LibreSpeed, a free and opensource bandwidth test.

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
I keep forgetting to share this and I'm going through tabs in hopes of closing a few.

Mine's pretty slow:

results

results

I always use speedtest-cli
Code:
speedtest-cli --simple 
Ping: 16.793 ms
Download: 500.84 Mbit/s
Upload: 41.52 Mbit/s

Free and Open Source Speedtest. No Flash, No Java, No Websocket, No Bullshit.
Well, except the "No Java" part. I did have to allow permission with NoScript or it wouldn't run. ;)

Nice site, @KGIII... thanks! I'm also partial to SpeedOfMe for testing. It has servers closer to me.

Well, except the "No Java" part. I did have to allow permission with NoScript or it wouldn't run.

Hmm... Did it show you what scripting needed to be permitted? That seems a bizarre thing for them to just make up.

Hmm... Did it show you what scripting needed to be permitted? That seems a bizarre thing for them to just make up.
Allowing the top level domain, librespeed.org, was required. After that, there were at least 15 more domains that wanted to run scripts from their site, but they were not needed for the test.

NoScript doesn't identify scripts individually, so I don't know how many are running in librespeed.org.

Maybe they are distinguishing "Java" from "Javascript" or something?

Last edited:
Maybe they are distinguishing "Java" from "Javascript" or something?

Well, the two are definitely different organisms. They share little, other than the Java in the name.

So, maybe?

I doubt I'll have time today to look into it.

Well, the two are definitely different organisms. They share little, other than the Java in the name.

So, maybe?

I doubt I'll have time today to look into it.
Maybe so. But it's not unheard of for people or companies to make false claims either.

NoScript claims to block both Java and Javascript. And Flash, and some other nasties. They blocked something anyway. Librespeed would just sit there "Selecting a server" until I allowed their domain.

Maybe so. But it's not unheard of for people or companies to make false claims either.

Yeah, definitely. That seems a strange hill for them to die on. I'm usually pretty good at web technologies, so I'll take a gander when I get a minute.

Alas, I'm pretty occupied today. I'm getting hammered with messages across multiple sites. Man, I still have to deal with today's article, as well. I was gonna go grocery shopping this afternoon. That's gonna have to wait.

Why I have those round bars around the text and you guys have not?
After you run the test, the site gives you a URL below your results. That URL is copied and pasted here as an image, and it doesn't show the circles. But we saw them too when we ran the test. You must have done a screen capture instead, right?

Why I have those round bars around the text and you guys have not?

If I had to guess, you took a screenshot while myself and others used the provided URL to link to an image.

That's my guess.

After you run the test, the site gives you a URL below your results. That URL is copied and pasted here as an image, and it doesn't show the circles. But we saw them too when we ran the test. You must have done a screen capture instead, right?

LOL Great minds think alike!

brian@brian-desktop:~$ speedtest-cli --simple
Ping: 27.738 ms
Download: 93.58 Mbit/s
Upload: 16.86 Mbit/s

I'll just wander off somewhere and cry.

Talk about running in treacle !

Members online

Latest posts