In today's article, we learn how to install INXI

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
You good folks should already know this. This article really isn't for you, it's for those that don't know. We often want the data from INXI to give someone support, but they don't necessarily know how to install it. This article explains how to install it on pretty much everything out there, even those without a package manager. This is a link that'll save some time, I hope...

Feedback is awesome.

inxi isn't in the default Arch repos so you would need to install it from the AUR but it is in the default Manjaro repos, I would change it.
To: Manjaro:

LOL I only checked Manjaro, having trashed my Arch VM a while back. That's what I get for assuming! Thanks! It shall be corrected shortly.

They can also probably manually install it, complete with man pages, with just a couple of commands.

For other Arch based distributions such as EndeavourOS I would expect that to be the same since they seem to lean more towards vanilla Arch than Manjaro does.

For other Arch based distributions such as EndeavourOS I would expect that to be the same since they seem to lean more towards vanilla Arch than Manjaro does.

I really need to rebuild my Arch VM. Rather than make a new VM, I started it and used a live OS. I do that often, rather than make a new one - as I don't expect to install them. Well, a little bit of wine later, and I've installed an OS over it without realizing what I was doing.

yes and slackware isn't dead (yet) so you might include : http://slackbuilds.org/repository/14.2/system/inxi/?search=inxi

I really don't use Slackware enough to feel comfortable. I haven't installed it in ages. I never got around to installing the new beta, either.

"Slackware:

You can download the SlackBuild here, and then install it as normal."

That close enough? Slackware users can also likely use the manual method listed.

If you don't have the time to install Arch, I can recommend Archlabs. I find that distribution the closest to Vanilla Arch, as in it seems to be an installer and then install vanilla Arch with only a couple extra packages which you can remove as well as then disabling that extra repo in pacman.conf.

I really need to rebuild my Arch VM. Rather than make a new VM, I started it and used a live OS. I do that often, rather than make a new one - as I don't expect to install them. Well, a little bit of wine later, and I've installed an OS over it without realizing what I was doing.

I really don't use Slackware enough to feel comfortable. I haven't installed it in ages. I never got around to installing the new beta, either.

"Slackware:

You can download the SlackBuild here, and then install it as normal."

That close enough? Slackware users can also likely use the manual method listed.
That close enough?
and then install it as normal
Normal meaning , i then go and look for the source to go with the slackbuild ? i'm pulling your leg here a bit

Now the "manual" method you state on L'tips would work ; the slackbuild actually puts inxi into /usr/bin not /usr/local/bin Now there's a reason Slackers would avoid that method; along with ./configure etc etc

Could be another article. Anyway a slackbuild is a bash script that carries out something along the lines of your manual method, but it evokes makepkg and the resulting pkg is installed using installpkg <pkg> Really this brings up the whole point about Linux package management systems , the important element being that your system knows something was installed; that the pkg could be cleanly un-installed and aso that when the source is improved , then another newer package can be installed and the system knows knows all about it; which is newer etc.

Its ok to have one or two manual installs , but too many would be bad practice

Last edited:
If you don't have the time to install Arch, I can recommend Archlabs. I find that distribution the closest to Vanilla Arch, as in it seems to be an installer and then install vanilla Arch with only a couple extra packages which you can remove as well as then disabling that extra repo in pacman.conf.
Anarchy is as far as i can see a pure vanilla Arch installer- but if i ever get another laptop or tower , i'm going to try Archlabs , just to compare

Anarchy is as far as i can see a pure vanilla Arch installer- but if i ever get another laptop or tower , i'm going to try Archlabs , just to compare
I tried Anarchy but Anarhcy didn't support LVM setups which Archlabs does, so that makes me prefer Archlabs if I have to recommend one to someone.

If you don't have the time to install Arch,

The last time I installed Arch, I cheated and used a script (python?) that took me through the installation process quickly. It was damned handy.

using installpkg <pkg>

I'm vaguely familiar with --installpkg-file-name... Vaguely...

I'm going to wait until 15 is out and install it anew. I think I'll do the same with Arch, probably without cheating and using a script. I assume someone will post a thread when the next Slackware is released.

no it will mostly be a quiet post, page three on an existing thread. it seems if my eye don't deceive me the last LTS kernel release was 5.10 slackware seems to be testing 5.13 so maybe the slackware15 release will co-inside with the next LTS kernel , whenever that is 5.13.8 was released yesterday

Last edited:
Come on man! I have a "Roll-my-own-Linux" personal distribution. I need to know how to install from the source!

Excuse me while I troll this thread. :p

Come on man! I have a "Roll-my-own-Linux" personal distribution. I need to know how to install from the source!

@KGIII I think you should also add how to install inxi on LFS, in case some LFS reader stumbles upon your inxi article. ;)

no it will mostly be a quiet post, page three on an existing thread

If I notice first, I'll let folks know. It's bound to pop up as a news item eventually. If I notice first, I'll make a thread here. It'll almost certainly be titled "Slackware isn't dead!"

LOL The manual method should work for every distro, unless you've really made it unusual. I did the Linux From Scratch and Beyond Linux From Scratch a while back (read, years ago) and I'm pretty sure it'd have worked in that and mine resulting OS was a hot mess.

@KGIII I think you should also add how to install inxi on LFS, in case some LFS reader stumbles upon your inxi article. ;)

LOL I was just mentioning that as you must have pressed the enter button on your comment! Great minds think alike!

I'm pretty sure that it'd have worked (the manual method) in my resulting OS when I did LFS and BLFS. The end result was an OS that kinda worked but was entirely unmaintainable and a horrible hodgepodge of screwed up dependencies. But, INXI doesn't need too much - so it *should* have worked.

LOL The manual method should work for every distro, unless you've really made it unusual. I did the Linux From Scratch and Beyond Linux From Scratch a while back (read, years ago) and I'm pretty sure it'd have worked in that and mine resulting OS was a hot mess.
HotMess Linux. I like it! ;)

It's an apt description. There's another Linux forum that I no longer have time to frequent and there are some serious LFS fans there. One of them is an elderly lady which is pretty awesome. I figure she knows more about operating systems than I'll ever know. She (and the rest) must have done something right, 'cause they have functional operating systems that can actually be maintained and are stable.

The folks that build entirely unique distros are an impressive group of people. I could probably make one based on Ubuntu with just my own preferences and software choices, but I don't consider that much of a unique distro. Also, I'd hate to maintain such a distro. I don't have time for that!

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts