kali linux live stuck on grub minimal BASH-like line editing

jek

Reaction score
Credits
Please someone help me im new to this, i'm stuck on the gnu grub menu and when i type boot, it say "you need to load the kernel version", what do i need to do?
16971134607196849351392520979530.jpg

Welcome to the forums,
let me guess... you are not an experienced Linux user, well Kali is not a beginner distribution, you need to be Linux experienced and Terminal competent to install and use it correctly, It doesn't contain all the drivers and installers needed for the novice, please read the first 2 post in our Kali forum. [above your post]

Welcome to the forums,
let me guess... you are not an experienced Linux user, well Kali is not a beginner distribution, you need to be Linux experienced and Terminal competent to install and use it correctly, It doesn't contain all the drivers and installers needed for the novice, please read the first 2 post in our Kali forum. [above your post]
yes i'am new and i don't know anything about linux. I do this because my lecture ask me to do. can you please help me?

You need to make sure that grub points to where the kernel is installed. I would reinstall and make sure you have secure boot and quick start or fast start disable in bios. make sure when grub is install that you install it on the mbr of the first HD or SSD.

Please go to the Kali documentation page and read the first 5 before you come back,. here is the link... https://www.kali.org/docs/introduction/
How you install Kali will depend on what method of installation you are going to use
Bare Mettle [direct to a Hard-drive/SSD either solo or multi-boot]
In a VM/VB [Virtual machine/box]
IN Windows, using WSL [Windows subsystem for Linux]
the safest for a newbie is VM that way when you bulk your installation [AND YOU WILL] it is easier to wipe and re-install without loosing all your personal data on the main OS

Last edited:
yes i'am new and i don't know anything about linux. I do this because my lecture ask me to do. can you please help me?
If you ask me, your lecturer needs a darned good boot up the backside! He obviously doesn't understand the first thing about Linux, OR the community, and has doubtless been seduced by the slick marketing just like all the other idiot wannabe hackers.

If he did, he would never have set you such a thankless task in the first place. (Either that, or he wants you to experience the "no-win" scenario for yourself, as part of trying to educate you further into the unfathomable mysteries of the "real world"....)

Perhaps there IS "method in the mdness", after all..!!
veryconfused-small.gif

Mike.
giggle-small.gif

If you ask me, your lecturer needs a darned good boot up the backside!
Erm... well A similar thought was going through my head as I was composing my reply
rBHqihMVxTBOuccMIuFn.gif

You need to make sure that grub points to where the kernel is installed. I would reinstall and make sure you have secure boot and quick start or fast start disable in bios. make sure when grub is install that you install it on the mbr of the first HD or SSD.
how to make grub points to the kernel? my secure boot and quick start aare already disable, i try re installing but it still doesn't work

Please go to the Kali documentation page and read the first 5 before you come back,. here is the link... https://www.kali.org/docs/introduction/
How you install Kali will depend on what method of installation you are going to use
Bare Mettle [direct to a Hard-drive/SSD either solo or multi-boot]
In a VM/VB [Virtual machine/box]
IN Windows, using WSL [Windows subsystem for Linux]
the safest for a newbie is VM that way when you bulk your installation [AND YOU WILL] it is easier to wipe and re-install without loosing all your personal data on the main OS
i install kali using the live usb, and i using a 64 gb usb with rufus to burn into the usb

If you ask me, your lecturer needs a darned good boot up the backside! He obviously doesn't understand the first thing about Linux, OR the community, and has doubtless been seduced by the slick marketing just like all the other idiot wannabe hackers.

If he did, he would never have set you such a thankless task in the first place. (Either that, or he wants you to experience the "no-win" scenario for yourself, as part of trying to educate you further into the unfathomable mysteries of the "real world"....)

Perhaps there IS "method in the mdness", after all..!!
veryconfused-small.gif

Mike.
giggle-small.gif
i don't know and i don't care what my lecture think, i just wanna have a good grade HAHAHA

You still have not answered my question.. How are you trying to install.... If its to Bare mettle then

Why Linux fails to load/install direct to HDD, common reasons
1] Corrupt download [check SHA sum]
2] bad burn to installation medium [try again] [if you used Rufus then try Balina-etcher]
3] Wind 8.2 and higher quick start/fast boot or secure boot not disabled [doesn't normally apply to older versions]
4] defective pen-drive/dvd
5] hardware fault,
5A] If old style HDD run integrity check
5B]if SATA SSD check for hidden partition at the beginning of drive [this will stop Grub from loading] and delete it before re-installing Linux
If M2.NVMe check, your system is NVMe compatible [not all older kit is]

You still have not answered my question.. How are you trying to install.... If its to Bare mettle then

2] bad burn to installation medium [try again] [if you used Rufus then try Balina-etcher]
3] Wind 8.2 and higher quick start/fast boot or secure boot not disabled [doesn't normally apply to older versions]
5] hardware fault,
5B]if SATA SSD check for hidden partition at the beginning of drive [this will stop Grub from loading] and delete it before re-installing Linux
no its no bare metal i intall to live usb

5] hardware fault,
i have try re download it, i've try use etcher, i try on a different pc, different usb flashdisk. but it still the same

Is this happening when trying to boot from usb stick?

no its no bare metal i intall to live usb
OK so if I understand you,
you have downloaded the iso and made a working installation USB [you can make it run in a live session] but now you want to make the USB into a Live bootable USB stick with persistence to act as a removable drive to do your course work with.. then see

thank you for all of your help, i appreciate that. I have succeed to launch kali, the problem is the grub doesn't find the kernel

OK so if I understand you,
you have downloaded the iso and made a working installation USB [you can make it run in a live session] but now you want to make the USB into a Live bootable USB stick with persistence to act as a removable drive to do your course work with.. then see
thank you so much wizard. I hope i can learn more from you about linux

I hope i can learn more from you about linux
If you want to learn about Linux, Kali is the wrong way to do it, If your tutor is just going to teach you how to use the pen-testing tools, you will be driving blindfolded in a dark tunnel with a lorry coming towards you.
if you wish to learn Linux, the best way is to install a newbie friendly distribution, and use it as your daily workhorse [e-mail, web, gaming, Etc] that way you will learn more of the power of Linux and how customisable it is.

If you want to learn about Linux, Kali is the wrong way to do it, If your tutor is just going to teach you how to use the pen-testing tools, you will be driving blindfolded in a dark tunnel with a lorry coming towards you.
if you wish to learn Linux, the best way is to install a newbie friendly distribution, and use it as your daily workhorse [e-mail, web, gaming, Etc] that way you will learn more of the power of Linux and how customisable it is.
it is for pentest only. What distro did you recommend me to use?

Members online