I think im getting hacked

Tdradio72

Reaction score
Credits
I've attempted Ubuntu install and mint/cinnamon. I figured my bios boot settings for USB stick and made a os password after install. I got to the point where I log in password on wifi and update video card drivers online When I discovered my mint OS password didn't work. But my bios admin password did work. Next day I decided to try Ubuntu clean install over the previous try and everything went smooth until I tried to log in and found out my bios password didn't work. Now I can't get access to any part of my laptop. I'm now without any clue what to do to get back in the bios to start another attempt. Any one have suggestion how I can do this? I may have gotten hacked.

How can you create a password after the install.
1716073015290.gif

got hacked

got any noteworthy enemies? If not, and you're not rich either, or a high profile target for whatever other reason, i'd deem that rather unlikely (but maybe the neighbors kid found kali and thought its funny, you never know).

Also if people hack you, they mostly want to see / exploit what you do, not block you from doing it.

bios password

you cant get into the bios settings or you cant boot at all anymore?
If so not sure, never had that. How do you flash the BIOS then?

Check this maybe https://www.wikihow.com/Reset-a-BIOS-Password

My favorite part "Visit the password generator website. Visit bios-pw.org/ on another computer's web browser. This website can generate backdoor passwords based on the code that was displayed.[1]" xD

Blunix, thanks for the solutions. I'll give it a shot. And about being hacked I do have bad nexdoor neighbors kids that are about in the teens. Trouble makers.

I doubt that you have got hacked. What are the chances that someone would know that you just installed Mint who would make so easy to discover that box is compromised by doing such obvious thing as changing password.
Easiest explanation is that you set mistakenly wrong password.

I hope hat you will enjoy Mint without more issues.

Well I am a Newby to Linux and computers. Let's hope I made some mistakes installing . This forum is a good place to learn and enjoyed getting the advice. I felt like I was in a black hole with no hope. Now I can see some light. Thanks and gratitude!

To reset your BIOS password remove the CMOS battery from the MOBO. BIOS shouldn't be password protected anymore when you put it back.

Is the HDD or SSD password protected? Some PCs ship out that way by default and could also be causing problems. I had that issue with an old Lenovo.

To reset your BIOS password remove the CMOS battery from the MOBO. BIOS shouldn't be password protected anymore when you put it back.

Is the HDD or SSD password protected? Some PCs ship out that way by default and could also be causing problems. I had that issue with an old Lenovo.
Being able to do that would depend on how old the OP's laptop is. The majority of newer machines no longer have a battery. Not sure why. But I'd probably guess being able to do what you suggest is now considered a security issue.

If the laptop is newer than 2010 then in most cases a BIOS purge can be achieved by

boot up machine [if already booted then save any work.files/folders] then press and hold the power button down for 60 seconds, release and switch on again

Being able to do that would depend on how old the OP's laptop is. The majority of newer machines no longer have a battery. Not sure why. But I'd probably guess being able to do what you suggest is now considered a security issue.
Remember the time when thinkpads were made by IBM and you could beat sbd to death with the thing, throw it out of the window, jump out of the window, land on the laptop and it barely had a scratch?

Hard to find these machines these days xD

Lenovo still makes one every now and then then is a far cry from this kinda quality but better than all of the other nonsense.

I discovered my mint OS password didn't work. But my bios admin password did work.
Please check keyboard layout is same as it was when you created the password, ex. English keyboard layout was and is used.

But my bios admin password did work.
Because keyboard layout in that context is always the same.

Next day I decided to try Ubuntu clean install over the previous try and everything went smooth until I tried to log in and found out my bios password didn't work. Now I can't get access to any part of my laptop. I'm now without any clue what to do to get back in the bios to start another attempt.
CMOS reset should reset BIOS password, the procedure depends on your motherboard, please share it.

Remember the time when thinkpads were made by IBM and you could beat sbd to death with the thing, throw it out of the window, jump out of the window, land on the laptop and it barely had a scratch?

Hard to find these machines these days xD

Lenovo still makes one every now and then then is a far cry from this kinda quality but better than all of the other nonsense.
I have an eraly-mid 2000s Toshiba laptop that has hit asphalt from the seat of a Peterbilt. Yeah. Don't lay things on a jacket with one door open and open the other door while the wind is in hurricane mode! Laptop got a few scratches. But still runs to this day. (as long as it's plugged in :cool: )

Members online

No members online now.