Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon (I think)_ Installation problems and navigation

I'm at that point when I say to myself, "God help me if I'm forgetting something."

The Lenovo I was using won't boot up. At all. Not to the USB drive or Windows. Windows couldn't repair itself, refresh itself. I tried "System Restore". It was stuck 12% for an hour and a 1/2. I had hoped to download and burn Linux 21.3 while I cleaned up and fixed my tower.

Instead, I'll have to boot into Windows when I have tower put back together, then download Linux, wipe and reformat the USB drive, burn Linux.

Then, turn off and unplug the tower, switch cables to the other HDD. Turn it back on. Start to panic because it won't come on, then realize I forgot to plug it back in...

Attachments

• IMG_20240128_211947228_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240128_211947228_HDR.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 317

We have a few Lenovo users here, if you want to start a thread here

https://www.linux.org/forums/linux-hardware.150/

Just be sure to mention Lenovo and the model number in the title.

Other than that, or while you're waiting on Lenovo answers, perhaps getting the ASUS working is more viable.

Your call.

Chris

So, the Asus will not cooperate?/......in what way?

I can understand the OP being upset. Everyone else around here seems to be enjoying their Linux experience.

@Sherri is a Cat when you are online next.

A LUG is a Linux User Group. In Texas, there appear to be at least two active currently, and they may know of more.

https://netlug.org/

https://cctxlug.org/

Maybe contacting them, they may have an idea or three.

Wiz

I didn't quite break down in tears, just intense frustration. No, the ASUS isn't cooperating.
I have a good idea what the problem is, but I'm not positive. I'm putting it aside for now though.

Earlier, this Lenovo wouldn't boot into anything. Windows wouldn't restore etc, etc.

I don't know if what I if the thing I did is what made the difference or not, but I got here. If I can get this installed tonight, I want to do it right now.

This is what I did:
  • Nearly had a nervous break down out of total frustration
    • I'm still a tad sensitive. I got screwed over in the divorce last year, not just financially.
  • Began to feel sorry for myself
  • Got pissed off instead
  • Decided to try to boot into Linux one more time on this Lenovo
  • Instead of trying to boot into Live Linux, I picked the OEM install, super user.
  • I got a message the Linux Mint Virginia is already installed on this system.
  • I had 3, maybe it was four choices?
    • Erase and reinstall Linux
    • Install Linux alongside Linux (not Windows, Linux)
    • Erase everything on the HDD and install Linux
  • I chose Erase and reinstall Linux.
  • I got a message that there is not enough room on the HDD.
  • After that the Live Linux desktop loaded. I'm pretty sure this is Live. My browser history is gone. Ubolock Origin extension is gone.
  • I'm thinking that I should go with the last one, Erase everything on the entire HDD and install Linux. That seems like my best option right now.

I'm thinking that I should go with the last one, Erase everything on the entire HDD and install Linux. That seems like my best option right now.
That would be perfect

I'm thinking that I should go with the last one, Erase everything on the entire HDD and install Linux. That seems like my best option right now.

Yep,,, and bloody Brian beat me to it. Just kidding, he and I are Besties.

I can understand the OP being upset. Everyone else around here seems to be enjoying their Linux experience.

@Sherri is a Cat when you are online next.

A LUG is a Linux User Group. In Texas, there appear to be at least two active currently, and they may know of more.

https://netlug.org/

https://cctxlug.org/

Maybe contacting them, they may have an idea or three.

Wiz
As far as the ASUS it could be one of several things. Windows is corrupted, I didn't fix my graphics card, the integrated video card is damaged, or the mother board is damaged... I'm not sure. For now I'm putting it aside. I'll deal with it later when I'm not so frustrated.

I feel like I'm watching a horror movie, mindlessly chomping on chocolate cookies... Everything seems fine and then Freddy Krueger jumps out!

Attachments

• IMG_20240129_003248185_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240129_003248185_HDR.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 542
Language packs are essential if you want to learn Afghan.

Am I dreaming?

Attachments

• IMG_20240129_005108354.jpg
    IMG_20240129_005108354.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 427
Pinch yourself. If it hurts, you're not dreaming.

Either before you sign off or when next you are on deck. go to Terminal (Ctrl-Alt-t) or it's also in your menu

and type in and enter

Code:
sudo enable ufw

That will launch your software firewall which will be on every time you boot/reboot

I can't believe it. The whole thing. It went through the installation process, told me to restart. Without any interference or help from me, it booted into Linux.

Why is this funny to me! I feel strangely tired

Sorry

sudo ufw enable

Pinch yourself. If it hurts, you're not dreaming.

Either before you sign off or when next you are on deck. go to Terminal (Ctrl-Alt-t) or it's also in your menu

and type in and enter

Code:
sudo enable ufw

That will launch your software firewall which will be on every time you boot/reboot
It asks me for a password for OEM. I enter the one I used in the install.

sudo: enable: command not found

Members online