Linux novice - old-windows-hard-drive SSD works fine as USB memory on another Windows PC, but ask passcode for Linux PC?

miserabeza

Reaction score
Credits
Hello,
first post ever here. Bought a Linux PC for Christmas, and really trying to make it work (already installed and configured some programs which I am really proud)

Issue at hand is with working a USB Memory Stick that is actually an old-hard-drive-windows SSD (it used to be the hard drive of an old computer). This is the SSD adapter/enclosure I bought: https://www.amazon.com/SSK-Aluminum-Enclosure-Adapter-External/dp/B07MNFH1PX
I never reformatted it...I just opened my old computer, removed the SSD, and put it into this enclosure. It has been working perfect as a USB Memory Stick when I connect it into any other Windows computer(s).

*However*, when I have tried to use this USB Memory Stick into my Linux PC, it asks me for a 'passcode'. I have tried all the Windows User's passwords that I could remember using back when this Memory Stick SSD used to be the hard drive of my defuncted laptop, to no avail. Further, and weirdly enough, when I go to BIOs on Linux PC with this USB Memory Stick connected to the PC, it gives me the option to boot to Windows besides Linux (?)

Any suggestions / comments are highly welcome please in how I can make work this USB Memory Stick as a memory stick into my Linux PC

G'day miserabeza, Welcome to Linux.org

I would format it. On your Linux installation, Right click on the 'usb' and select 'format'
Choose ext4 file system....it will likely ask for your password...and tell you that all info on that usb/drive will be wiped.

I never reformatted it..
Welcome to the forums
If it still contains the old Windows OS, this could be causing the problem, re-formatting may cure the problem, BUT if you are going to use it on both Linux & windows for storing files, then you will need to format it as XFats
Which Linux distribution are you using?

Hello @miserabeza,
Welcome to the Linux.org Forum. Enjoy!
I'm sure you'll find the answer here.

Welcome, @miserabeza !
FYI on file systems and SSDs -- Best File Systems for Keeping SSD Healthy

EDIT: from https://www.addictivetips.com/ubuntu-linux-tips/best-ssd-friendly-file-systems-on-linux/

Code:
Disadvantages of using Ext4

Ext4 is built on older technology, so it lacks modern file-system features found in systems like E2FS and BtrFS.
    Ext4 has journaling on by default, and new users likely won’t know how to disable it to save read/writes on their SSDs.

Upshot -- newbie may need a tutorial on TRIM use with ext4.

Last edited:

Members online