Solved kubuntu can't update dell xps laptop firmware

Solved issue

rdfrkian

Reaction score
Credits
The kubuntu 22.04 Discover software on Plasma desktop shows a Dell firmware update, but it won't update when I tell it to update all.
I try booting from a cold machine thinking it will run on boot up, but no joy.

Any ideas?

Red

The above, supplied by @atanere looks to be pretty much what I followed in updating my Dell Inspiron 5770 (2019) laptop a few months ago.

Can't remember what prompted me to do so, but it was not through an update notified by a distro Update Manager.

The update, however, did remedy a couple of problems I had been experiencing.

Cheers

Wizard

I echo those responses, Manufacturers firmware updates are not normally available in distribution repositories, and are usual installed pre-boot

Red saws he saw it in his Discover software window, and I'm not the one to argue that possibility, could be new?

In my Kubuntu, I had to actively search Discover for firmware, and got quite a number, I do not know if there is an answer there.

SKTeyST.png

Red saws he saw it in his Discover software window, and I'm not the one to argue that possibility, could be new?

In my Kubuntu, I had to actively search Discover for firmware, and got quite a number, I do not know if there is an answer there.

SKTeyST.png
it wasn't any of those. But now it's disappeared. I'm not sure why.
For the others, I've done firmware updates via usb stick a couple times with no problems, I was just thinking this was something new.
But like I said it's gone now. I don't know if it updated or what.
Oh well, I'll mark as solved.

it wasn't any of those. But now it's disappeared. I'm not sure why.
For the others, I've done firmware updates via usb stick a couple times with no problems, I was just thinking this was something new.
But like I said it's gone now. I don't know if it updated or what.
The updates shown in Discover Software are os updates, there are packages with "firmware" in the name that need updating, so if you don't see them anymore those packages have been updated. So what you were asking might have gotten confusing responses, what @atanere advised was how to update your bios/uefi firmware which is done by copying the most recent bios/ueffi firmware to a usb drive and then using that to flash you bios/uefi.

Last edited:

Latest posts