Like the previous article, this one tells you how to prevent application updates - but with yum-versionlock.

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
I figured I'd do the article for yum-versionlock while I was thinking about it, so I wrote this article probably on the same day the other one was published. I write them early and schedule them to get published every other day at 13:30 my time.

As always, feedback is pretty awesome.

On Rhel8 the package name is different than Rhel7.
Rhel7:
Code:
yum-plugin-versionlock.noarch : Yum plugin to lock specified packages from being
Rhel8:
Code:
python3-dnf-plugin-versionlock.noarch : Version Lock Plugin for DNF
I never use it so haven't tested it, when I want to block a package from updating I add an exclude in /etc/yum.conf or /etc/dnf.conf which doesn't happen very often.

Last edited:
Hmm... You coulda left that as a comment on the site, you know!

I'll transfer it as a comment if you don't. I think I can remember to do that.

And, thanks! Definitely thanks!

I tested on a couple of RPM-based VMs and called it good. I've never needed to use it. (I have used the apt version, however.)

Hmm... You coulda left that as a comment on the site, you know!

I'll transfer it as a comment if you don't. I think I can remember to do that.

And, thanks! Definitely thanks!

I tested on a couple of RPM-based VMs and called it good. I've never needed to use it. (I have used the apt version, however.)
I prefer to comment to your posts here because it adds to my credit score here ;) but you can transfer it if it helps you.

LOL I don't actually pay attention to the score and you can literally cut/paste it. Sheesh! I don't have high standards!

The first time you commented, I'd have to approve it. After that, you're home free - so long as you remember to use the same username and email address. You don't have to be truthful with either, but it does have a handy feature of subscribing you to replies (which is optional, because I care about things like that).

It's okay... I've got it. I'll go paste it there.

LOL okay, I will do it. Thought I needed an account but it seems not.

Oh, no... No account is needed for commenting. Though you could sign up for an account if you really wanted one. An account doesn't do a whole lot for you, except more easily remember your info. I'd have to change your account permissions if you wanted to do anything.

Speaking of which... If you *do* ever wanna help, you now know the first step!

Oh, no... No account is needed for commenting. Though you could sign up for an account if you really wanted one. An account doesn't do a whole lot for you, except more easily remember your info. I'd have to change your account permissions if you wanted to do anything.

Speaking of which... If you *do* ever wanna help, you now know the first step!
I copy/pasted it over but saw you already did but the one I did is awaiting approval for moderation, you you delete that one I posted.

What kind of help are we talking about?

I deleted mine and approved yours. That way you can just comment now and don't need approval.

Help? You can write an article or ten if you're bored. Other than that, I've got everything else covered. I have it set to babysit itself. It backs up to three remote locations daily, it updates itself automatically, it scans itself for malware/security threats automatically, and stuff like that. I even have it configured so that I've not once had a spam comment that I had to delete or not approve.

I've invested hundreds of hours by now, but it's pretty stable, fast, secure, and robust.

I'm bound to run out of ideas for articles eventually. So, if you're ever bored...

Can you change the name I entered, I used fdmbits instead of f33dm3bits?

Huh... Yes. Yes I can. And, it's done.

I don't know how that will impact the system. I may need to manually approve your next comment and then you'll be good to go again. I may not need to, if you use the same username and email in the comments.

I have never needed to edit a comment's username. This is a first. It turns out that I can indeed do so. Now I know!

And, yeah, you've got a ton of points here. You've got more than I do, so I'm pretty sure that means you have more credits/points than anyone else on linux.org. Congrats!

Latest posts