Installing LM on a SSD

Oh, I am SO glad, mate :D

It was a concern of mine that you might be disconsolate, and I could not blame you.

That memtest can be a PITA for the time it takes, and some have reported for just having to break out of it. But if it gives the all clear on the RAM sticks, then the msdos over gpt option seems to my mind to be the next logical step.

Manufacturers can have a mindset focused on orienting their product to a certain OS, and so there can be impediments in our way to installing our beloved Linux that can be difficult to overcome. I have a lot of empathy for persons employed as Help Desk Support, and wish I could be sitting at your shoulder and perhaps cry out "I know what it is. Do this." Lol.

Keep the faith, and one way or another you/we will crack this bugger.

Cheers

Wiz

IMG_0201.JPG
Ok so I ended up stopping the memory test . I don't know if it was done but I was at hour 46 so we had to be at least close? Took a pic. Can run it again if I need. In terms of your comments wiz and atanare I'm definitely a preserverrer so meh... my sister is a marine. That's how we roll lol. So I'm happy to keep pushing on if its for a goal. My only thought is let me know if i move past the success phase. Virtue is good, obsessively trying to fill a draining pool with water... meh. The privacy issue with windows is a real problem for me so work to get set is worth it. Worst case for me is having windows while virtual boxing Linux. With the ssd it's still a decent solution. So again thanks to YOU guys for working on this!

... my sister is a marine

I am impressed, you & your family must be so proud.

Virtue is good, obsessively trying to fill a draining pool with water... meh.

I love that, can I use that?

With your pics, you could do with rotating them 90 degrees clockwise, I have to lean to one side to try to make sense of them. Clear, though.

Doesn't surprise me about memtest, watching paint dry is far more riveting, IMO, But if there was a prob, I expect you would have had it reported by now.

So there is our "let's set up the Partition Table back to msdos" option and go again.

But question, did you try my input from #55, page 3?

https://www.linux.org/threads/installing-lm-on-a-ssd.13200/page-3#post-45948

... and if so, what was the outcome? It can't hurt anything.

Cheers

Wiz

I am impressed, you & your family must be so proud.

I love that, can I use that?

With your pics, you could do with rotating them 90 degrees clockwise, I have to lean to one side to try to make sense of them. Clear, though.

Doesn't surprise me about memtest, watching paint dry is far more riveting, IMO, But if there was a prob, I expect you would have had it reported by now.

So there is our "let's set up the Partition Table back to msdos" option and go again.

But question, did you try my input from #55, page 3?

https://www.linux.org/threads/installing-lm-on-a-ssd.13200/page-3#post-45948

... and if so, what was the outcome? It can't hurt anything.

Cheers

Wiz
We are certainly proud... I would never say this though...fraternal competition....
We've been one upping each other for years but I think she got that round for sure.lol. Seriously though we are.
Please use that. Lol

Are the pictures sideways? They appear upright to me. But I could definitely fill the whole frame more if that is useful? Sorry I'm a bit newer to forums and all the formatting options are beyond me. I try to insert emojis but they disappear... pictures are out of order... etc...

Do you think the memory test wasn't finished? Should it stop automatically? I could run it again if needed, just thought it might not end itself or needed an input from me possibly.

Ilet me check on the post 55.
Thanks wiz 07

Last edited:
Hi Ed! I assume this picture is on your computer. Open it with your photo editor and rotate the picture 90 deg. clockwise, then save it and upload again.

@Bayou Bengal

I knew that, lol. I was joking with my wife over coffee that it was because here in Australia we are standing on our heads, but that leaves 90 degrees out of 180.

Do you think the memory test wasn't finished? Should it stop automatically? I could run it again if needed, just thought it might not end itself or needed an input from me possibly.

I am only a novice with memtest86+, others might be better placed to comment. I don't think I would trouble myself/yourself to repeat it.

Cheers

Wiz

Nope, but it's pretty, royal blue is one of my fave colours.

What I've done is save it as EdX.jpg (number indeterminate hence the X, may do it with the others) and I'll rotate it and take a gander (look).

Back soon

Wiz

For the benefit of The Viewers:

cGzyf5e.png

I am by no means an expert in memtest86+, but what I can see from this is as follows:

• The testing has been running for nearly 46 hours
  • The OP has 8GB RAM, in the form of 2 x 4GB sticks
  • The picture above is reflecting the testing being undertaken on the last 2GB of the 2nd stick of RAM, ie nearly at a finish
  • After 18 passes on that stick, memtest86+ has found 0 (zero) errors
BTW CPU temp (66 degrees Celsius/Centigrade) is no higher than might be expected of any laptop. But hotter than Las Vegas when I was there last, lol.

So correct me if I am wrong, someone, but I think we can rule out Memory problems.

To my mind, that leaves us with getting from the OP the data or input from the suggestions at #55 page 3, and if they fail, then looking at the option of reverting the SSD from gpt back to msdos.

That being said, these are the OP's decisions to make.

Cheers all, and thanks for the piccies, Ed

Wiz

Well fancy that - an ocean apart (I take it you are US) and we wrote at the same time, lol.

I take it from friend Bayou Bengal's input earlier that he sees the same as I. But don't worry about that, we can sort that after the priorities. I don't mind spinning the pics, only takes a couple of minutes.

Wiz

Ok! So I tried the atanare 5 step process and those links were good but it wouldn't let me do anything in the command line as I wasn't in recovery mode. Not sure how to enable this.
However I moved to wiz post55 and here is how things played out.

Pressing "shift" at boot sidestepped he error and enabled grub.
Entered "c" to get the command line.
Entered "ls"
First there were three options, the final being hd0,msdos5. I did as stated but I DID have to type in "msdos5".
Resulting in-
Set prefix=(Hd0,msdos5)/boot
Insmode normal
Normal

This took me to the boot menu where I was able to boot from he standard selection. "Linux mint". -@I'm going to put pics in here in a bit@-

Last edited:
Continued-
Now I am in Linux mint. Opened the command line and tried to update the grub but received the error seen.

-pic-

Next I tried rebooting and continued getting the same error on boot (trying to load outside hd0). However after a second try I WAS able to boot from the
"Linux mint advanced" option
(Something) generic

This DID boot.
I then updated the grub again. This time it appeared successful. I rebooted and I still get the same boot error (boot outside the hd0) but it seems that now I can boot from the "generic" option under advanced now.

-pic-

Last edited:
Unfortunately you all broke my ability to upload pictures.... they are all rotated now. I think it's auto correcting it. That or atanare ninjaed this all so he doesn't have to get up off the floor when he's passed out to see them. I feel the second is the most likely scenario

Wow, Utah, now I can factor in the timezone diffs.

...so he doesn't have to get up off the floor when he's passed out to see them

Ouch, unkind. Though you may be joking (I enjoy a beer as much as the next man).

A lot of the above is very encouraging, I hope you find it so? Because if we can get in and fix things via this approach, it leaves us able to rule out a need to restructure back to msdos.

But it's coming up on 1AM your time and yes I know I am old enough to be your father. That being said, this is best done with rest, but your call.

Cheers

Wiz

Ah apologies atanare was supposed to be a hilarious reference to fun beer moments... no offense intended... my internet sarcasm not coming through. :confused::( After rereading it's definitely not my best delivery, completely wrong :eek::(I am sincerely sorry if it was at all harsh.

Yes it is nice and very encouraging. Being able to booot somehow can get the command line which seems to open up plenty of options. Ah think I just figured out forum emojis! Hopefully this will avoid awkward bad humor moments!:oops:

Last edited:
Ah apologies atanare was supposed to be a hilarious reference to fun beer moments... no offense intended... my internet sarcasm not coming through. After rereading it's definitely not my best delivery, completely wrong :eek::confused::(I am sincerely sorry if it was at all harsh.

Yes it is nice and very encouraging. Being able to booot somehow can get the command line which seems to open up plenty of options. Ah think I just figured out forum emojis! Hopefully this will avoid awkward bad humor moments!:oops:

No harm, no foul. I saw the humor right away! And since I'm up all night working the late shift, I can assure you I'm quite sober... for now. :p:D

I've just been enjoying your picture-flipping memtesting fun while deleting all the spammers who drift in during the wee hours.

Too difficult posting from my phone though, so I'm rooting for you (get the pun?) from the sidelines. Glad you got emojis working... now for Mint! :D:D

BTW, the pics were sideways for me too. If you are using a phone, and if you are turning the phone sideways... don't. That might help.

OK I am past my bedtime but to keep you & The Viewers going, time to do some White Juju - good voodoo, to implement a semi-permanent fix.

I just need clarification on the following

Next I tried rebooting and continued getting the same error on boot (trying to load outside hd0). However after a second try I WAS able to boot from the
"Linux mint advanced" option
(Something) generic

This DID boot.
I then updated the grub again. This time it appeared successful. I rebooted and I still get the same boot error (boot outside the hd0) but it seems that now I can boot from the "generic" option under advanced now.

I have Aspergers Syndrome and a bunch of other goodies so I wonder if either of the above paragraphs involves being able to get into a GUI desktop, the Cinnamon Desktop with Welcome screen and all, or simply to a textual prompt that says eg

Code:
grub>

If it is the case that you can get into the Desktop, then go to Terminal and type and enter

Code:
sudo nano /etc/default/grub

In the Grub files, the first 4 lines will have a # at the beginning of each line. The next lines might look something like this

Code:
GRUB_DEFAULT=0
GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0
GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true
GRUB_TIMEOUT=10
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""

Reproduce them for us, including any hash or hashes at the start of any line.

Gotta go.

Wiz

Members online