Windows 10
Virtual Box 6.1.38 r153438
Virtual Box Extension: 6.1.38 r153438
Kali Version: 2022.3

Machine Settings:

USB:

Enable USB Controller Ticked
USB 3.0 (xHCI) controller selected
USB Device Filters: Realtek USB3.0 802.11ac 1200m Adapter (0210)

Network Adapter 1:

Enable Network Adapter Ticked
Attached To: Bridged Adapter
Name: Realtek 8812BU Wireless Lan 802.11.ac USB NIC
Adapter Type: Intel PRO/1000MT Desktop (82540EM)
Promiscuous Mode: Deny
Cable Connected Ticked

Once I run Kali and open terminal this is my output....

┌──(kali㉿kali)-[~]
└─$ iwconfig
lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

┌──(kali㉿kali)-[~]
└─$ lsusb
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0bda:b812 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL88x2bu [AC1200 Techkey]
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 80ee:0021 VirtualBox USB Tablet
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

It looks to me that the machine can't see the wifi adapter as an adapter however it does see that it is plugged into the usb on my host machine which makes me think it may need a driver installing within Kali Linux.... could anyone shed some light and help me understand what's going on...?

Welcome to the forums
Sounds like you do not have enough Linux experiences to be running Kali.
You do not say if you're using a machine with inbuilt Wi-Fi or a USB dongle,
IF you are trying to connect a VM to an inbuilt wi-fi adaptor, then give up, your Host machine, {windows, Linux, mac, or whatever] has full controls over the built-in components as so control of your inbuilt internet, your access to the outside world is via a bridge to the host system and will show as a wired connection in Kali, If you wish the VM to have direct access it will need a separate USB dongle,
If you are using a USB adaptor for your host drive, then you cannot connect it to your guest [Kali] without first disconnecting it from the host via the wireless manager in the host system

Surely this indicates I am using a USB RTL88x2bu adapter?

┌──(kali㉿kali)-[~]
└─$ lsusb
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0bda:b812 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL88x2bu [AC1200 Techkey]

Eitherway - Yes I am using a USB adapter that is not being used by the host machine... so - where do we go from here?

ok, plug in the adaptor and in Kali run inxi -Nn and post back the full results, let's see if that sees it and hopeful gives us a full chip set number

┌──(kali㉿kali)-[~]
└─$ inxi -Nn
Command 'inxi' not found, but can be installed with:
sudo apt install inxi
Do you want to install it? (N/y)y
sudo apt install inxi
[sudo] password for kali:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package inxi

Is it trying to look for this package via the internet?

I tried the commands at the bottom of that thread....

It returns

E: Unable to locate package bc
Cloning into 'rtl88x2BU_WiFi_linux_v5.3.1_27678.20180430_COEX20180427-5959'...
fatal: unable to access 'https://github.com/cilynx/rtl88x2BU_WiFi_linux_v5.3.1_27678.20180430_COEX20180427-5959.git/': Could not resolve host: github.com

etc etc etc

The problem Is I cannot access the Internet on this Virtual Machine to download the package? Is that correct?

You should be able to use the bridge [wired connection to Windows] open network manage and enable wired connection in Kali

I don't usually get this involved with Kali the Kali forums won't usually even acknowledge installation questions as they say if you cannot install Kali you are not ready to use it, I just try and point you in the direction to go [the same as I would do if you were on another pen-testing forum I am a member of]

Last edited:
Well I really appreciate your help. I am a computer/network engineer so I will pick up linux pretty quick. I have got as far as monitoring my home network and deauthorising connections before so I have got further than this. It's just I am in work with not much to do so I decided to start a fresh on VB and carry on learning - but I remember it being not so easy the first time I tried to get a wifi adapter working. I have now bridged my ethernet connection on the host machine and on Kali it says wired connection 1 with a swirling circle however it still doesn't let me access the web. It also seems to periodically disconnect. I've done a lot of digging on the internet today to try and fix this issue but I am just struggling... If you have any other ideas I would really appreciate the help...

It's just I am in work with not much to do
if you're trying to access via the company, internet Might there be any firewalls /restrictions on the works' system stopping unauthorised access?

If i think of anything else I will let you know, later tonight one or two of our regular VM users may be about to chuck in an idea or two

if you're trying to access via the company, internet Might there be any firewalls /restrictions on the works' system stopping unauthorised access?

If i think of anything else I will let you know, later tonight one or two of our regular VM users may be about to chuck in an idea or two
that was my thoughts also - so I can try again at home - but it's the wifi adapter i need working really

Last edited:
You seem to have a professional attitude to pen-testing, [makes a change most Kali questions are from youngsters who think it would be cool to be a hacker,].So some general information for you. There are about a dozen or so Linux builds aimed at pen-testing, several are a lot easier to set up and use than Kali and offer full courses and accreditation [at a price], also the "tools" can be installed on almost any Linux distribution, Professional pen-testers usually use either a VM, a pen-drive installation with persistence or a dedicated machine, A pen-drive installation will require a machine with at least 4 GB ram and a vm say minimum of 4gb but recommend 8gb or preferably 16 gb of ram,

I've worked professionally in IT for 14 years mostly support, installation, networking... and I just want to increase my network/security knowledge for other work opportunities. I've been playing with computers from a young age. So your assumptions of my attitude are pretty spot on =) I am aware of the multiple ways the OS can be used... like you said... USB with persistence etc etc. I could go home and install Kali or any Linux straight onto a laptop - but that's just ignoring the VB/WIFI Adapter issue I currently have, and that doesn't fix the problem... and I am in the business of fixing IT problems ^_^
Lately I'm also learning Adobe Premiere Pro, I have good experience with Photoshop so I'm picking Adobe Premiere up pretty quick. And also trying to learn more and more about social media, advertising, marketing... I basically want to have enough all round knowledge, so that I feel comfortable setting something up from scratch - and hopefully make it grow into a business. I have multiple ideas, ambitions and business plans at the ready. I figure the more I can prepare will make for less work when problems/issues arise. Maybe I'm not built for it though =/

Last edited:
I have spent a while searching for a definitive answer and can't find one, lots of suggestions, that have worked for some but by no means all. There is a U-Tube vid you could try[
]

If this doesn't work for you, then I will make an alternative suggestion to you, take yourself over to https://parrotsec.org/ and take a look at that distribution the security edition is the same as the home edition But includes the "tools", it is a more comprehensive Linux distribution than Kali and the members are nearly all professionals [or training towards] and are very friendly.

don't worry about the waffling, we all do it occasionally