keyboard and mouse not working in linux

AV@03

Reaction score
Credits
Hi guys, Iam a new user to linux, I installed ubuntu linux in my laptop that has recently purchased. It is an AMD Ryzen 3 7000 series laptop from lenovo. In that one after the grub bootloader the keyboard and mouse in my laptop is not working and it shows some error. Kindly give me solution for this errors and problems in my laptop.

@AV@03 welcome to linux.org.

and it shows some error.

You may need to give us a description of the error.

If the error is in text, copy the text and post it here.

If it is a popup window, take a clear picture with your phone and post that here.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Here iam attached the photo of error message that shows while booting of ubuntu 20.04 LTS.
1709438112348.jpg

Attachments

• 1709438112348.jpg
    1709438112348.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 294
Is this enough for you to solve the problem or tell me some ways to find out the error. Thank you.

is this a dual boot with windows?

Does the install of Ubuntu use the entire drive ?....

How did you burn the usb stick with the ubunto .iso ?.....what app did you use ?

Is this enough for you to solve the problem or tell me some ways to find out the error. Thank you.
Here are some observations on the problem, with the information available so far:

The error 19 means "No such device". The kernel has failed to see the usb hub.
The hub is likely an internal usb hub rather than the usb port on the machine.

The question arises as to how recent is the laptop?

If it's very recent, the firmware may not yet be available for linux. The linux developers take some time to develop what is needed if the manufacturers don't supply the relevant information. That it's a firmware issue is a speculation.

It appears from similar problems online that the 7000 series Ryzen needs to be using a 6 series kernel. That information is not yet available here.

Since the problem with the keyboard and mouse occur:
after the grub bootloader
then it's possible to interrupt the booting, see if the keyboard works, which hopefully it does, then boot to text mode and try to work some repairs.

Specifically, if the machine can be booted to text mode to runlevel 3, with the keyboard working, then hopefully the system would bring up the network so that the user can download the latest firmware and most recent kernel available from the command line to see if that all resolves the matter.

This may seem like a bit much for a "new user" to do, but if you think you can follow instructions very closely, it may be successful. It may not of course, depending on what the underlying problem is.

Otherwise you can consider installing a distribution that has a kernel version that is greater than 6.0, since my reading on the matter suggests this is significant in such cases.

You might find Linux Mint 21.3 better for you.

is this a dual boot with windows?

Does the install of Ubuntu use the entire drive ?....

How did you burn the usb stick with the ubunto .iso ?.....what app did you use ?
yes, it is dual boot. Iam used ventoy to install ubuntu in my system.

you could try MX-Linux with AHS often works on newer machines when others do not.

Here are some observations on the problem, with the information available so far:

The error 19 means "No such device". The kernel has failed to see the usb hub.
The hub is likely an internal usb hub rather than the usb port on the machine.

The question arises as to how recent is the laptop?

If it's very recent, the firmware may not yet be available for linux. The linux developers take some time to develop what is needed if the manufacturers don't supply the relevant information. That it's a firmware issue is a speculation.

It appears from similar problems online that the 7000 series Ryzen needs to be using a 6 series kernel. That information is not yet available here.

Since the problem with the keyboard and mouse occur:

then it's possible to interrupt the booting, see if the keyboard works, which hopefully it does, then boot to text mode and try to work some repairs.

Specifically, if the machine can be booted to text mode to runlevel 3, with the keyboard working, then hopefully the system would bring up the network so that the user can download the latest firmware and most recent kernel available from the command line to see if that all resolves the matter.

This may seem like a bit much for a "new user" to do, but if you think you can follow instructions very closely, it may be successful. It may not of course, depending on what the underlying problem is.

Otherwise you can consider installing a distribution that has a kernel version that is greater than 6.0, since my reading on the matter suggests this is significant in such cases.
kindly give me steps to boot to text mode.

To boot into text mode (no desktop) you run:

Bash:
sudo systemctl set-default multi-user.target
sudo systemctl reboot

And then to enable back desktop mode run:
Bash:
sudo systemctl set-default graphical.target
sudo systemctl reboot

Since you mentioned the keyboard doesn't work beyond the grub boot, the following is what you can do to boot to text mode:

When the grub menu appears, hit the e key. This should bring up a screen of text. The e is for "edit".

In that screen of text, navigate down with the arrow keys to the line that begins with the word "linux".

At the end of that linux line, add a space and the number 3, inside the quotation marks. That line may run over what looks like two lines on the screen, so ensure that you use the arrow keys to get to the proper end of that line.

Then press cntl+x to boot and the machine should boot to a text screen with a login prompt. Log in with the username and password, and then the command line becomes usable for repair.

This entry to the text mode is only for the current boot. If you want to make it permanent you need to do more.

After all the repairs are done, the machine can either be rebooted into its normal GUI state, or the user can run the command: startx, to have it bring up the GUI without having to reboot. If the repairs are good, the machine should work as intended :)

I can't say how dual boot may complicate this process, but one should be able to get around it.

The procedure described in post #12 would work if your keyboard is functioning, and it would also set the machine to boot to a text prompt by default, whereas the above process in this post will boot to the text prompt for that boot only and makes no permanent or on-going change to the boot configuration.

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online