Linux to External Hard Drive

MATE or Cinnamon, Stan?

In MATE I can do this (click the picture for a larger image)

Xp2zWo8.png

The icon is a beer fermenter, I brew my own. The Office is here, when doubleclicked it brings me straight to linux.org.

I'll check and see if it is the same with Cinnamon.

Wiz

Last edited:

Actually, Stan, hold off on answering that question, we are going off-topic somewhat on what your original thread subject matter was.

At #8, you let us know, in part

I'm taking a different path now. I know just enough to be dangerous. I am trying to burn the Linux files to a disk, so I can install to my laptop from there. Background - I have set up a partition in my laptop for a new drive, called H.

... and at #11, in part

Got it working. Thanks for all the help and advice.

So I take it you now have a Linux Mint fully installed and working on the lappie, and not on the external drive. Is that so?

If YES, then our other readers, The Viewers, as I call them, won't find their answers here yet, if they wish to install to an external drive.

I would suggest you start a new Thread, either at

https://www.linux.org/forums/general-linux.143/

or

https://www.linux.org/forums/desktop-x.146/

and continue to ask these questions. I can move my last Post over there when you do.

Title it appropriately with eg "Linux Mint Cinnamon/MATE post-install questions", customising desktop &c, you get the picture.

If at a later stage you want to run a Linux from the External, just come back here and we can pick up.

Cheers

Wizard

Stan before I forget, one thing you should do immediately after a full install, if you have not already done so is to enable your firewall. It is not on by default.

With the Debian-based Linux such as you are using, and with many others, this is known as The Uncomplicated Firewall - UFW.

Go to Terminal (Ctrl-Alt-t) and enter the following

Code:
sudo ufw enable

You will be asked for your password. Enter it (there will be no movement, security) and press Enter.

You will be rewarded with a message that the firewall has been enabled in real time, ie for the rest of your session, and that a small script has been generated that will enable it at every reboot and startup.

If at any time you wish to check that that is in place, enter

Code:
sudo ufw status

For many of us (myself included) the presence of that firewall and a firewall at our router is sufficient, and we don't employ antivirus software, although same is available if we wish it, just ask in the appropriate venue.

Cheers

Wizard

Stan, welcome to Linux.org! A question or two. Are you dual booting with your installation, in other words do you still have Windows 10 on this computer? If so, when you used Windows 10, did you use Firefox or Chrome as a web browser? If Windows is still installed, I know Firefox and Chrome on Linux will import your favorites from Windows Explorer. I don't know if they will do that from Edge or not. If they won't, and you still have Windows installed, boot back to windows and install Chrome or Firefox, import the favorites to them from Edge, and then boot back to Linux and do the same.

Stan, welcome to Linux.org! A question or two. Are you dual booting with your installation, in other words do you still have Windows 10 on this computer? If so, when you used Windows 10, did you use Firefox or Chrome as a web browser? If Windows is still installed, I know Firefox and Chrome on Linux will import your favorites from Windows Explorer. I don't know if they will do that from Edge or not. If they won't, and you still have Windows installed, boot back to windows and install Chrome or Firefox, import the favorites to them from Edge, and then boot back to Linux and do the same.
Yes - using dualboot.Thanks for the suggestion. Stan

Latest posts