It looks like you can buy an MSI laptop without Windows.

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
For reasons, I was browsing an MSI site in a language I don't actually speak. I came across this:

Selection_019.png

Where the arrow is, is where they listed the operating system for the rest of the list (not just the one in the image). So, it looks like you can buy an MSI without Windows, but with Free DOS installed instead.

That's good news. More OEMs are (finally) starting to ship hardware without Windows, and that's a good thing. Sure, they're catering to maybe 2 to 4% of the potential users, but it's nice to get a nod now and then.

I don't really care if Windows is on a laptop that I buy since I will reinstall the system with Linux anyways, although the last gaming laptop I bought came without OS it was a Lenevo laptop.

I don't really care if Windows is on a laptop that I buy since I will reinstall the system with Linux anyways, although the last gaming laptop I bought came without OS it was a Lenevo laptop.

In theory, you're paying for an OS you're not using, sometimes called "The Microsoft Tax". Some folks are against the idea of it and don't want to pay for software they're not intending to use.

I'm not sure if folks are still doing it, but some Linux people were (at one point) sending letters back to OEMs demanding a refund for software they didn't use/license. As memory serves, it was in some ways effective. Some OEMs would send them small refunds - like $35 or something like that. I 'member the many discussions from back on Slashdot a good number of years back. I haven't heard of anyone bothering to do it now, but I suspect some do.

In theory, you're paying for an OS you're not using, sometimes called "The Microsoft Tax". Some folks are against the idea of it and don't want to pay for software they're not intending to use.

I'm not sure if folks are still doing it, but some Linux people were (at one point) sending letters back to OEMs demanding a refund for software they didn't use/license. As memory serves, it was in some ways effective. Some OEMs would send them small refunds - like $35 or something like that. I 'member the many discussions from back on Slashdot a good number of years back. I haven't heard of anyone bothering to do it now, but I suspect some do.
Luckily today it looks like that's over with Windows 11 rolling out completely portable licenses per device. More like subscriptions. In my country, there's a store called Wootware who operate only online. Their main goal is cheaper parts/builds to combat the high prices and price fixing in South Africa. They sell unbranded laptops that they've branded Wootbooks and they offer Windows as optional now, too. I think Linux is starting to be taken seriously, even though we're a minority group because, despite the low overall market share, our userbase is growing pretty decently, largely thanks to MS.

Luckily today it looks like that's over with Windows 11 rolling out completely portable licenses per device.

I'll be surprised if it has much of an effect on anything. Devices will still ship with a new license. It's the OEM way.

Members online