Installing Pop!_OS to dual boot with windows 10 - can't see partitions

linuxnewbie123

Reaction score
Credits
Hi there,
I'm very new to Linux, so apologies for my ignorance in asking this, though I've attempted to do my due diligence via YouTube tutorials and the introductory posts here. I'm currently on Windows 10, and trying to set up my laptop to dual-boot with Linux, so that I can learn to code python, particularly for epidemiology/bioinformatics type tasks. Based on some advice I've attempted to opt for POP!_OS. I created a partition, downloaded POP!_OS, transferred it to a 16GB USB using balenaEtcher, set up my BIOS so that my laptop doesn't use secure boot, and made it to the POP!_OS launch screen. I'm able to select the language, location etc but when I get to a screen where it asks me to 'select which partitions to use across all drives' it doesn't show any options. When I click 'modify partitions' it only shows /dev/sda with the label 'POP_OS 20.10 amd64 Nvidia'. Also after a few minutes it seems to freeze and I have to reboot my laptop which isn't too old or problematic in general (it's an Acer Swift 3, in case relevant).

I'd really welcome any advice on how to get POP!_OS to recognise the partition I've created/how to get setup, I feel like I'm almost there but can't quite make it over the line! I've included a couple of pictures below, and a link to the tutorial I've been using

Thanks!

Tutorial:
IMG_20201211_143952098.jpg
Partitions.PNG

Hi,

Thanks so much for responding, I'm afraid the tutorial you linked to is giving me the same issues, the partitions still aren't showing up correctly, and when I go to click 'unmount' it doesn't give me that option, see below. Would really appreciate any further advice!
IMG_20201212_094946_322.jpg

Hi,

Thanks so much for responding, I'm afraid the tutorial you linked to is giving me the same issues, the partitions still aren't showing up correctly, and when I go to click 'unmount' it doesn't give me that option, see below. Would really appreciate any further advice!
View attachment 8001
You can unmount the partition from the terminal. Type in the command:
Code:
sudo umount /dev/sda
Then press enter.

Hi there,
I'm very new to Linux, so apologies for my ignorance in asking this, though I've attempted to do my due diligence via YouTube tutorials and the introductory posts here. I'm currently on Windows 10, and trying to set up my laptop to dual-boot with Linux, so that I can learn to code python, particularly for epidemiology/bioinformatics type tasks. Based on some advice I've attempted to opt for POP!_OS. I created a partition, downloaded POP!_OS, transferred it to a 16GB USB using balenaEtcher, set up my BIOS so that my laptop doesn't use secure boot, and made it to the POP!_OS launch screen. I'm able to select the language, location etc but when I get to a screen where it asks me to 'select which partitions to use across all drives' it doesn't show any options. When I click 'modify partitions' it only shows /dev/sda with the label 'POP_OS 20.10 amd64 Nvidia'. Also after a few minutes it seems to freeze and I have to reboot my laptop which isn't too old or problematic in general (it's an Acer Swift 3, in case relevant).

I'd really welcome any advice on how to get POP!_OS to recognise the partition I've created/how to get setup, I feel like I'm almost there but can't quite make it over the line! I've included a couple of pictures below, and a link to the tutorial I've been using

Thanks!
Hi!
Did you solve it?, i'm having the same problem
sudo umount /dev/sda
tried this but is gives me the message
umount: /dev/sda: not mounted.

Check your BIOS. Look for "Intel RST" or "AHCI". If memory serves, you want to change the RST/Intel whatever to AHCI.

Members online