Linux on Android

Every example I have seen requires you to root the phone.
Also, each phone has different hardware, different video cards, different wifi chips, different bluetooth chips,
and it's difficult sometimes to get the version for your specific phone.

I've thought about this too. I have a lot of old phones laying around. Plenty to experiment with before trying to do this with one of my newer phones.

There's guy on YouTube who makes De-Google phones. I'm not if he has DIY videos or not.

There's guy on YouTube who makes De-Google phones. I'm not if he has DIY videos or not.
He doesn't do DIY vids. He SELLS de-googled phones. It wouldn't be a wise business decision for him to tell someone else how to do it. That said, his prices are reasonable as far as phones go. But don't expect to get this year's model.

After looking at this, this appears to be running a Linux VM under android. It's pretty buggy.
I couldn't get some distro's to load at all. I don't know if the OP meant running Linux in a VM, or
running it natively on the phone.

It is possibly to run native Linux on android phones.

At least for those specific phones.

He SELLS de-googled phones.
Yeah, I knew he sold them.

It wouldn't be a wise business decision for him to tell someone else how to do it.

I wondered about. I'm sure DIY videos are on YouTube.
But..
  1. You would to figure out the search terms to find them. The title and tags won't find videos with a title advertising exactly what the subject is.
  2. You would have to trust the creator.
  3. Hope they haven't been removed.

That said, his prices are reasonable as far as phones go. But don't expect to get this year's model.

I haven't bought one because I'm not willing to spend money for something I think I could probably figure on his own. I've changed a lot of settings in Android, disabled apps, changed some thing in Developer Options. I don't know enough about Android to do the things I'd really like to do. I've heard of Linux based phones and seen some apps for them on the Play Store. It seems to me that an app from the Play Store would defeat the purpose.

I assumed he must be one of those people who buys old phones.

I haven't bought one because I'm not willing to spend money for something I think I could probably figure on his own.
It's easy enough to install de-Googled(LineageOS) on your phone, they have instructions on their website for supported devices.
I ran it for a while but eventually ran into issues that certain apps would not work properly, even even the alternative frameworks provided by LineageOS. So I went back to a normal Android phone.

It's easy enough to install de-Googled(LineageOS) on your phone, they have instructions on their website for supported devices.
I ran it for a while but eventually ran into issues that certain apps would not work properly, even even the alternative frameworks provided by LineageOS. So I went back to a normal Android phone.

Already checked, is not compatible with my device. There are so much brands and models of smartphone, take a look to the follow link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Android_smartphones

You can install Ubuntu Touch on your Android device.

You'll have to unlock the bootloader first before running the installer.
I haven't found a clear way to unlock the bootloader yet but I'll eventually figure it out.

How to install Ubuntu Touch OS​

I've seen this issue on the internet many times, another reason I haven't tried it yet.

You can install Ubuntu Touch on your Android device.

You'll have to unlock the bootloader first before running the installer.
I haven't found a clear way to unlock the bootloader yet but I'll eventually figure it out.

How to install Ubuntu Touch OS​

Very interesting, but my device is not supported so far.

Last edited:

Members online