymabreu

Reaction score
Credits
Hello. I have a hp Notebook (hp 15-ac158 dx) with Windows 10 and I want to install It Debian 12 or the Ubuntu last version. I create a boot USB with yumi program. I put Debian, Ubuntu and krd ISOs in this boot usb. When I use this boot USB the resul is:
-With Debian open the first graphic menu, I select install option and show me this message:
loading /install.amd/vmlinuz failed: no such file or directory.

-With krd show me this message: loading /multiboot/krd/boot/rescue failed: no such file or directory boot

what can i do to resolve this situation?

welcome to the forums

Why Linux fails to load/install direct to HDD, common reasons
1] Corrupt download [check SHA sum]
2] bad burn to installation medium [try again] [if you used Rufus then try Balena Etcher]
3] Wind 8.2 and higher quick start/fast boot or secure boot not disabled [doesn't normally apply to older versions]
4] defective pen-drive/dvd
5] hardware fault,
5A] If old style HDD run integrity check
5B]if SATA SSD check for hidden partition at the beginning of drive [this will stop Grub from loading] and delete it before re-installing Linux
If M2.NVMe check, your system is NVMe compatible [not all older kit is]

Hello. I have a hp Notebook (hp 15-ac158 dx) with Windows 10 and I want to install It Debian 12 or the Ubuntu last version. I create a boot USB with yumi program. I put Debian, Ubuntu and krd ISOs in this boot usb. When I use this boot USB the resul is:
-With Debian open the first graphic menu, I select install option and show me this message:
loading /install.amd/vmlinuz failed: no such file or directory.

-With krd show me this message: loading /multiboot/krd/boot/rescue failed: no such file or directory boot

what can i do to resolve this situation?
Maybe try only one bootable iso on the USB Flash Drive, one at a time, then take it from there.

I have not had good luck with yumi. Ventoy seems to work better. But I agree with @aeiou here.
If this is the first time you've tried it, I would stick with a single OS to rule out any other problems.

If you are using your Windows 10 machine to download the Debian 12 Linux .iso and you want to make that distro bootable........ You'll need to use Rufus.

need to use Rufus.
Rufus has been problematic for the last couple of years, many of us tend to recommend Balena Etcher.

Both Balena Etcher and Ventoy are cross-platform, so they can be installed to and run from Windows.

Wizard

Yumi has two versions, bios and uefi. Make sure it matches the computer boot.

Vektor

Rufus has been problematic for the last couple of years, many of us tend to recommend Balena Etcher.
According to WIKIPEDIA, RUFUS doesn't do Multiboot. I found balenaEtcher to be very easy to use, to burn one iso at a time.

1700952189264.png

I totally agree.

When I first mentioned it at this site (July 2017), it was plain old Etcher. Balena bought into them around November 2018.

For multibooting, we've been recommending Ventoy since 2020.

Once installed on a stick, it is very easy to use (just drag and drop isos) and also allows for Persistence to be added.

Cheers

Wiz

I'll just throw another log on the fire here. As far as I know Rufus only works on Windoze.
But if you already have a Linux computer setup, you have a couple of other options.
For example Fedora has...

1701101126593.png

Fedora Media Writer, which works very good. It also installs on every RPM based Linux I have tried so far.
( It does require Xwindows to be installed )

But for those brave souls willing to use a CLI, I normally use "dd"

dd if=/path/to/myCoolLinuxDistro.iso of=/dev/sdb ibs=2G obs=2G
Obviously you will need to change the if and of paths according to your needs.

I'll just throw another log on the fire here. As far as I know Rufus only works on Windoze.
But if you already have a Linux computer setup, you have a couple of other options.
For example Fedora has...

View attachment 17405

Fedora Media Writer, which works very good. It also installs on every RPM based Linux I have tried so far.
( It does require Xwindows to be installed )

But for those brave souls willing to use a CLI, I normally use "dd"

dd if=/path/to/myCoolLinuxDistro.iso of=/dev/sdb ibs=2G obs=2G
Obviously you will need to change the if and of paths according to your needs.

Another vote for Fedora Media Writer. So simple to use.

I won't go into detail about how we run multiple Puppies from a single partition, because it'll just confuse the issue. But, even with our method, if I'm trying Puppy out for the first time on a new (to me) machine - frequently a refurb anyway! - I will limit myself to a single install.......and work out the 'kinks' with that one first. Once that's successful, THEN I'll consider installing a second or third Puppy.

Ya gotta learn to walk before you can run. That apples to ALL stages of your life.....and any learning process.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

I will make a recommendation here.

Although the veterans amongst us in the Puppy community tend to employ the "quick'n'dirty" method, when we were putting together the new Beginner's section on the Puppy Forum around 18 months ago, we tested a whole bunch of USB 'installer'-type apps. We soon came to the conclusion that the best types were those that were 'dd'-based. Balena Etcher is one such, though because of Puppy's somewhat unique set-up, it refuses to work for us.......but the one we found that consistently worked for us, and created a fully-functional, bootable USB every single time was the ROSA ImageWriter.

It's simply an easy-to-use GUI front-end for 'dd'. QT-based, this thing has been statically-compiled, and hence will work literally anywhere. Although you can obtain it from, say, pkgs.org, these are invariably RPM packages. I know most of you tend to like installing the proper, correct type of package for your distro; most of you aren't as "hands-on" as we are in Puppyland!

We found the simplest way to obtain this is to download the pre-compiled binaries as a tarball direct from the ROSA wiki:-

ROSA ImageWriter

Scroll down below the image to the section titled "Where can I take it?" (bear in mind this is a translation from the original Russian wiki!).....and just click on the appropriate tarball for your architecture. There's both 64-bit AND 32-bit, so this'll still work for those of you running 32-bit distros on really elderly hardware.

When you unzip the tarball, you end up with a directory containing the ImageWriter binary, along with a couple of "ReadMe's" and a 'Lang' sub-directory. Keep this directory as-is, though you can move the directory anywhere you like.......all you need to do is to click on the binary to execute it directly. (You may need to go into 'Properties', or whatever your file-manager calls it, to set it as executable).

This thing just works. Stat. And I've never met a distro yet that doesn't come with 'dd' pre-installed.....

Mike. ;)

Last edited:
Hi.
My inglish is not good bot this forum is the best. I have a lot of good anwers.

I did the homework:
1- I used Balena Etcher with one distro and then USB boot play good.
2- I checked my laptop and it use UEFI mode.
3- I checked the YUMI (yumi is based on Ventoy now) website and founded three option to download. I downloaded YUMI-exFAT that suport UEFI and BIOS mode. Now I have a multiboot usb and it is very good. Like Ventoy we can add more ISOs after creating it

Thanks a lot.

I checked the YUMI (yumi is based on Ventoy now)...

That's interesting, I did not know that, thanks for sharing.

Wizard

Too bad YUMI does not work for linux. Wine does not count. That is why I did not like Teamviewer.

Vektor