Is Amazon build it's own OS?

kc1di

Reaction score
Credits

''The more Linux the better'' perhaps it means that amazon will contribute some money to the Linux foundation, otherwise I can't see how one more closed source Linux spin-off will do any good to Linux users like us

They just take advantage of the free software to save some money in software development

perhaps it means that amazon will contribute some money to the Linux foundation,

They already do and have for quite a while.

I don't think their OS will be of benefit to the average user, unless of course you buy one of their devices to watch tv on!
It won't be a DE operating system. But they will be free from Google, which i'm sure will lead to innovation.

I don't think their OS will be of benefit to the average user, unless of course you buy one of their devices to watch tv on!

FWIW, Amazon also pays full-time kernel developers who work on the kernel.

Of course, this is to Amazon's benefit (as they host/use a whole lot of Linux, especially in AWS) and not out of the kindness of their hearts, but that's true with pretty much all the paid development as far as I know.

But, yes, this particular bit isn't going to help those who don't buy their products. They will have to share the code as they're distributing the code on their devices. That's part of the GPL. I doubt much of that will benefit desktop Linux users.

While Android is also a Linux-based OS, and Amazon’s own Fire OS an Android-based fork, Vega is apparently not another Android fork nor based on AOSP. It is all-new, proper Linux.

I think Amazon want to block people from hacking their ‘Fire’ devices to watch free stuff.

Staff online

Latest posts