Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon (I think)_ Installation problems and navigation

Sherri is a Cat

Reaction score
Credits
I assume I'm trying to install 21.2 The the release notes link takes me to a page for Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon.

Linux Mint 21.2

I'm being given errors at every stage of install that is addressed in the release notes for 21.2. In a Windows OS, I know how to find out what version I have downloaded. I haven't been able to figure it out in Linux. I also noticed that there is a newer release, 21.3.

My questions may sound somewhat ridiculous. But I'm not making any assumptions. I'd rather ask a silly question and do things correctly rather than run round and round searching the internet for a solution. My time is limited. I'm anxious to get this installed. I'm ready to install Linux on the entire drive.

• How can I tell which version I downloaded?
    • Right clicking to look at "Properties" doesn't tell me.
    • I can't seem to figure out how to look at the USB drive to find the version
  • Can I download a different version to this live Linux desktop and then install it without burning it to the USB stick?
Thank you!

I am assuming you are running Linux "Live"....in other words it is running from the usb stick etc

menu button....bottom left hand corner

click on it

type in 'welcome screen' ...(it will auto fill as you type)

click on that....ot just hit enter

The Welcome Screen will open.....in the bottom right hand corner of that screen it will say something like the below screenshot

1705969495214.png

I am assuming you are running Linux "Live"....in other words it is running from the usb stick etc

menu button....bottom left hand corner

click on it

type in 'welcome screen' ...(it will auto fill as you type)

click on that....ot just hit enter

The Welcome Screen will open.....in the bottom right hand corner of that screen it will say something like the below screenshot

View attachment 17916
It's that easy! Awesome!

And yes, Linux "Live" I meant to put that in my opening thread.

• Can I download a different version to this live Linux desktop and then install it without burning it to the USB stick?
Thank you!
Download the latest 21.3. The '.3' versions mean more bugs fixed from the previous version.
As for the other thing: I don't think that Mint has a net install like Arch, for instance. It install files locally from the ISO (the USB stick), so you'll have to put it on a media anyway. But Ventoy could save you the trouble with "burning" anything on the usb stick.

I'm not sure if I should put this question in a separate post???

I think I left out some critical information in the opening post. I also didn't think to ask a critical in response to Condoblokes reply regarding updating to 21.3.

I had not finished installing Linux to the hard disk drive because I was getting so many errors.
I was and am still running Linux "Live". I'm wondering if I should have followed through with the installation before downloading and applying updates.
  • I have not figured out how to reboot the system. Windows has an option to restart the system. I don't see that option in Linux. Should I just turn it off and back on again?
  • I have not figured out how to take a screen shot otherwise I would post on instead of copying a pasting messages in the body of this post.

• I downloaded updates for Mint 21.3
  • I assumed the updates would be applied to the ISO image on my USB drive.
  • I got a message that there is not enough space available on the USB drive that Linux is on.
    • The USB drive has 64 GB
    • The original Linux ISO, 21.2 is only 3 GB
    • 55 GB , writable are still available.
    • The update is only 704 mg
  • I got this error after updates were applied.
Changes applied
Not all changes and updates succeeded

E: /tmp/apt-dpkg-install-0aLWz4/31-libreoffice-help-it_1%3a7.3.7-0ubuntu0.22.04.4_all.deb: unable to make backup link of './usr/share/libreoffice/help/media/screenshots/cui/ui/optsecuritypage/it/OptSecurityPage.png' before installing new version: No space left on device
E: /tmp/apt-dpkg-install-0aLWz4/32-libreoffice-help-fr_1%3a7.3.7-0ubuntu0.22.04.4_all.deb: cannot copy extracted data for './usr/share/libreoffice/help/fr/bookmarks.js' to '/usr/share/libreoffice/help/fr/bookmarks.js.dpkg-new': failed to write (No space left on device)
E: /tmp/apt-dpkg-install-0aLWz4/33-libreoffice-help-es_1%3a7.3.7-0ubuntu0.22.04.4_all.deb: cannot copy extracted data for './usr/share/libreoffice/help/es/bookmarks.js' to '/usr/share/libreoffice/help/es/bookmarks.js.dpkg-new': failed to write (No space left on device)

I just saw Rado84's post. I'm still unfamiliar with a lot of the Linux lingo. I'm not sure how should proceed from here!

I'm wondering if I should have followed through with the installation...

Yes, the live environment is only running in your RAM (memory) and no changes can be saved that will persist the next time you boot from it.

It's like writing a music DVD - you may be only burning 500 MB of music, but once you sign off on the session, the whole space of 4.7 GB is accounted for. So it does not matter if your USB stick is 4 GB or 64 GB, it is all allocated.

The only other option with that is to install it with Persistence, but that will not give you the performance and is a story for another day.

You can still use the 21.2 Mint if you wish, there will just be more downloads after install to get it up to scratch. Later you can upgrade if you wish - all of the 21 series are supported to the same end date, which would be about June 2027.

Brian @Condobloke likely has an article he can share that will help you with the installation.

Wiz

Stop downloading updates etc etc

The best way forward is always....simple

briefly ...is the live version running ok?.....

If you were to reboot the live now.....it will reboot to what it was initially.

In other words you will ;lose' any updates you have installed etc etc

That is ok....that is expected/known behaviour for a live system

Tell me if any errors are popping up on screen of the live.....anything that appers odd or if you click on menu and it doesnt work ?....

If it seems to be working ok....

On the desktop, there is an icon which is named :Install Linux Mint 21.2

Double click on that, and follow the prompts

When it asks if you wish to install multi media stuff.....click on ok/Yes

when you see the below screen.....

installer-install.png

.....click on the TOP choice. This will erase windows format the drive and install Linux Mint 21.2
WARNING::...I
t WILL ERASE EVERYTHING ON THAT DRIVE

After you have done that....you can basically sit back....drink coffee/tea/whatever.....and get bored watching

It may take 10 - 20 minutes...depending on cpu etc ect etc

When it finishes, it will say onscreen, to Reboot....do that......a few seconds into that reboot, it will ask you to take the usb stcik OUT and then press enter. Do that and just wait for it reboot normally

Try not to get bogged down reading release notes etc etc etc

You can read them after......I DO recommend reading them....but while you are on a roll, you may as well bite the bullet and get it done

Thanks Brian, gave me time to buy a coffee before beer o'clock ;)

Try not to get bogged down reading release notes etc etc etc

You can read them after......I DO recommend reading them....but while you are on a roll, you may as well bite the bullet and get it done
Yes, I'm on a roll! I don't want to stop now. That's why I'm still here!

It seems to me the easiest thing is to finish installing 21.2 and then get the updates.

Now... Another question.

I've already downloaded and installed the updates. But but updates can't be installed to the ISO. So......should I sign out and sign in again before following through with installing 21.2, or can I install it now even though the updates have been "installed"?

NOTE

If I were to download and burn a Linux 21.3 ISO, I would have to do it in Windows. I'm really not liking the idea of visiting with the Giant. I have a long way to go before the PTSD begins to subside. I don't know if my mind can handle that. It might be enough to push me over the edge of sanity. If that happens, I might not be back here again.

And one other thing... In Windows you can just turn off the machine instead of rebooting to apply updates. Is the same in Linux?
o_O

or can I install it now even though the updates have been "installed"?
Yes. just do it

You can upgrade to 21.3, AFTER you have installed 21.2 and installed all the updates again.

Whatever updates you downloaded and installed on the live version will NOT carry through

Updating to 21.3 will be simplicity itself. More on that later

All right then! I'm going to complete the installation of 21.2. I'll be back after that.

Just a heads up - the installer will detect Windows if it is there, and offer the opportunity to install Linux alongside it or to erase the disk and install just Linux.

If you choose the latter, be sure you have a way to communicate with us if you need help if things don't go to plan.

Wiz

See you on the other side.

Just a heads up - the installer will detect Windows if it is there, and offer the opportunity to install Linux alongside it or to erase the disk and install just Linux.

If you choose the latter, be sure you have a way to communicate with us if you need help if things don't go to plan.

Wiz
I'm chomping at the bit to be completely done with Windows, but until I get the ASUS working (hopefully tomorrow night) I think I should keep it. Tonight is about not just getting my feet wet, but diving in head first. Especially now that I can see there's nothing to be intimidated by other than my own fear!

If my ASUS was in good working order, I would install Linux over Windows on this Lenovo. I have a 2nd hard disk in the tower that I plan to install Linux on.

"Use LVM with the new Linux Mint installation"

Or create a new partition.

I'm not familiar with the prompts in Linux to create a new partition.

Members online

Latest posts