Solved Kernel update problem

Solved issue

Gallerilt

Reaction score
Credits
After update kernel from 5.15.0-78 to 5.15.0-83 I have problems when booting with new kernel; a lot of ACPI Error: No handler or method for GPE etc. Recovery is booting.
I have googled a lot, no clues; neither in Ubuntu forum.
Any ideas?
See attachment.
inxi -Fxxxpmr
System:
Host: helge-SVP1321C5E Kernel: 5.15.0-78-generic x86_64 bits: 64
compiler: gcc v: 11.3.0 Desktop: GNOME 42.9 tk: GTK 3.24.33 wm: gnome-shell
dm: GDM3 42.0 Distro: Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS (Jammy Jellyfish)
Machine:
Type: Laptop System: Sony product: SVP1321C5E v: C60C8F41
serial: <superuser required> Chassis: type: 10 serial: <superuser required>
Mobo: Sony model: VAIO serial: <superuser required>
UEFI: American Megatrends v: R1044V7 date: 03/24/2014
Battery:
ID-1: BAT0 charge: 15.3 Wh (41.0%) condition: 37.3/37.5 Wh (99.5%)
volts: 8.1 min: 7.5 model: Sony Corp. type: Li-ion serial: N/A
Memory:
RAM: total: 7.66 GiB used: 2.99 GiB (39.1%)
RAM Report:
permissions: Unable to run dmidecode. Root privileges required.
CPU:
Info: dual core model: Intel Core i5-4200U bits: 64 type: MT MCP
smt: enabled arch: Haswell rev: 1 cache: L1: 128 KiB L2: 512 KiB L3: 3 MiB
Speed (MHz): avg: 815 high: 840 min/max: 800/2600 cores: 1: 798 2: 840
3: 801 4: 822 bogomips: 18357
Flags: avx avx2 ht lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3
Graphics:
Device-1: Intel Haswell-ULT Integrated Graphics vendor: Sony driver: i915
v: kernel ports: active: eDP-1 empty: HDMI-A-1 bus-ID: 00:02.0
chip-ID: 8086:0a16 class-ID: 0300
Device-2: Chicony USB 2.0 Camera type: USB driver: uvcvideo bus-ID: 2-5:3
chip-ID: 04f2:b3be class-ID: 0e02 serial: 0x0001
Display: wayland server: X.org v: 1.21.1.4 with: Xwayland v: 22.1.1
compositor: gnome-shell driver: X: loaded: vesa unloaded: fbdev,modesetting
gpu: i915 display-ID: 0
Monitor-1: eDP-1 model: Panasonic VVX13F009G00 res: 1920x1080 dpi: 168
size: 344x193mm (13.5x7.6") diag: 336mm (13.2") modes: 1920x1080
OpenGL: renderer: Mesa Intel HD Graphics 4400 (HSW GT2)
v: 4.6 Mesa 23.0.4-0ubuntu1~22.04.1 direct render: Yes

Attachments

• Kernel.jpg
    Kernel.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 246

There is a couple of ways to fix this

1)
Code:
sudo sed -i 's/COMPRESS=lz4/COMPRESS=gzip/g' /etc/initramfs-tools/initramfs.conf
then run
Code:
sudo update-initramfs -u -k all

2) Open '/etc/default/grub' in an editor with root access.
The line with 'GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT', add the loglevel=3 part. So this, which is what I'm currently using:

Code:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT='quiet splash'

Becomes this:

Code:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT='quiet splash loglevel=3'

Then, when the changes have been saved, open a terminal, then run:

Code:
sudo update-grub

Reboot and see the results

G'day Gallerilt, Welcome to Linux.org

I can confirm there is some somewhat 'screwy' with that latest kernel update

I run LM21.2, and immediately noticed some different/strange behaviour from my PC....nothing as problematic as yours, but disturbing none the less.

Either....restore back to a previous Timeshift snapshot (if you have timeshift set up) which has the previous kernel in use.....and then remove the new kernel. Then install 5.15.0-79 kernel so that you have two kernels installed (good practice to have two, not just one)

Or

EDIT TO ADD: @Lord Boltar has just posted above......I would follow his 'fix', FIRST, and let us know the outcome

EDIT no.2
I solved the problem on my machine, just now, by booting from the second kernel on my pc...5.15.0-82........then opening Linux kernels in Update manager and Removing the problem kernel..5.15.0-83......and installing 5.015.0-79

So, i end up with the pc booting consistently to 5.15.0-82 and 5.15.0-79 is my spare

Last edited:
Welcome to the Forum.
m0135.gif

When a new kernel becomes available from the update manager...I always create a Timeshift snapshot before I install it...just in case. Should any problem arise you just restore it...then wait till the next Kernel comes along.
m1213.gif

I'm running 5.15.0-83 on Mint Cinnamon 21.1 with no problems...you can always roll back the Kernel to the previous one doing this...https://www.linux.org/threads/how-to-roll-back-a-kernel-in-linux-mint-21-1.43961/

Hope this helps.
m1212.gif

To Lord Boltar: I don`t understand what these commands are really doing, and furthermore I always keep old kernels - in case, as this. So I am using Grub Customizer to select a working kernel. (Is Grub Customizer writing directly to "etc/default/grub"?)
A strange thing: when booting with Recovery version new kernel, I will have the choice "continue with normal boot", and when choosing that, it boots apparently normal but whithout quiet splash. But it is not possible to adjust brightness. Is the problem really the video driver?
I think I will continue to use the slightly older kernel 5.15.0-78 and wait for the bug guys to do a job.

""Grub Customizer (grub-customizer) may look easy and nifty, but can mess up a vital part of your operating system. Your bootloader is as vital as it gets: after all, a system that won't boot anymore is useless.

And...

How to undo the complications that Grub Customizer has afflicted​

2. If you're a victim of Grub Customizer, you can restore a Timeshift snapshot in order to get rid of it. If you don't have such a snapshot I advise to let it be, as long as it works....

When you have no Timeshift snapshot and you wish to get fully rid of Grub Customizer anyway, a fresh clean re-installation of your Linux Mint or Ubuntu is the best solution. Because in my test I was unfortunately unable to undo the damage done by Grub Customizer in any other way (which includes applying the "undo" instructions provided in a text file created by Grub Customizer itself).
https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/p/grub-customizer.html

t3602.gif
t3606.gif

Last edited:
I see you think my problem is about Grub Customizer, but I don`t understand. My problem is about a kernel not booting, but leaving what I showed in my first posting. I can`t understand why getting rid of Grub Customizer will change that. I am using Grub Customizer only to change priority when booting different kernels/windows, not to add fancy stuff for Grub boot screen. Or delete kernes if needed. So please inform me.
So back to my problem: can you from what I showed in my first posting give some clues how to solve it? Can I enter this directly in Grub boot screen: GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT='quiet splash loglevel=3'

No, we do not think your problem concerns grub customizer. What we are advising you is that grub customizer is more than capable of causing problems with your entire installation. I have encountered problems with grub customizer myself and can vouch for the system destroying properties it can wreak.

Clearly, your immediate problem concerns the 5.15.0-83 kernel....and I said in my post this kernel is causing some disruption to folks systems. It is not just confined to you.

I asked it you have Timeshift set up. Do you ?

If so, then it is a simple matter to Restore to a time whn the snapshot in use was 5.15.0-82....the day before the 5.15.0-83 was installed...probably the 8th September.

If you do not have Timeshift running...then you simply need to roll back the kernel being used.

I think I will continue to use the slightly older kernel 5.15.0-78 and wait for the bug guys to do a job.
I see you have already accomplished that.

I hope all is now well.

You can right click on the 5.15.0-83 update (in update manager) and select to ignore future updates for that kernel only, if you wish.

A new kernel will come along in the near future.

Consider having Timeshift taking a periodic snapshot and saving that to an external drive. it can save your bacon in a very simple and safe manner.

This out a day ago

involves using eg Nano to insert into /etc/default/grub the string

Code:
pci=nommconf

You would place it after eg "quiet splash"

You won't likely see all the scrolling white output on black at startup and shutdown unless you have "noquiet nosplash" in your grub file, although I use that all the time to be warned of errors and warnings.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

BTW what the OP was experiencing was an ACPI Error Storm, we can deal with the unfortunate chice of Grub Customizer in a separate thread if the OP wishes.

No its OK; I guess I have to wait for an kernel update to avoid this ACPI Error Storm. I have read about the Grub Customizer an realize the problems. I think I will keep it, but not use it for anything else but change kernel booting priority, and deleting kernels with problems like this above.
Should we say case solved?

That's entirely your choice :)

If you wish to do so, return to your first Post and choose edit and follow below

nYSKHvh.png

Cheers

Wizard

Members online