Laptop doesn't wake up from sleep

tinfoil-hat

Reaction score
Credits
Hi, when I close my Laptop lid, it won't wake up from sleep. I don't know what information you need besides the distro is Linuxmint 21.1 Cinnamon

Normally, you would enter your password, (but I haven't used laptops for some time now), so it may be some configuration needs adjustment, usually under 'power management'.

Normally, you would enter your password, (but I haven't used laptops for some time now), so it may be some configuration needs adjustment, usually under 'power management'.
it's set to go to sleep when lid is closed, and I'd like it to do that, but I can't "wake" the laptop up again, when pressing the powerbutton

How much physical memory do you have in your system and how much swap memory do you have configured?

Sleep Mode is also enabled in BIOS

I have 16GB physical RAM and 1GB Swap
I remember reading somewhere for in order to for sleep/suspend/hibernation to work correctly you need your swap size to be equal to the amount of physical ram.
If you use hibernation, then you must add swap because the content of the RAM will be written to the swap partition. This also means that the swap size should be at least the size of RAM.

Last edited:
I remember reading somewhere for in order to for sleep/suspend/hibernation to work correctly you need your swap size to be equal to the amount of physical ram.
hmm. I already have assigned all the available space of the disk and also configured encryption. It was Linuxmint standard assignment. if it was what you have suggested, all linuxmint users should have this error, or am I wrong?

hmm. I already have assigned all the available space of the disk and also configured encryption. It was Linuxmint standard assignment. if it was what you have suggested, all linuxmint users should have this error, or am I wrong?
Most likely since I've seen it mentioned in more than one place, you don't also have to use the default partition setup. You can try setting up zram on Linux Mint that would also function as swap with you needing extra disk space.

I'll have a look later today, I will report back later
Make sure you the configure 16G zram and you may find the following article interesting to read where it explains a bit more about zram.

i put mint 20 xfce on an older laptop for a friend. that system wouldn't wake from suspend if i had it set to suspend when closing the lid. if i chose to suspend from the menu, it would wake up. i know different desktop environments (like cinnamon and xfce) may handle suspend in different ways, but that may be worth a try.

i have only read lately that swap needs to equal ram possibly for hibernation. on most of my 8 or 16 gb ram systems (all xfce) i only have 4 gb of swap set up and they suspend and wake up as expected. during regular use with swappiness turned down to 15 they rarely use even 1 gb of swap. though i don't do much ram intensive work so you might want to adjust if you do.

if you want to try adding more swap, the itsfoss article linked above mentions swapfiles.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts