Kali boots to GNU Grub

AutisticJar

Reaction score
Credits
Super huge problem!

I'm trying out Kali because I want to get into ethical hacking eventually. Downloaded the installer on my USB with the installer from the Kali page and balenaEtcher, but when I boot from the drive it shows a gnu Grub section with the prompt "grub>". Any help?

(I already saw a thread on this but it didn't work with my machine so I decided to make my own.)

I'm not all too good with linux lingo, so I can't understand how to verify my installation. My USB connects, reads, and writes just fine.

@KGIII I checked the sha256sum, it's fine. I tried to boot again after redownloading the iso (this is the one I checked the sha256sum on) and It still boots to GNU Grub.

AGHHH I'm kinda dumb. Turns out, Kali is for smart people, and I'm not one of those. Oops. Consider this thread dead. Sorry for wasting your time!

Kali is for smart people

Good on you. Now, start with an easier to use Linux and you too can become one of the 'smart' people in fairly short order. If you put the effort in, you can become quite proficient with Linux. After that is when you check out Kali.

You've got to start with walking before you start running.

Welcome
for future reference

Why Linux fails to load/install direct to HDD, common reasons
1] Corrupt download [check SHA sum]
2] bad burn to installation medium [try again] [if you used Rufus then try Balena Etcher]
3] Wind 8.2 and higher quick start/fast boot or secure boot not disabled [doesn't normally apply to older versions]
4] defective pen-drive/DVD
5] hardware fault,
5A] If old style HDD run integrity check
5B]if SATA SSD check for hidden partition at the beginning of drive [this will stop Grub from loading] and delete it before re-installing Linux
If M2.NVMe check, your system is NVMe compatible [not all older kit is]

Members online

Latest posts