Screenshot_20190716_080922.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 832
  • Screenshot_20190716_080902.jpg
    Screenshot_20190716_080902.jpg
    238 KB · Views: 914
  • Screenshot_20190716_080828.jpg
    Screenshot_20190716_080828.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 852

G'day @8RYUK8 and welcome to linux.org :)

I am moving this Thread to Kali

https://www.linux.org/forums/kali-linux.162/

... where it may gain more attention.

You want to tell people what the config on your rig is, and they will likely ask you why you want to install Kali?

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Like Wizard said, we'd need to know the hardware that you're using to get a better idea of why you may be having trouble. Without that, we can only take a stab in the dark at it.
What happens when you use one of the other options? When you take the Live option, does it boot up to the desktop? If you did the graphical install does it still hang at the hard drive choice? And, how long did you wait there before giving up? Sometimes when I do installs (not of Kali), they appear to hang but after a few minutes continue on with the install.

i waited for almost an hour before giving up and the two install options dont work it thats hangs there without displaying anything no options at all
trying the live session boots into windows
i got a lenovo ideapad 330 the i7 8gb ram version with its default Bios just allowed booting legacy

i can provide a screenshot of my boot options and bios settings

If attempting to boot to the live session fails and causes you to end up in Windows - it sounds like you might still have something like fastboot (or fast startup - whatever it's called) enabled in windows. Try disabling fastboot in windows and then try booting to a live session.

What was used to create your live USB and how large is the USB? There maybe some corruption on the USB and and when it tries to load the OS some files are missing, misplaced or corrupted.

Is your Lenovo Ideapad a tablet?

If so you may have to root the device.

Be careful. I know someone that tried to install Debian on their tablet and now it won't boot at all.

Check the integrity of the .iso file and make sure the md5sum checks out.

If attempting to boot to the live session fails and causes you to end up in Windows - it sounds like you might still have something like fastboot (or fast startup - whatever it's called) enabled in windows. Try disabling fastboot in windows and then try booting to a live session.
i can try that if its the case but would that help me fix the installing issue
i dont want to boot to live sessions only

Is your Lenovo Ideapad a tablet?

If so you may have to root the device.

Be careful. I know someone that tried to install Debian on their tablet and now it won't boot at all.

Check the integrity of the .iso file and make sure the md5sum checks out.
no its not its a full-fledged laptop but i was goin to attempt that on a tablet so thanks for that

What was used to create your live USB and how large is the USB? There maybe some corruption on the USB and and when it tries to load the OS some files are missing, misplaced or corrupted.
the usb is 8gb so i think thats enough cuz the files are only 3.7 something, and the manufacturer is unknown but is says general udisk

Perhaps these will help.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good reads.

No, we understand you don't want to only boot to live sessions, but we want you to try for troubleshooting purposes.
my bad
it just refuses to boot it boots to windows
and installing still hangs

the usb is 8gb so i think thats enough cuz the files are only 3.7 something, and the manufacturer is unknown but is says general udisk
Cool, that size is the minimum recommended size to create the live usb on. Have you tried generating the bootable usb in PowerISO for windows? That is typically how I create all my bootable media. Also have you attempted to use the media to create a VM, say in virtual box. I occasionally verify media I have issues with on a throw away VM to verify the media is good. Through this method I found that a fairly older version of Red Hat will not boot from a usb but boots fine from a dvd/iso. This is also a good method for verifying the iso.

Cool, that size is the minimum recommended size to create the live usb on. Have you tried generating the bootable usb in PowerISO for windows? That is typically how I create all my bootable media. Also have you attempted to use the media to create a VM, say in virtual box. I occasionally verify media I have issues with on a throw away VM to verify the media is good. Through this method I found that a fairly older version of Red Hat will not boot from a usb but boots fine from a dvd/iso. This is also a good method for verifying the iso.
i tried another old version from a dvd dribe it goes ahead and doesn't hang but is shows an error sayin"there was a problem reading data from the cd_rom,.......... " as shown in the attached image
i retried several times and it doesn't work
i think the usb version got other issues
and the cd version is completely differnt case
i run out of ideas
the cd version worked in vm" virtual box" though

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190720_001439.jpg
    Screenshot_20190720_001439.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 670
i tried a 2016 version burned it to a another cd and now I get this *see attached file*
so to sum it up
1 - the usb hangs doesn't go to the installing process
2 - the first cd says error retrieving data from cd-rom
3 - the second cd with older kali version says missing non-free firmware
Screenshot_20190720_003135.jpg

Try to get the firmware onto that usb or download the non-free firmware for your nic card and put it on an additional usb and plug that it when it prompts you.

If the usb device isn't listed as the "first boot device" in the BIOS boot priority list make it the first when you get the chance.

Most often the first device listed in the BIOS under the >Boot Menu is the HDD.
If the usb with the Kali Linux installer isn't the 'first' in the 'boot priority list' the first in the boot list (meaning your Windows os on the HDD) will continue to boot to Windows till you change it:-

https://www.lifewire.com/change-the-boot-order-in-bios-2624528

IF your laptop is a UEFI machine (came with Windows 10) than you'll have to do this:

https://www.howtogeek.com/129815/beginner-geek-how-to-change-the-boot-order-in-your-computers-bios/

Members online