Linux on Mac Pro 4,1

JackJames

Reaction score
Credits
Hello All,

(Sorry for my english, i'm french)

I've got a Mac Pro 4,1 (2,66 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 6 Go 1066 MHz DDR3 ECC with a HDD not a SSD) currently in Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5 and as it's now really hard to use the web browser (safari and even firefox)
I am thinking of a dual boot with linux to have maybe better support (for the web browser, as i cant see captcha for example) and better performance
(i'm using the mac for JDownloader, a web browser and a connection with a server on my network, nothing more)

What are you all thinking ? Will it be easy on install linux on it ? And which linux for better performance and support ?
Thanks for the help

With the intel processor, you should be able to successfully run a dual boot system ,
""which Linux for better"" the answer to that is the one that you like the look and feel of, with an array of different desktops available from mac lookalike [but they won't be exactly the same] to win XP lookalike and many in-between you should find one you like, just try to stay with the more popular distributions as they are usually the easiest to install and use for the beginner.

bwiz

With the intel processor, you should be able to successfully run a dual boot system ,
""which Linux for better"" the answer to that is the one that you like the look and feel of, with an array of different desktops available from mac lookalike [but they won't be exactly the same] to win XP lookalike and many in-between you should find one you like, just try to stay with the more popular distributions as they are usually the easiest to install and use for the beginner.

bwiz
Thanks for the answer, honestly i don't care of what it looks like. I can use Windows/Max/Linux without any issue, i can adapt to any OS. Here i'm only looking for the best performance and support, so if you have any advice :)

Let's start with support, unless you pay for an enterprise Linux the only support you will get is from people like us, we are not professional trained support engineers just enthusiast with differing specialities, [the same goes with distribution community sites, ] your choice is between, minimal /light distributions [can be a pig to install and get working] but reasonably fast, medium weight distributions [easier to install normally run at a good speed], and the Heavey weight all singing/dancing distributions [they are excellent for the beginner as everything you need is already there, but although usually faster than Mac & Windows are a little slower than the medium weight ones],
We don't like to recommend any one distribution as it is part of being Linux to have your own choice [unless you are looking for something off the main stream], what we do recommend is you download several distributions, run them live from the pen-drive to see which you like the best.

Let's start with support, unless you pay for an enterprise Linux the only support you will get is from people like us, we are not professional trained support engineers just enthusiast with differing specialities, [the same goes with distribution community sites, ] your choice is between, minimal /light distributions [can be a pig to install and get working] but reasonably fast, medium weight distributions [easier to install normally run at a good speed], and the Heavey weight all singing/dancing distributions [they are excellent for the beginner as everything you need is already there, but although usually faster than Mac & Windows are a little slower than the medium weight ones],
We don't like to recommend any one distribution as it is part of being Linux to have your own choice [unless you are looking for something off the main stream], what we do recommend is you download several distributions, run them live from the pen-drive to see which you like the best.
Ok thanks :) By support i meant that it will still work with the last "feature" we can have on the web browser, like the captcha and things like that (it's there where i have issue right now)) And i won't have any issue with my specification ? Even for the Heavey one ?

Members online