Installing LM on a SSD

You have perseverance sir I will give you that :)

Just throwing another idea at you, and totally your call.

You had expressed an interest in ultimately running 3 - 4 Linux, you could throw one on now, and provided the hardware is not a limitation, that should work.

If you choose another Ubuntu-based Distro such as Ubuntu itself (I would suggest Ubuntu 16.04 MATE, not Unity, it's more friendly) or eg Zorin OS12, you will still be in the same "Family" for learning purposes.

You could choose one of the Fedora Workstation group, they are very stable, but you would be mixing and matching Debian-based with RPM-based - not a problem for the computer, but if you use Terminal, commands can differ in syntax somewhat, a double learning curve.

What will happen is this - the new Distro, as a part of being installed, will perform what I call TLS - The Leaderboard Shuffle. It will take over the top spot on your Grub Menu, with Linux Mint at second spot.

As far as the install goes, process will be almost identical (Ubiquity installer for both options), and you would choose the option (it will detect the Linux Mint) Install Alongside.

Have a think about it & I can field any questions. If you are successful in getting the 2nd one installed, the first will likely "come good". I can show you from either of my two main computers that many Distros can live happily ever after, side-by-side.

Cheers for the evening

Wizard

Hey fellas. So I tried to change the settings in the bios but they don't have the option. Apparently this is a bit of a problem with hp laptops but I couldn't quite figure it out. I think ahci is the default however you can't change it. I'm going to look into this a little more. I did get into mint and did a driver update. There was one driver that needed an update, something with the firmware, I'm wondering if this might have an effect. Unfortunately when I try to restart to save the change it encounters the same problem. So if this is the problem it's just a matter of multiple attempts!

I'm not surprised the setting is missing. I checked my old HP laptop after posting, and I don't have it either. I don't have a trap door on mine to replace the hard drive, but if we can't get you going soon I will pop this case open and install the SSD that I got to see if my HP will give me the same grief.

In the meantime, let's follow along with @wizardfromoz's latest idea... install a secondary system and see if that makes a difference.

You have perseverance sir I will give you that :)

Just throwing another idea at you, and totally your call.

You had expressed an interest in ultimately running 3 - 4 Linux, you could throw one on now, and provided the hardware is not a limitation, that should work.

If you choose another Ubuntu-based Distro such as Ubuntu itself (I would suggest Ubuntu 16.04 MATE, not Unity, it's more friendly) or eg Zorin OS12, you will still be in the same "Family" for learning purposes.

You could choose one of the Fedora Workstation group, they are very stable, but you would be mixing and matching Debian-based with RPM-based - not a problem for the computer, but if you use Terminal, commands can differ in syntax somewhat, a double learning curve.

What will happen is this - the new Distro, as a part of being installed, will perform what I call TLS - The Leaderboard Shuffle. It will take over the top spot on your Grub Menu, with Linux Mint at second spot.

As far as the install goes, process will be almost identical (Ubiquity installer for both options), and you would choose the option (it will detect the Linux Mint) Install Alongside.

Have a think about it & I can field any questions. If you are successful in getting the 2nd one installed, the first will likely "come good". I can show you from either of my two main computers that many Distros can live happily ever after, side-by-side.

Cheers for the evening

Wizard

This is certainly worth a try... if GRUB is the problem, it may resolve itself. Many of the Google results (searching "error attempt to read or write outside of disk hd0") point to GRUB fixes. Some indicate a BIOS limit of 137 GB for boot partition, suggesting to create a smaller /boot partition. At least one was a bad/dirty connection of the hard drive itself (and reseating the connection solved it).

But what I found to be most common among all those search results was how heavily they leaned to Debian/Ubuntu/Mint systems suffering from this (plus one Arch, a couple of Windows). Maybe it is simply due to their popularity and having a larger user base, I don't know. But if a secondary Ubuntu install does not seem to help, I think I might next try a clean install with something not from the Debian family... PCLinuxOS, Fedora, or openSUSE Leap.

I think I will try to install my new SSD in my old HP laptop today, just for giggles.
On second thought (and looking up instructions)... I think I'll wait a bit longer on that project! :eek:o_O:D

Gentleman. I installed another version of Linux Mint 18.2 next to the previous. I realise it would probably have been better to go with another distro but I had the USB ready to go so I thought why not give it a try. And...
I think we made it, or are at least close. I have the second Mint as an option in the GRUB and if I choose that I generally get it to boot without problems. Ive tried it maybe 15 times and had all successes except for two. However I must add that I am usually cycling the power button so as to "test" it under the most difficult situation. This might be part of the error or failures. Tomorrow I will try to do maybe 30 boots. 15 shutting down within linux, and 15 just cycling the "power" button on my computer. Hopefully this will be a "stressed test." So I have two Linux Mints on the drive currently, the first non-functioning, the second appears to be functioning, at least mostly. So progress.... It is formatted in MSDOS but ive been thinking about it and one distro I believe would be enough. The reason I was aiming at more was that some were "optimized" for some of the things I wanted to accomplish. However, correct me if I am wrong, but I think all of the software from these distros could be installed into one distro anyway? So if thats true I would be just fine with a single distro.
:D:):D:)

Last edited:
Aw, that's sweet lol ... I'll print that and show it to Elaine when she wakes up from her kip (nap), she knows Tux the Penguin, or Pirate in this case.

Thanks for the well wishes, folks, they mean a lot. :D

Ed, your post edited with my comments interspersed:

Gentleman. I installed another version of Linux Mint 18.2 next to the previous. I realise it would probably have been better to go with another distro but I had the USB ready to go so I thought why not give it a try.

Works for me ... a bit of lateral thinking from you, goodonyer :)

I think we made it, or are at least close. I have the second Mint as an option in the GRUB and if I choose that I generally get it to boot without problems.

Excellent. That is substantially achieving the thrust of what I was suggesting.

Ive tried it maybe 15 times and had all successes except for two.

If you remember any errors from those exceptions or experience them again, jot them down and we can take a look?

Tomorrow I will try to do maybe 30 boots. 15 shutting down within linux, and 15 just cycling the "power" button on my computer. Hopefully this will be a "stressed test."

I am guessing you have employed troubleshooting skills and methods before, which will benefit you in Linux (which, I might add, I like to think has fewer "troubles to shoot" than certain alternatives, but I am heavily biased, lol)

.... It is formatted in MSDOS

Honestly can't tell you if that will present any issues. I don't know of any.

but ive been thinking about it and one distro I believe would be enough.

Totally fair call. Some people buy a house and live in the same house all their lives. Likewise with a favourite motor vehicle. Why? Because it suits you. It does not mean you are not adventurous, it may just "suit you" and you are satisfied.

...However, correct me if I am wrong, but I think all of the software from these distros could be installed into one distro anyway? So if thats true I would be just fine with a single distro.

Not wrong, just not totally right. See my screenshot outside of this tailored quote.

My SPM (Synaptic Package Manager) snippet screenshot from Sonya Cinnamon

fWnIXqp.png

So my (and your) full install of Sonya Cinnamon only requires a little over 2,000 packages , which might include several hundred applications, and their dependencies.

The remaining 53,000+ packages are what is in Linux Mint's Repositories*, and easily available to us, just require an internet connection.

* In the case of Linux Mint, that means a combination of Linux Mint's Repos, and also those of Ubuntu.

Supposing you want a database. Go to SPM's Quick Filter, type in database and view some results for what you have and what you don't. (Help - Icon Legend explains them).

Or go to Menu and type in software and go to Software Manager. Mine says "85649 packages are currently available" ... that's more than SPM! :eek:

Me "... just not totally right". - If the apps you want are from eg Fedora, OpenSUSE, CentOS, then as they stand they are in RPM-based format and will not work, unadapted, on Linux Mint or Ubuntu &c which are Debian-based. BUT there are and may be ways to adapt them, and we know of some of those. Ask as you have need. Or do the research and see how you go.

Before I go:

On the "new Mintie" -

Code:
sudo apt-get install gparted

GParted, under Ubuntu, Linux Mint &c is removed in the final stages of the install, God only knows why, probably conceived as a safety precaution.

With GParted installed, and your new Mintie being the one that boots first (remember "TLS"? The Leaderboard Shuffle) ... once you have the new one working sweet, you can use GParted to remove the original one, and either reclaim the space or install another distro, and so forth. Handy.

ALSO keep your live USB stick, gives you a handy instance of "GParted Live" as well as offering "chroot" options if you need them.

Cheers and well done.

... and of course

avagudweegend

Wizard

BTW - don't forget to enable your firewall "sudo ufw enable" on the new one

Edited - added BTW

Gents Im calling it. I tested it for 32 boots (just doing a boot then shutdown within linux) and I have 31 successes. It failed once (appears to have gotten hung up and took me to a text screen asking for a login. VICTORY!
Final Score: Wizard, Atanare, PcbuilderEd-1
Linux -0
Fellas I want to seriously THANK YOU!. This has been a huge challenge and I sincerely appreciate all of your time, perserverance, expertise, knowledge, but most of all your patience. There is no way I would have solved any of these problems without your help. I m in your debt. I have some steps I need to clean this all up but for now Ill enjoy a system that boots for a a few days.

I put that one in because the title says it all, but it is also one of the prettier versions of one of my favourite songs.

Wrap this one up and bag it folks.

Looking forward to sharing more of your Linux adventures with you, Ed, if you'll have us?

avagudweegend

Wizard

Gents Im calling it. I tested it for 32 boots (just doing a boot then shutdown within linux) and I have 31 successes. It failed once (appears to have gotten hung up and took me to a text screen asking for a login. VICTORY!
Final Score: Wizard, Atanare, PcbuilderEd-1
Linux -0
Fellas I want to seriously THANK YOU!. This has been a huge challenge and I sincerely appreciate all of your time, perserverance, expertise, knowledge, but most of all your patience. There is no way I would have solved any of these problems without your help. I m in your debt. I have some steps I need to clean this all up but for now Ill enjoy a system that boots for a a few days.

In my best Homer voice, "Woo hoo!" :D:D:D:D

(Edit: Didn't have time to add media clip this morning.)

Latest posts