Linux help in the Ottawa area?

sjs

Reaction score
Credits
Hi, my employer is in need of help with some aspects of setting up and customizing Zorin on his new machine. Located in Wakefield and it is a paid job of course. Hoping to schedule something for the week of March 6th but am flexible.

I know where Ottawa is - in Canada.

I know where Wakefield is, in a couple of states.

Also, your post isn't likely to get much traction. Those of us who regularly offer assistance (those most qualified) are kinda sedentary. If it were in Wakefield, MA, for example, you wouldn't even want to pay my 4 hours (each way) of travel.

I don't see anyone risking their time for a maybe paycheck. (We have no history for you as a poster, so it's not like we'll extend blind trust.)

Hi, my employer is in need of help with some aspects of setting up and customizing Zorin on his new machine. Located in Wakefield and it is a paid job of course. Hoping to schedule something for the week of March 6th but am flexible.
Welcome to the forum though

Reactions: sjs
I know where Ottawa is - in Canada.

I know where Wakefield is, in a couple of states.

Also, your post isn't likely to get much traction. Those of us who regularly offer assistance (those most qualified) are kinda sedentary. If it were in Wakefield, MA, for example, you wouldn't even want to pay my 4 hours (each way) of travel.

I don't see anyone risking their time for a maybe paycheck. (We have no history for you as a poster, so it's not like we'll extend blind trust.)
Ok, clearly I was directed to the wrong forum. It was an honest request, but apparently laughable. Thank you for the Geography lesson though. Next time don't forget Wakefield England- population 109,766...

Today is Sunday and you posted only five hours ago. Give people a chance to notice your thread, but I would look into other sources as well.

If someone here is near Ottawa and they are interested, they will contact you with a personal message to ask for more details about your employers. They will want to qualify your employer, and you will want to qualify them.

I live far away, but a quick web search turned up the Ottawa Linux Users Group. I know nothing about them, but they have a web page titled "Jobs and Seekers". Did you try them?

Home Page:
https://wiki.linux-ottawa.org/doku.php?id=start
Jobs and Seekers:
https://wiki.linux-ottawa.org/doku.php?id=jobspage

P.S. Wakefield is in Quebec, right? Does the job require French?

Thanks, I will check that out. Wakefield is in Quebec but French is not required.

Next time don't forget Wakefield England- population 109,766...

I am a long ways from that!

Anyhow, as others suggest, someone might help - and there are tons of online resources that'll get you started. Installing Linux isn't a terribly difficult task.

@sjs welcome to linux.org :)

Something I tell newcomers who are confused as to our purpose

Just in case of any misapprehension on your part, we are not an official arm nor organ of Linux, just scored the dot org name - we are manned by volunteer staff who share a love of Linux and have varying skills in various departments.

Certainly not a laughable matter for you, nor for us.

I would advocate performing a Google search with keywords

professional linux help canada

and see if it bears any fruit.

Of course your employer is welcome to join us himself/herself and ask questions directly related to Zorin, but we do not have the resources to extend to one-on-one mentoring, help provided may be from people with experience from many timezones around the world.

Hope this helps.

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Reactions: sjs
One more thought - the business model employed by the Zorin brothers includes an option for a paid for version (a rarity in Linux).

If your employer purchased his Zorin, rather than just downloading and installing the free version, then he should be entitled to support from Zorin themselves.

Good luck.

Wizard

from ChatGPT

professional linux help canada

If you're looking for professional Linux help in Canada, there are several options available:
  1. Red Hat: Red Hat is a leading provider of open source solutions, including Linux. They offer professional support services for their products, including technical support, training, and consulting. They have offices and partners in Canada.
  2. Canonical: Canonical is the company behind Ubuntu, one of the most popular Linux distributions. They offer professional support services for their products, including technical support, training, and consulting. They have partners in Canada.
  3. IBM: IBM offers a range of open source solutions, including Linux, and they offer professional support services for their products, including technical support, training, and consulting. They have offices and partners in Canada.
  4. SUSE: SUSE is a leading provider of enterprise-grade Linux solutions, and they offer professional support services for their products, including technical support, training, and consulting. They have offices and partners in Canada.
  5. Linux Professional Institute: The Linux Professional Institute is a non-profit organization that offers certifications and training for Linux professionals. They have partners and members in Canada.
These are just a few examples of companies and organizations that offer professional Linux help in Canada. You may also want to search for local Linux user groups or forums where you can connect with other Linux users and get help and advice.

Last edited:
One more thought - the business model employed by the Zorin brothers includes an option for a paid for version (a rarity in Linux).

If your employer purchased his Zorin, rather than just downloading and installing the free version, then he should be entitled to support from Zorin themselves.

Good luck.

Wizard
It is the free version and already installed but good to know. Thanks!

Members online

Latest posts