Installing AMD GPU on Ubuntu 22.04

wolly

Reaction score
Credits
Hi I have a graphics card R5 240 and I want it to install the driver to it.My driver version is 14.04. The question is can I install this graphics card to the new version of Ubuntu? Will there be errors?

I'm a noob and I don't know how to install the GPU driver.Is the driver already installed in the PC?

@wolly :- Welcome to the forums.

TBH, you don't even HAVE to install proprietary drivers for major GPUs at all. If your usage isn't demanding, then the built-in kernel module "nouveau" driver works fine for Nvidia.....and for AMD, the corresponding "radeon" driver will do what you want.

If you want the official, proprietary drivers, that's also possible.....but others will need to talk you through installation for those. I run a small, lightweight distro called 'Puppy' Linux, and we literally compile our own GPU drivers 'in-situ' with a custom, home-brewed utility. Installation for most 'mainstream' distros is very different..!

Mike. ;)

If you want the official, proprietary drivers, that's also possible.....but others will need to talk you through installation for those. I run a small, lightweight distro called 'Puppy' Linux, and we literally compile our own GPU drivers 'in-situ' with a custom, home-brewed utility. Installation for most 'mainstream' distros is very different..!

Mike. ;)
That's what I want the proprietary drivers of the GPU

I think the last update was around 2015 AMD Catalyst Graphics Driver for Linux 15.9

No kudos for cross posting on Linuxquestions and linux.org. That driver is wrong. You posted a Screenshot with the "Firmware bug" looking for an IOAPIC. It's looking for a previous generation of PC hardware using the Northbridge/Southbridge motherboard design. I gather your Motherboard has PCIE lanes and a PCIE bus. Use the kernel GPU drivers. I will report your thread on LQ, and it may be closed

Well I'm new to Linux and that's why I didn't know what to do.
@business_kid sorry for bothering you but I was stucked with this and I didn't know how to solve my issue.

No kudos for cross posting on Linuxquestions and linux.org. That driver is wrong. You posted a Screenshot with the "Firmware bug" looking for an IOAPIC. It's looking for a previous generation of PC hardware using the Northbridge/Southbridge motherboard design. I gather your Motherboard has PCIE lanes and a PCIE bus. Use the kernel GPU drivers. I will report your thread on LQ, and it may be closed
So that means my PC can't install the GPU driver?
I've seen the model but I don't know if it will work on a new version.

Generally that /etc/initramfs-tools/initramfs.conf file you may need to change COMPRESS=lz4 to COMPRESS=gzip
Save the changes then:

and reboot.
I can't edit and save the file.It says I don't have permission to edit file.What should I do?

I can't edit and save the file.It says I don't have permission to edit file.What should I do?
You need to open it in root

sudo gedit /etc/initramfs-tool/initramfs.conf
I am pretty sure the text editor for Ubuntu is Gedit - once open make the change and resave the file then reboot - if it does not work you can always change it back

Try your graphics without any driver. Any modern kernel already has Radeon/AMD drivers as kernel modules. You're going to get adequate but niot exceptional performance from them. Linux isn't windows, and AMD≠Nvidia. The kernel will load the correct module. I have an AMD RX6600XT, which is a decent video card by standards. I don't load anything. The kernel does.

Generally that /etc/initramfs-tools/initramfs.conf file you may need to change COMPRESS=lz4 to COMPRESS=gzip
Save the changes then:

and reboot.
How do I get root access to the folder?I don't know what command to use and I use the version 22.04.Should I upgrade to another version?

@wolly :-

Sheesh. You're absolutely determined to have the proprietary drivers, aren't ya? You ARE aware that, even with these, you won't get half of the fancy features that are provided under Windows.....yes? No?

As @business_kid has said - and I stated further back - if your demands are not completely OTT, the built-in radeon module will do all that most people ask of it. You need to develop different expectations for Linux; even though it's starting to be regarded as a viable gaming platform (largely thanks to Steam & Proton), you still won't get the fancy features available under Windows.

Sorry, but it's best to be "up-front" about this stuff.......so people don't develop false expectations.

Mike. o_O

Latest posts